Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psykomatik
Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by Psykomatik » Mon May 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:Two very good looking episodes in a row. I'm pretty pleased, but also pretty worried...
Be scared for 93. Kitano's back. Freeza's back. Those two aren't mixing well.
Remember 24...

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:Two very good looking episodes in a row. I'm pretty pleased, but also pretty worried...
Remember 24...
6 weeks for Kitano, 8 weeks for Ono's studio and probably a whole lot of Ide corrections.
I don't think 93 will come out bad looking, most of Kitano's stuff will probably be redone by Ide.
Why would two good looking episodes in a row be something to worry about? It's kind of the standard for the show now for episodes to be solid.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Mon May 22, 2017 4:41 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:
Remember 24...
6 weeks for Kitano, 8 weeks for Ono's studio and probably a whole lot of Ide corrections.
I don't think 93 will come out bad looking, most of Kitano's stuff will probably be redone by Ide.
Why would two good looking episodes in a row be something to worry about? It's kind of the standard for the show now for episodes to be solid.
The show now definitely looks good. Certainly a night and day difference from the earlier parts of the series. But the last two episodes were above even the current average and if one thing about the animation has been similar since the beginning of Super it's Toei blowing its load on certain episodes and then following it up with really poor and rushed ones. Just look at the last chunks of the Goku Black arc.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Octorockandroll wrote: The show now definitely looks good. Certainly a night and day difference from the earlier parts of the series. But the last two episodes were above even the current average and if one thing about the animation has been similar since the beginning of Super it's Toei blowing its load on certain episodes and then following it up with really poor and rushed ones. Just look at the last chunks of the Goku Black arc.
There were only 3 animators on this episode and only 4 series regular animators on episode 90. No loads have been blown.
90 did have 4 assistant supervisors, but that episode was somewhat rushed due to Golden Week and their presence on it probably won't affect future episodes much, if at all.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm

@Ajay, when do you think you are going to catch up with those staff roundup episodes? Not to rush you or anything.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Psykomatik wrote:I still prefer the final version of this shot.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Was that in the episode or BD?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon May 22, 2017 7:16 pm

kinisking wrote:Was that in the episode or BD?
The initial episode. The iffy Kitano shot was only ever a preview image. It was corrected before the episode aired.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Mon May 22, 2017 7:52 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote: The show now definitely looks good. Certainly a night and day difference from the earlier parts of the series. But the last two episodes were above even the current average and if one thing about the animation has been similar since the beginning of Super it's Toei blowing its load on certain episodes and then following it up with really poor and rushed ones. Just look at the last chunks of the Goku Black arc.
There were only 3 animators on this episode and only 4 series regular animators on episode 90. No loads have been blown.
90 did have 4 assistant supervisors, but that episode was somewhat rushed due to Golden Week and their presence on it probably won't affect future episodes much, if at all.
Well if that's true then hopefully we can look forward to more episodes looking like this. I would love if this became the new standard for dragonball super, even though I know that's probably not gonna happen.

-Vegeta

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:Did anyone spot Itai on the preview? He was supposed to be the animation supervisor according to NewType!
This is the only shot that stuck out as him to me (at least I think it's him).
Definitely looks a little rough, similar to his work on 76.
Pretty sure it is Ishikawa, at least Bulma is.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Alee9977 wrote:Pretty sure it is Ishikawa, at least Bulma is.
The jaw does remind me of recent Ishikawa, but I'm not comfortable saying for sure.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Ishikawa seems to have changed his style for the worse. Don't know why, his character art was great.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 pm

I honestly thought it was Kitano, and none of recent Ishikawa's episodes gave me that feel, so...
Perhaps NewType missed it? 92 with Ishikawa and Kitano, 93 with Ono and Itai?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Bulma eyes seem like Ishikawa to me and his recent episodes look like they have rushed art. Even though the episodes that he worked on weren't rushed, for some reason he's giving characters ugly long necks and drawing eyes to wide. The character faces have barely any detail put into them, it's akin to a Yashima drawing. His art to me, off judging his recent episodes, is in the same league with Kitano and Yashima.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:
Ajay wrote:

That was some Shida level work. Heck I could see that scene fitting perfectly in the opening.

As for the storyboard...this must be a result of the schedule improving. There was a lot of detail. Maybe their "tournament non-filler" episodes are storyboarded in advance ?
I usually don't like much Tate (mainly because of his art), but sometimes I appreciate his work and that one was really good, still it would be better if it had less hearts and the pink background all over it. It's like they can not portrayal a magical girl transforming without going "full girly", which is a lame stereotype.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Mon May 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Noah wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:
Ajay wrote:

That was some Shida level work. Heck I could see that scene fitting perfectly in the opening.

As for the storyboard...this must be a result of the schedule improving. There was a lot of detail. Maybe their "tournament non-filler" episodes are storyboarded in advance ?
I usually don't like much Tate (mainly because of his art), but sometimes I appreciate his work and that one was really good, still it would be better if it had less hearts and the pink background all over it. It's like they can not portrayal a magical girl transforming without going "full girly", which is a lame stereotype.
But it's a parody .-.

Why wouldn't they make it stereotypical?

-Vegeta

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:But it's a parody .-.

Cause it looks cheap? "Oh let's have one magical girl in show, shooting hearts in a pink background because there's nothing more feminine than hearts and the color pink"
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Noah wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:But it's a parody .-.

Cause it looks cheap? "Oh let's have one magical girl in show, shooting hearts in a pink background because there's nothing more feminine than hearts and the color pink"
That's how it usually is, though. What do you expect, for them to make a parody of a magical girl that has little or no actual resemblance to a magical girl?
Retired.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 22, 2017 11:34 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:That's how it usually is, though. What do you expect, for them to make a parody of a magical girl that has little or no actual resemblance to a magical girl?
You have magical girls transforming just just fine without exaggerated stereotypes.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Noah wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:That's how it usually is, though. What do you expect, for them to make a parody of a magical girl that has little or no actual resemblance to a magical girl?
You have magical girls transforming just just fine without exaggerated stereotypes.
Considering that it's specifically a Precure reference, and the original Sailor Moon isn't representative of the current trends, this example doesn't really apply.
Retired.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Noah wrote:
'Exaggerated stereotypes', tropes and clichés are the Japanese comics, animation, game and light novel industries in a nutshell. It's what people like to create and consume.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf