Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:09 am

ArchedThunder wrote:So apparently we're getting a break for the first week of January, so that will be helpful in spreading the supervisors back out as well!
Yeah, I think that break is going to be coming around about the start of the new arc. I hope it leads to the episodes after having a higher level of polish! :D

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:36 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Here's all the stuff from the Saiyan saga(surprisingly all from the same episode)
[spoiler]Image

[/spoiler]
Funny how all of those were by Shimanuki xD
Last edited by iAnimationLover_ on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:57 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Here's all the stuff from the Saiyan saga(surprisingly all from the same episode)
[spoiler]Image

[/spoiler]
I think Kazuya Hisada, another big name on Z, was credited with the gif. The rest were by Shimanuki. His effects works were really spectacular back in the day. Also Background animation :D

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:41 am

JazzMazz wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
I think Kazuya Hisada, another big name on Z, was credited with the gif. The rest were by Shimanuki. His effects works were really spectacular back in the day. Also Background animation :D

Its all awesome :lol:

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Does someone know who drew these shots? They are from episode 7 (the one which Kitano supervised) Does that mean poor Kitano is good but he just developed an Ugly style later on or it is just because of the horrible schedule in Super? [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I mean, IMO, I like those shots, they have something I liked but I don't know how to explain it.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:56 pm

neolux wrote:Does someone know who drew these shots? They are from episode 7 (the one which Kitano supervised) Does that mean poor Kitano is good but he just developed an Ugly style later on or it is just because of the horrible schedule in Super? [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I mean, IMO, I like those shots, they have something I liked but I don't know how to explain it.
Kitano might just be a really slow animator? He definitely shouldn't be a supervisor if that's the case. Super's schedule will chew him up and spit him out. :lol:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:52 pm

neolux wrote:Does someone know who drew these shots? They are from episode 7 (the one which Kitano supervised) Does that mean poor Kitano is good but he just developed an Ugly style later on or it is just because of the horrible schedule in Super?
The second one's Kitano, but I don't know if the first one is though, It could be partially corrected.

You're right though, Kitano definitely went downhill once the schedule died. You get instances like the second half of #51 where he clearly had more time, and his work is suddenly significantly better.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Ajay wrote: The second one's Kitano, but I don't know if the first one is though, It could be partially corrected.

You're right though, Kitano definitely went downhill once the schedule died. You get instances like the second half of #51 where he clearly had more time, and his work is suddenly significantly better.
And then once the schedule got better they started throwing Kitano under the bus! I feel sorry for the dude, I hope going forward he doesn't have to be treated like he was in the second half of this arc.
I get why it had to be done, but the dude is simply not fast enough for the role he sometimes fills.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:02 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Ajay wrote: The second one's Kitano, but I don't know if the first one is though, It could be partially corrected.

And then once the schedule got better they started throwing Kitano under the bus! I feel sorry for the dude, I hope going forward he doesn't have to be treated like he was in the second half of this arc.
I get why it had to be done, but the dude is simply not fast enough for the role he sometimes fills.
Yea it sucks :/ He gets 5 weeks on average for 1 episode. instead of the usual 6 weeks

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:29 pm

nite_jay wrote:
neolux wrote:Does someone know who drew these shots? They are from episode 7 (the one which Kitano supervised) Does that mean poor Kitano is good but he just developed an Ugly style later on or it is just because of the horrible schedule in Super? [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Kitano might just be a really slow animator? He definitely shouldn't be a supervisor if that's the case. Super's schedule will chew him up and spit him out. :lol:
This reminded me why I used to like Kitano so much! The Gohan drawing is incredible. It almost reminds me of Shimanuki for some reason even though it's more than distinct enough where you can tell its not him. The vegeta drawing is relatively good too. I miss this Kitano. He's not cut out for super apparently.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Though I've only seen half of the episode it was pretty ugly, Kitano delivers big time. Only a few scene were okayish. Also, potential bank animation in the Kamehameha, Final Flash scene, all they would need to do is make some minor alterations and I can see that being used later down the line(though probably not).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 pm

I caught a little of the second half and it was a significant improvement. Be interested to see who it was. Some drawings were so on-model that I was almost tempted to guess Yamamuro. Probably not, though.

Deadtuber.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Ajay wrote:I caught a little of the second half and it was a significant improvement. Be interested to see who it was. Some drawings were so on-model that I was almost tempted to guess Yamamuro. Probably not, though.
That would be hilarious. Episodes like these are where I want Yamamuro, though.
Retired.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:39 pm

The next episode looks great!
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
kill me

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:42 pm

The first half looked awful, but man did the quality improve in the second half of the episode. I think a re-watch of the episode in HD is really needed to get a better grasp of the quality of the episode. But so far it seems a very mixed bag.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:48 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:The next episode looks great!
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
From what I've seen of the preview, it doesn't look half bad. I think it's probably not going to be an episode with a lot of movement though.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:57 pm

I haven't seen the episode yet, but the way you guys are talking it reminds me of 62, Kitano delivering a bad half and then someone doing a better second half.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Supposedly it was Yukihiro Kitano and Hiroyuki Sakai supervising. Doesn't add up to what NewType said, but that was expected.

I'll confirm this once it's up on CrunchyRoll shortly. Sakai seems like someone to look out for, and I'll definitely have to reassess his work in #64 and make sure my guesses were correct, then.

Deadtuber.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Animation Supervisors: Yukihiro Kitano & Hiroyuki Sakai.
Key Animators: Yukihiro Kitano, Atsushi Nikaidō, Yoshitaka Yashima, Nobuyoshi Sasakado, Futoshi Higashide, Toei Phils.
2nd Key Animators: Hiroyuki Sakai, Tomoko Satō, Myū.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Yashima again already? I wonder how much he did.