Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Chuquita wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Animedia and Animage covers are out; the final staff and episode summary spoilers are only a matter of time.
I'm really nervous to see what these final two episodes have in store for us. We know some of the big staff for 131 already thanks to Ajay, and hopefully it's some good content to take full advantage of Takahashi.
I'm worried about Yamamuro and Takahashi being on the same episode; while I do like what Yamamuro did to Toriyama's Complete UI design I don't want Yamamuro touching Takahashi's art style especially on what may be the last time we see Takahashi for a long while.

I want some cool unfiltered Takahashi Complete UI Goku.

For those looking for the magazines, Animedia's next cover has Attack on Titan while Animage has an Easter bunny themed Pop Team Epic.
I would hope Yamamuro is smart enough to leave well enough alone when it comes to Takahashi's art. Toei certainly seemed to get his draw when they were plugging his last episode on social media. But we'll see. I'm not terribly worried about it.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: I'm really nervous to see what these final two episodes have in store for us. We know some of the big staff for 131 already thanks to Ajay, and hopefully it's some good content to take full advantage of Takahashi.
I'm worried about Yamamuro and Takahashi being on the same episode; while I do like what Yamamuro did to Toriyama's Complete UI design I don't want Yamamuro touching Takahashi's art style especially on what may be the last time we see Takahashi for a long while.

For those looking for the magazines, Animedia's next cover has Attack on Titan while Animage has an Easter bunny themed Pop Team Epic.
I would hope Yamamuro is smart enough to leave well enough alone when it comes to Takahashi's art. Toei certainly seemed to get his draw when they were plugging his last episode on social media. But we'll see. I'm not terribly worried about it.
I think we should look at the RoF special to see how Yamamuro and Takahashi look when together. Though at the end, we could see some of Takahashi's drawings.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Asura wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:
Asura wrote:Wasn't my comment, but like I said comparing out of context shots (30 seconds worth) from the NEP to recycled fighting animation that lasts for over 2 minutes isn't at all the same, and isn't what Ajay was talking about.
So if it isn't your comment why are you talking back to me?
Because this is a forum discussion? My answer to you wasn't wrong, I assumed you knew about Ajay's YouTube channel and his expert knowledge on animation which would have lead to the answer that yes, he does watch the NEPs.
Pannaliciour wrote:stop crying and enjoy the free show.
I was just talking about all the hoops people jump through to try and rationalize half of the fighting being reused, but wow, pointing out that it's a "free show" (I pay money to streaming websites to watch it so no, it's not really a free show) and thus we can't complain is probably the worst excuse I've heard yet.
Its sure is a forum discussion but you don't have to speak for him. I ask him a question and you anwser it. That doesn't make sense.

But people can't even appreciated this arc at all. (I am not talking about writing because its a Tournament of POWER, its not suppose to be a oscar telling story) Watching back (episode 5) now seeing almost every week great animation. We have litterly every week a fight in this arc. Do you know how hard that is for those animaters and still they are delivering great art and animation. WHY are people complaining about some reused footage in this episode and totally ignoring the the rest of the animation (at minimum movie quality).

I think people want to complain about this arc either because their favourite character hasn't shine at all (Gohan etc) or because they are so in love with Z or Manga or because the story didn't go how they wanted to go. Either way: you can't have always have what you want

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:
Asura wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:
So if it isn't your comment why are you talking back to me?
Because this is a forum discussion? My answer to you wasn't wrong, I assumed you knew about Ajay's YouTube channel and his expert knowledge on animation which would have lead to the answer that yes, he does watch the NEPs.
Pannaliciour wrote:stop crying and enjoy the free show.
I was just talking about all the hoops people jump through to try and rationalize half of the fighting being reused, but wow, pointing out that it's a "free show" (I pay money to streaming websites to watch it so no, it's not really a free show) and thus we can't complain is probably the worst excuse I've heard yet.
Its sure is a forum discussion but you don't have to speak for him. I ask him a question and you anwser it. That doesn't make sense.

But people can't even appreciated this arc at all. (I am not talking about writing because its a Tournament of POWER, its not suppose to be a oscar telling story) Watching back (episode 5) now seeing almost every week great animation. We have litterly every week a fight in this arc. Do you know how hard that is for those animaters and still they are delivering great art and animation. WHY are people complaining about some reused footage in this episode and totally ignoring the the rest of the animation (at minimum movie quality).

I think people want to complain about this arc either because their favourite character hasn't shine at all (Gohan etc) or because they are so in love with Z or Manga or because the story didn't go how they wanted to go. Either way: you can't have always have what you want
It makes perfect sense when you ask a question that anyone can answer. He runs a YouTube channel with over 30k subscribers dedicated to discussing Dragon Ball Super's animation. Any one of those 30,000+ people could tell you the same thing, yes he watches the NEPs.

You seem to use extremes in all of your arguments. It doesn't have to be an oscar telling story to be good, and it doesn't have to look like episode 5 to be considered not-so-good either. You ask why people are complaining about the reused footage in the episode and ignoring the "movie quality" animation that was in the rest of the episode. There was 2 minutes of brand new action, and 2 minutes of re-used animation, the rest of the episode was just stills or special effects/cgi. Quite literally half of the fight was re-used animation, that's pretty hard to ignore. Furthermore, I wouldn't label much of those 2 minutes of brand new action to be movie quality either. There was some nice stuff in there like the cut at the very beginning of the second half by Karasawa, but aside from that and the MUI reveal, none of it really even compared to 110. That's not to say it was bad because it wasn't at all, it just didn't deliver.

There are plenty of reasons to complain about this arc that don't have to do with whining about one's favorite character or being nostalgic about Z, and I say that as someone who very, very much likes this arc.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:49 pm

majinwarman wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

I think we should look at the RoF special to see how Yamamuro and Takahashi look when together. Though at the end, we could see some of Takahashi's drawings.

Yes indeed that and episode 13. Episode 13 is one of my favorites visually. You can see Yamamuro's presence but also Takahashi's gorgeus cut. I'm not too worried for 131.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Pannaliciour wrote: But people can't even appreciated this arc at all. (I am not talking about writing because its a Tournament of POWER, its not suppose to be a oscar telling story) Watching back (episode 5) now seeing almost every week great animation. We have litterly every week a fight in this arc. Do you know how hard that is for those animaters and still they are delivering great art and animation. WHY are people complaining about some reused footage in this episode and totally ignoring the the rest of the animation (at minimum movie quality).
I Appreciate this arc, overall quality was better than the other arcs animation-wise, but that doesn't serves as a excuse to treat the most important part of the arc like garbage, bringing material that could be probably expected in a yashima episode or a kitano's if he still was a supervisor.
Even the last 3 yashima episodes probably have more highlights than this one.
Idk how's that hard to understand the importance of this moment to see this episode trated like a low priority one, and then we got episodes that could perfectly fit in those practices but guess what, we got better quality on those. It just doesn't make sense.
Pannaliciour wrote: I think people want to complain about this arc either because their favourite character hasn't shine at all (Gohan etc) or because they are so in love with Z or Manga or because the story didn't go how they wanted to go. Either way: you can't have always have what you want
This is nonsense, it has nothing to do with this thread at all to ever think the arguments are biased towards a preference over a character.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: I would hope Yamamuro is smart enough to leave well enough alone when it comes to Takahashi's art. Toei certainly seemed to get his draw when they were plugging his last episode on social media. But we'll see. I'm not terribly worried about it.

Yes indeed that and episode 13. Episode 13 is one of my favorites visually. You can see Yamamuro's presence but also Takahashi's gorgeus cut. I'm not too worried for 131.
I understand that but I kinda want to see Takahashi and Shida together more.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:57 pm

I feel better knowing not many are worried about Yamamuro and Takahashi working together. It gives me more confidence in them as a team too.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:12 am

cuartas wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote: But people can't even appreciated this arc at all. (I am not talking about writing because its a Tournament of POWER, its not suppose to be a oscar telling story) Watching back (episode 5) now seeing almost every week great animation. We have litterly every week a fight in this arc. Do you know how hard that is for those animaters and still they are delivering great art and animation. WHY are people complaining about some reused footage in this episode and totally ignoring the the rest of the animation (at minimum movie quality).
I Appreciate this arc, overall quality was better than the other arcs animation-wise, but that doesn't serves as a excuse to treat the most important part of the arc like garbage, bringing material that could be probably expected in a yashima episode or a kitano's if he still was a supervisor.
Even the last 3 yashima episodes probably have more highlights than this one.
Idk how's that hard to understand the importance of this moment to see this episode trated like a low priority one, and then we got episodes that could perfectly fit in those practices but guess what, we got better quality on those. It just doesn't make sense.
Pannaliciour wrote: I think people want to complain about this arc either because their favourite character hasn't shine at all (Gohan etc) or because they are so in love with Z or Manga or because the story didn't go how they wanted to go. Either way: you can't have always have what you want
This is nonsense, it has nothing to do with this thread at all to ever think the arguments are biased towards a preference over a character.
Thats bullsh.t, you are saying that the epsiode is garbage just for those reused moments? Yeah you are a real dragon ball fan. Enjoy the moments that weren't reused. The rest of the episode was absolute fantastic. Introducing of MUI. And besides that this was't the final.epsiodes. That you think that a episode should be important doesn't mean that Toei should think that to

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 am

Pannaliciour wrote:
Thats bullsh.t, you are saying that the epsiode is garbage just for those reused moments? Yeah you are a real dragon ball fan. Enjoy the moments that weren't reused. The rest of the episode was absolute fantastic. Introducing of MUI. And besides that this was't the final.epsiodes. That you think that a episode should be important doesn't mean that Toei should think that.
Everyone on this website is a Dragon Ball fan. Please refrain from claiming people not to be "real fans" when they have a differing opinion.

As others have stated, this episode was the beginning of the final battle, it needed to be good. Yet literally half of the entire episode was completely reused. We're 3 episodes to the end of the series, reuse of this scale is unacceptable, regardless of how great the new stuff is.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:36 am

Praise the lord! Yamamuro didn't use a KMH pose for Omen Goku on the BD cover!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 am

Episode #130:
Scenario: Yamaguchi Hiroshi
Storyboard & Episode Direction: Nakamura Ryouta
Animation Supervisors: Tate Naoki & Manabe Shuu'ichirou

Episode #131:
Scenario: Tomioka Atsuhiro
Storyboard & Episode Direction: Ishitani Megumi
Animation Supervisor: Yamamuro Tadayoshi

No Nagamine, as expected. I guess he really is going to be directing the 2018 film, then. The animation supervisors for #130 are disappointing, though. I was hoping we would be stuck with a guy who's been wasted elsewhere and has less time and Manabe. Hopefully a bunch of good key animators have spent a lot of time working on the episode.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am

JulieYBM wrote:Episode #130:

Episode #131:

No Nagamine, as expected. I guess he really is going to be directing the 2018 film, then. The animation supervisors for #130 are disappointing, though. I was hoping we would be stuck with a guy who's been wasted elsewhere and has less time and Manabe. Hopefully a bunch of good key animators have spent a lot of time working on the episode.
I can’t tell if this is sarcasm... Any way, Manabe’s last episode was 116 and Tate’s was 118, so i’d say, minus the key animation they’ve done, they still had a good amount of time to work.

I called it WAY BACK that Yamamuro would be the AS for the last episode.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 am

Manabe's last episode was 116,so he has 14 + 3 extra weeks to deliver something.He was an assistant animation supervisor for ep 124,and provided key animation for ep 125,which is propably took a few weeks,but I think,he still has enough time to make something mind-blowing.
Naoki Tate has 12 + 3 weeks.He provided key animation twice,but all of them was really conservative, so hopefully he is gonna animate something really good.In the preview,his section looked quite polished,so Yamamuro and probably other 2nd KAs gonna correct his work.Here is my theory:Yamamuro is doing 2nd KA for almost every single episode in the last 2 months,so maybe he will not have enough time to correct Takahashi's work on 131

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Are there no summaries for the final two episodes? Just the staff listings?

I kinda wish Tomioka was doing both 130 and 131. Having Yamaguchi there makes me think there won't be much plot that week (maybe it'll be an all action episode?). I guess as long as it's a good action episode it won't matter much which one wrote it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:

Episode #131:

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm... Any way, Manabe’s last episode was 116 and Tate’s was 118, so i’d say, minus the key animation they’ve done, they still had a good amount of time to work.

Rabdom User wrote:Manabe's last episode was 116,so he has 14 + 3 extra weeks to deliver something.He was an assistant animation supervisor for ep 124,and provided key animation for ep 125,which is propably took a few weeks,but I think,he still has enough time to make something mind-blowing.
Naoki Tate has 12 + 3 weeks.He provided key animation twice,but all of them was really conservative, so hopefully he is gonna animate something really good.In the preview,his section looked quite polished,so Yamamuro and probably other 2nd KAs gonna correct his work.Here is my theory:Yamamuro is doing 2nd KA for almost every single episode in the last 2 months,so maybe he will not have enough time to correct Takahashi's work on 131
It's not sarcasm. You're working under the odd assumption that Tate and Manabe have been working on this episode for three months now. That would assume that the script and storyboard were finished and there were available key animators already drawing layouts and key animation but we know that isn't going to be true because of the series' history with having a terrible schedule and lack of animators in conjuncture with the fact that Tate and Manabe have both been forced to work on other episodes for the simplest of cuts because nobody else is available to do them.

If Tomioka Atsuhiro of all people couldn't write three consecutive episodes for the end of the series then chances are the schedule is in horrible shape.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Naoki Tate and Manabe supervising 130 is a very good choice in my opinion. I love their art and their animation. Sure we will obviously need some good key animators along them to have a very good episode. Hopefully 130 is where all the big names are and where the battle between Goku and Jiren ends, so 131 can do a proper wrap-up. Takahashi being in 131 doesn't mean the fight has to continue in that episode, as he could be animating some other things such as Super Shenron or a few scenes at the end of the episode.
Even though I would love to see some Takahashi's Ultra Instinct, I have to consider Yamamuro is supervising the whole episode so we most likely won't even see Takahashi's style.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:Thats bullsh.t, you are saying that the epsiode is garbage just for those reused moments? Yeah you are a real dragon ball fan. Enjoy the moments that weren't reused. The rest of the episode was absolute fantastic. Introducing of MUI. And besides that this was't the final.epsiodes. That you think that a episode should be important doesn't mean that Toei should think that to
This post does not live up to our community guidelines on any level whatsoever, and an account strike has been issued against this user.

This type of unacceptable behavior should not be seen as reflective of Kanzenshuu as a website or community, and is not welcome under any circumstances.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

Episode #131:

Rabdom User wrote:Manabe's last episode was 116,so he has 14 + 3 extra weeks to deliver something.He was an assistant animation supervisor for ep 124,and provided key animation for ep 125,which is propably took a few weeks,but I think,he still has enough time to make something mind-blowing.
It's not sarcasm. You're working under the odd assumption that Tate and Manabe have been working on this episode for three months now. That would assume that the script and storyboard were finished and there were available key animators already drawing layouts and key animation but we know that isn't going to be true because of the series' history with having a terrible schedule and lack of animators in conjuncture with the fact that Tate and Manabe have both been forced to work on other episodes for the simplest of cuts because nobody else is available to do them.

If Tomioka Atsuhiro of all people couldn't write three consecutive episodes for the end of the series then chances are the schedule is in horrible shape.
You said that you want to be stuck with someone who was wasted and had less time. Why would ANYONE want that?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"