Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 84

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:19 am

Another nice looking (and animated) episode. Super has been consistent for the eight time in a row, I finally feel like I'm watching a normal show. The schedule should surely be in a much better state nowadays.
They are also taking their time before jumping to the tournament which is something I hoped for, the tournament might actually be incredibly well done.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:01 am

Maybe this question don't belong to this thread (sorry if that's true :oops: ) but are there " big name" (I talk about animator) in animation industry ? And has any 'big name" (if the "big name" exist) worked on the Dragon ball franchise ?

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:51 am

Guesswhoo wrote:Maybe this question don't belong to this thread (sorry if that's true :oops: ) but are there " big name" (I talk about animator) in animation industry ? And has any 'big name" (if the "big name" exist) worked on the Dragon ball franchise ?
Naotoshi Shida, Nakatsuru (ep 1), Otsuka Ken maybe.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:05 am

Alee9977 wrote:
Guesswhoo wrote:Maybe this question don't belong to this thread (sorry if that's true :oops: ) but are there " big name" (I talk about animator) in animation industry ? And has any 'big name" (if the "big name" exist) worked on the Dragon ball franchise ?
I think we should add Hisashi Mori to the list, I'm also pretty sure that Yutaka Nakamura actually worked on DBZ movie 5, though I don't remember him being credited with anything impressive. Koudai Watanabe and Ryo Onishi are also pretty big names, at Toei in the very least. Masaaki Iwane is also another big name animator for Pokemon.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:15 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
I think we should add Hisashi Mori to the list, I'm also pretty sure that Yutaka Nakamura actually worked on DBZ movie 5, though I don't remember him being credited with anything impressive. Koudai Watanabe and Ryo Onishi are also pretty big names, at Toei in the very least. Masaaki Iwane is also another big name animator for Pokemon.
Oh I thought he was talking about Super, in that case there are more names in the list. Also there are very talented animator that participated in DB although they aren't big names in the animation industry.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:30 am

In terms of sheer popularity among even the most casual of viewers - Yutaka Nakamura, Mamoru Hosoda, and Naotoshi Shida are the first three that come to mind.

Drop down a level and Hisashi Mori, Hisashi Eguchi, Masaaki Iwane are probably the next three.

Go a level deeper into the animation fandom and you'll hit your classics who were or are now major players: Naoki Miyahara, Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Tadayoshi Yamamuro, Kazuya Hisada, Naoki Tate, etc.

Once you're down here, you're looking at 'big names', but perhaps not known to anyone who doesn't actively follow animators; these are the people who have a great deal of talent, but haven't risen to any prominent roles.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:09 am

Yeah, most of those big names doesn't work on DB again.

And also did Ajay just mention Yutaka Nakamura? I didn't know anything about this..

Then TOEI do have a connection, eh? Well, it's a super-ultra-mini chance that he'll be animating Super (who knows he will pop up mysteriously).

Just thinking... Because Yutaka Nakamura is considered to be the best animator in the industry. His work is full of impact, but I'm just gonna wish that the episodes of the Tournament Of Power will be the best animated episodes in the whole franchise...

Don't let us down Nagamine, and (Ryota) Nakamura!

It's weird for a show like Super to be so famous, but 99% of talented animators just be like " This shit is shitty, it's shit shit, never gonna work on this famous shit"
Last edited by Gashif Aldi on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:13 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Itai, huh? I wonder when he did his stuff on this episode. He didn't do any animation for 82, maybe this is why? He's also coming back up in a few episodes, it'll be interesting to see how that episode turns out.
That's also a smaller staff size than I expected.

I wonder who the artist is.
Is it just me, or have we been seeing this pose and angle a lot lately?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:36 am

Oh wow so read on the home video guide that Yamamuro did the art for the Dbox singles, that explains why a lot of those singles looked bad, his art for the Super singles have been much better.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 am

We have had some nice use of first person shots in this arc so far..

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The animation as well as the storyboards have been more consistent in their quality in this arc. Hope to see some nice storyboards from Nagamine and Nakamura as well.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 am

What are the chances of Goku going Blue against #17 being a color mistake? :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:41 am

Noah wrote:What are the chances of Goku going Blue against #17 being a color mistake? :lol:
If only this would legit happen, there would be nothing weird at all if that was plain SSJ rather than SSJB, 17 doesnt even look like he's trying, complete opposite with Goku's face. It'd also be funny if they're just trying something rather than actually just fist clashing with raw power.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 am

This episode is a small but much appreciated step up from the last 2 episodes. Honestly if this is what the average episode of Super looks like from now on I would be damn happy. There are no big explosive sakuga moments or really intricate choreography but the visuals are all polished and consistent while the animation is smooth and energetic. I consider this to be a good average for a long running shonen show like this, there were a few art mistakes I noticed but they were few and inoffensive. Next episode though looks toght af. Anyone know who's supervising?
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:43 am

Octorockandroll wrote:Next episode though looks toght af. Anyone know who's supervising?
It's Naoki Tate.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 am

Alee9977 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:

This shot reminds me a shot from the final episode of Konosuba 2, it looks so good.
When Aqua punched the goo with God Blow right? looks exactly the same, both has blue eyes and hair as well :lol:
Any idea who did that beautiful shot? would have liked it better if it didnt have that sunset BG, first I thought it was Yamamuro because of how clean it looks, then the nose came in and didnt look like his art nose.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 am

Ajay wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:Next episode though looks toght af. Anyone know who's supervising?
It's Naoki Tate.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:10 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Itai, huh? I wonder when he did his stuff on this episode. He didn't do any animation for 82, maybe this is why? He's also coming back up in a few episodes, it'll be interesting to see how that episode turns out.
That's also a smaller staff size than I expected.

Those eyes... the middle of the mouth being slightly to the side of the middle of the chin... isn't that Karasawa? :shock:
I could be mistaken, of course, but do you guys think this could be his work?
Edit: Looking at it a little longer, I'm starting to think it's actually Higashide instead. Sorry for getting people's hopes up that Karasawa might be back. :oops:

Also, since someone asked people about their favourite supervisors in Super a couple of pages ago, here's my current top 5:

1: Naoki Tate: I really enjoy his fluid, loose animation, and like his art style a lot as well.
2: Shuichiro Manabe: His art is very expressive, and he's delivered some really fluid animation as well, especially in episode 63.
3: Yuichi Karasawa: Although I'm not a big fan of his art style, his episodes have nice movement and are always polished.
4: Masahiro Shimanuki: His animation might not be very fluid anymore nowadays, but his art is still very nice. He has also been getting better and better as Super progressed.
5: Hiroyuki Itai: He hasn't supervised that many episodes yet, and the ones he has supervised were usually under a pretty strict time limit, but his art is quite nice. I don't know how his animation is, though, as I don't remember any specific scenes he animated, apart from corrections and 2nd key animation.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Ajay wrote:
In terms of sheer popularity among even the most casual of viewers - Yutaka Nakamura, Mamoru Hosoda, and Naotoshi Shida are the first three that come to mind.
In which episode/special/movie Hosoda and Nakamura worked? I'd really like to see their work in the DB franchise.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Ajay wrote:
In which episode/special/movie Hosoda and Nakamura worked? I'd really like to see their work in the DB franchise.
Nakamura worked on Dragon Ball Z Movie 5 and Hosoda worked on Dragon Ball's 10th anniversary movie.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Small eyed Gohan is starting to annoy me. I guess I get it when he's wearing the glasses because they have to fit them in, but when he takes it off I don't see why they mess up his eyes like 50 percent of the time.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.