Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sodhi
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #43]

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 15, 2016 1:39 am

Onishi is from world trigger. Seems like a lot of world trigger staff has come to do things in Super.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 15, 2016 1:41 am

Hakamada Yuuji included, although Hakamada was an animation supervisor for Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 15, 2016 1:52 am

So I guess they figured while the schedule is still not great they can just throw World Trigger's staff on top of the Super staff.
I'm okay with that, it means we get better looking episodes, each animator won't be worked as hard and with more staff that should help the schedule improve faster, shouldn't it?

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Sun May 15, 2016 1:59 am

I hope the Mirai Trunks arc has at least this mini arc level of quality this should be the average quality from here on out. :)
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 16, 2016 8:52 pm

if future trunks arc looks like NEP we're in for a treat.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 pm

Even though episode #20 was nothing special, however Its still cool that the storyboard for that episode are now available.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 17, 2016 6:41 am

Who won it? This was up for sale at the same time as my #16 board. I didn't have enough money for both, so I just opted for the better episode. :lol:

The #20 board appeared to reference the movie a lot, too:

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue May 17, 2016 8:17 am

Ajay wrote:Who won it? This was up for sale at the same time as my #16 board. I didn't have enough money for both, so I just opted for the better episode. :lol:

The #20 board appeared to reference the movie a lot, too:

It still makes zero sense to me that they didn't reuse any animation from the movies for the BoG and F arcs.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 am

They can't really reuse movie animation, as it would disrupt with the quality of the show.They also had tagoma torture thing if my memory is correct.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 17, 2016 11:19 am

They probably don't have the rights to reuse any of the films in that manner. The production committees are not the same on both ends.
She/Her
bisexual milf

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote:They probably don't have the rights to reuse any of the films in that manner. The production committees are not the same on both ends.
I know 20th century Fox had it's rights to the movie in Japan and almost got the rights overseas (Sean Schemmel Confirmed the Licensing issues Funimation Had in trying to get the movie back in 2013 when i met him)

Are they at all on the TV Show's Pro. Committee?
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Fox is not involved with the animated series. I imagine that played a role in animation not being reusable. Given the hell production has been I doubt it was a creative decision.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Here's a debate for you all. Couple of friends of mine are guessing that Yuya Takahashi is making a return for episode 44 based on the beams in the preview:

I'm not 100% sure myself. Would be absolutely great if it were Takahashi, but we've seen Karasawa do some pretty nice effects work himself in episode 37, so it may just be him.

Thoughts?

Deadtuber.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue May 17, 2016 12:32 pm

I could definitely see it being Takahashi. The beam itself does kinda look like his (see Gohan's two handed blast in Resurrection 'F' vs. the soldiers), as does the camera work a bit. At the same time though, I also wouldn't be extremely surprised if it wasn't him. There is something kind of off about it if we're assuming it's Takahashi, but I can't put my finger on it.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue May 17, 2016 2:05 pm

That to me looks like karasawa. SImilar to his work in #37.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue May 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Sodhi wrote:That to me looks like karasawa. SImilar to his work in #37.
I think I'm leaning just a tad more towards Karasawa right now too. It does remind me of 37 a bit as well. It is really nice, whoever is animating it.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #42]

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue May 17, 2016 3:49 pm

A Man named RJ wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Sodhi wrote:Just because something is computer related does not mean its cgi. Computers were used back in the 90's too. Cgi is something that is 100% computer done. Like those awkward looking scenes in BOG and ROF where things look 3Dish.

cgi is more then 3d computer models, what you're saying is disrespectful to the line of work.
CGI is Digital enhancement. it would involve anything done in say after effects, or produced during compositing, Digital coloring is just that, digital coloring. it's not CGI since the original image was a scanned paper drawing.

Ad there's something you dont quite seem to grasp here.

You critiqued this image here
BIG improvement, but I think you should aim closer to the old Z style.
and then you said
See now this is colored right.
As if they're even using the same color scheme

what you show is colors in extreme lighting conditions. they're not the same color pallete so why would you use THAT as an example? That would be like me critiquing this fan drawing
for not using THESE colors
Your argument is Moot.

Also
They're both hand drawn, and both digitally processed the only difference is one has paint on the back of it. Why you continue to insist that the image on the right is CGI (when again, they're hand drawn inbetweens) I have no idea.

And, frankly I really dont want to see Hand painted cels in a 2016 production, unless the situation calls for it. Thanks to HDTV and monitors existing, it looks fugly (since the paint is mixed you get color jumping) unless you were going retro, not just that but the sheer amount of time and people it takes to properly ink trace, mix, paint, and dry on one of those things is ridiculous. (done it before, was fun, but wouldnt do that aspect ever professionally.)

From Shirabako (2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jhRb_9yPA

:lol: Fusion reborn digitally processed? Lol what? XD You're trolling right?
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
I think I'm leaning just a tad more towards Karasawa right now too. It does remind me of 37 a bit as well. It is really nice, whoever is animating it.
Yeah. The only reason I'm thinking it may not be him is how round everything is. Karasawa is very angular with his eyebrows and noses and what not. This seems way more bubbly.

Deadtuber.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue May 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Ajay wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:
Yeah. The only reason I'm thinking it may not be him is how round everything is. Karasawa is very angular with his eyebrows and noses and what not. This seems way more bubbly.
That's true also. Maybe it isn't Karasawa or Takahashi! It might be too soon for the animator responsible (Inaba maybe?), but Goku in that cut reminds me of a drawing that was asked about a few pages ago:
The ears are different and it probably isn't the same person, but the roundness of the face and eyes is similar.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Wezenheim wrote: That's true also. Maybe it isn't Karasawa or Takahashi! It might be too soon for the animator responsible (Inaba maybe?), but Goku in that cut reminds me of a drawing that was asked about a few pages ago:
Huh, good eye. That's interesting.

Man, it's just so hard to tell when they adhere to Yamamuro's models so strictly and we don't have a clear indicator of how things move.

Either way, looks like Karasawa's going three for three with this upcoming episode. The guy cannot do any wrong.

Deadtuber.