Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:06 pm

The first shot pretty much sold me on this being a fantastic looking episode. I think we can all agree that if Yamamuro stepped down Takahashi should be the one to take his place. I'm about as giddy as I was watching 110 despite how much less impressive the animation was this episode. Well done.

manya

Post by manya » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Artorias wrote:
Surprising, considering this was written by Toshio, Super's best writter. Was expecting a bit more from him to be honest. Although if anything, this just proves that it's impossible to make Kale and Caulifla interesting.
Toshio writte episode 115... EP 114 was written by Yamaguchi Hiroshi

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 pm

manya wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Surprising, considering this was written by Toshio, Super's best writter. Was expecting a bit more from him to be honest. Although if anything, this just proves that it's impossible to make Kale and Caulifla interesting.
Toshio writte episode 115... EP 114 was written by Yamaguchi Hiroshi
Oh damn, my bad. Then there's still hope for next week!

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Is too much to ask this art on all episodes? I felt like a kid looking at those z goku cuts.
What a fucking amazing episode, nothing more to say

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:22 pm

One can only hope Toei would realize that they need this man to up their game in DBS, it was such a waste to use him this episode when they could put him on more exciting ones, they better get him on Goku V Jiren PT2!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Holy shit who supervised the second half? That looked like old school Z.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Worst looking episode in the entire franchise.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Damn i felt like i was watching the buu arc... Thats how good the art was!!

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 pm

This is, whitout a shade of doubt, the best looking episode of Super so far ! The art was godly, the animation was very good too, it was like i'm watching super with the Buu saga designs, the art in this episode was simply the best of super so far, hopefully Takahashi became a regular.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I could say a lot of things about the superb art we got in this episode, but I'm just gonna leave this quote here:
Torturephile wrote:I usually don't comment about art and animation, but this episode blew me away with the shading (and art). Usually Super relies on very simplistic and flat shading, but this time they managed to make the show much more grittier that it even resembled Z at some points, perhaps even surpassing it. I wish the show looked like it did this episode since its beginning. There was also more fight choreography (movement) than in the previous episode, which mainly relied on repeated frames in front of scrolling background. Kale's transformation sequence at the beginning made last episode's look like garbage in comparison.
This Takahashi guy should do episodes more often.
YonedgeHP wrote:Worst looking episode in the entire franchise.
:lol:

That's was funny mate, tell us another joke. I insist.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ChaosX79

Post by ChaosX79 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:48 pm

At the moment I saw the first cut of the episode, I HAD to pause the episode and watch with my own eyes how Broly looked, I couldn't believe he was there, in the flesh, with the old Z art, unpaused and then BOOM, a shot of goku in SSJ2 having the old school Z art, I started feeling very strong sensationS boiling up on me, I suddendly started opening my mouth in shock as to what I was seeying as the cuts started going through, I felt nostalgia and happyness, I was at the sharpest edge of my capacity to not SCREAM of excitement!

I felt like I was watching Dragon Ball Z in full digital HD, the old school shading, the expressive detailing on the faces, the exaggerated curved eyes I so much loved from the Z art, the overly detailed hair lining, it all reminded me of DBZ in late Buu arc!

Yuya Takahashi, this man HAS to be the new character designer of Dragon Ball Super and further! Yamamuro? Who's that guy? Come on, Toei!
Give Dragon Ball its identity back!
Before creation comes destruction...
- Beerus-sama

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:32 am

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
ufffff

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:32 am

This episode was amazing. Took some snaps from some of my favorite shots.

Caulifla/Kale/Kefla.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Goku.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:55 am

Looks like movie-tier animation.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:13 am

Did I just watch a DBZ episode? This was phenomenal! It’s definitely one of the most gorgeous episode of Super.
Now I want Takahashi as the character designer. And please, let him supervise the final Goku vs Jiren battle!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:56 am

cuartas wrote:[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
ufffff
I can't be the only one getting major Masunaga vibes from some of Takahashi's artwork.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:59 am

A big ol folder of images.
https://imgur.com/a/bWou1

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:27 am

Dai-Saiyajin wrote:This is, whitout a shade of doubt, the best looking episode of Super so far ! The art was godly, the animation was very good too, it was like i'm watching super with the Buu saga designs, the art in this episode was simply the best of super so far, hopefully Takahashi became a regular.
precita wrote:Looks like movie-tier animation.
I know the art in this episode was extraordinarily exceptional, but I fail to see how this episode had movie-tier animation, much less the best looking episode of Super from an animation perspective. The animation for the non-Takahashi parts of the episodes was pretty so-and-so for the most part with only a few exceptions.

The art is definitely the best thing about the episode and it was marvelous, but art is really where the exceptionality of the episode ends IMO.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:31 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Dai-Saiyajin wrote:This is, whitout a shade of doubt, the best looking episode of Super so far ! The art was godly, the animation was very good too, it was like i'm watching super with the Buu saga designs, the art in this episode was simply the best of super so far, hopefully Takahashi became a regular.
I know the art in this episode was extraordinarily exceptional, but I fail to see how this episode had movie-tier animation, much less the best looking episode of Super from an animation perspective. The animation for the non-Takahashi parts of the episodes was pretty so-and-so for the most part with only a few exceptions.

The art is definitely the best thing about the episode and it was marvelous, but art is really where the exceptionality of the episode ends IMO.
I do agree that the animation wasn't anything to write home about and it was the art that sold this episode. With that said, there are parts where I didn't like how Super Saiyan God looked. I think Super Saiyan God looked a little too bulky in some shots, but that could be just me.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:42 am

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

I do agree that the animation wasn't anything to write home about and it was the art that sold this episode. With that said, there are parts where I didn't like how Super Saiyan God looked. I think Super Saiyan God looked a little too bulky in some shots, but that could be just me.
I agree with you, SSG looked too big sometimes. One little complain I have with Takahashi's art is that sometimes he draws the muscles too big. But that's just me, because lately I prefer more realistic looking bodies, just like Toriyama draws them nowadays.
I also believe Takahashi may draw characters bigger to give a bigger sense of power and to emphatize certain movements, because sometimes his SSJ2 Goku looked just perfect in terms of size. Even then, if he was character designer I would gladly accept his bigger muscles, as I'm used to DBZ characters being buff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical