Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 65

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So how much of Shida should we expect this week then?
20 secs at best

Also if you have watched a good Shida cut, you know that 57 was nothing special for him. Fluid animation but lacked good shading and overall impact. Nothing the bluray release can't fix.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:
20 secs at best

Also if you have watched a good Shida cut, you know that 57 was nothing special for him. Fluid animation but lacked good shading and overall impact. Nothing the bluray release can't fix.
Probably nothing the Bluray will fix, either. :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:10 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:
20 secs at best

It might not have been anything special for him but it certainly was special for Dragon Ball.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:18 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:
20 secs at best

I think it will be more than 20 seconds honestly, this is (presumably)the big one and Shida's been pretty inactive recently.
Also I know his cut from 57 wasn't as polished as some of his other work, particularly the shading, but I think it's better than his BoG cut. It all comes down to preference.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:31 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I think it will be more than 20 seconds honestly, this is (presumably)the big one and Shida's been pretty inactive recently.
Also I know his cut from 57 wasn't as polished as some of his other work, particularly the shading, but I think it's better than his BoG cut. It all comes down to preference.
The issue with his BoG cut comes down to the washed-out look the whole movie had, one that hasn't shown back up in the series after that. Compare a shot from BoG to F and you'll see how fine F looks while BoGs... Off.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:34 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The issue with his BoG cut comes down to the washed-out look the whole movie had, one that hasn't shown back up in the series after that. Compare a shot from BoG to F and you'll see how fine F looks while BoGs... Off.
I vastly prefer Battle of Gods' muted palette compared to the saturated tan-fest that plagued everything Dragon Ball up until this current arc.

I don't particularly like any of it, but I would prefer Battle of Gods' if I'm choosing between the two.

As for Shida's movie scene vs #57, I prefer the character art of the Super scene, but movie is (obviously) by and large the significantly better of the two -- at least on a technical level. I will say I much prefer Shida's smoke these days than how he was drawing stuff back then. It's so meaty now. Love it!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Teffo

Post by Teffo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Am I the only one who wants Shida to be the Character Designer over Yamamuro?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Teffo wrote:Am I the only one who wants Shida to be the Character Designer over Yamamuro?
No. You are preaching to the choir in this thread.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Teffo wrote:Am I the only one who wants Shida to be the Character Designer over Yamamuro?
Yes, but his models would probably be way too detailed for a show with a schedule like Super's.

Teffo

Post by Teffo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:52 pm

nite_jay wrote:
Yes, but his models would probably be way too detailed for a show with a schedule like Super's.
In comparison to the designs of Yamamuro he's a little less detailed and plus, it doesn't look kinda stiff.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Nah, a bunch of people want this.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teffo

Post by Teffo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Ajay wrote:
No. You are preaching to the choir in this thread.
I know, just look at this beauty

<image removed by moderator>
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dragon Ball Super has a simulcast. Please don't use screenshots from illegal streaming sites.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:58 pm

There are tons of animators who work on Super whom I would greatly prefer to be the character designer over Yamamuro, but let's not have a page of Yamamuro bashing again.
Teffo wrote: I know, just look at this beauty [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwsc2RtW8AES2uR.jpg[img]
His face is a little messed up in that shot, BUT that image is literally on screen for one frame, which is really a testament to how great Shida's art and animation are.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Nope. I don't hate Yamamuro, but his art direction and character designs have become too complacent, uninspired and just lazy for my liking over the years. At change of direction in animation department is certainly needed.

Teffo

Post by Teffo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:01 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
There are tons of animators who work on Super whom I would greatly prefer to be the character designer over Yamamuro, but let's not have a page of Yamamuro bashing again.
Well, it wasn't a bashing itself, it was just me saying how much I love Shida's way to draw these designs :P

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:02 pm

Teffo wrote:
nite_jay wrote:
In comparison to the designs of Yamamuro he's a little less detailed and plus, it doesn't look kinda stiff.
Just to clarify in my above post I would still like for him to be character designer, despite what issues I said.^

Shida's shading though is really different, though. I'm not sure if animators could get a handle on some parts of his character art very quickly. My ideal character designer would be Shiminuki, personally.

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:03 pm

I think Tate would be a better character designer than Shida. Tate's more Hosoda-inspired art style would make for designs that have way more potential for movement, especially with the schedule that Super has. If the animators don't have to worry about all the small details, they have way more time to create interesting movement. I think the new Pokémon series is a really good example of this. I haven't watched the Pokémon anime in years, but the animation shown in the new series' trailer looks a lot more interesting than the animation in any of the previous Pokémon series that I have seen, and it all boils down to the more simple character designs. I think it would be really interesting to see what Super's best animators would be capable of producing if Tate was designing the characters.

Teffo

Post by Teffo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:05 pm

nite_jay wrote:
Teffo wrote:
nite_jay wrote:
Just to clarify in my above post I would still like for him to be character designer, despite what issues I said.^

Shida's shading though is really different, though. I'm not sure if animators could get a handle on some parts of his character art very quickly. My ideal character designer would be Shiminuki, personally.
Yeah I know, that's a really good option as well, he's been on point lately.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:59 pm

Well, even though I praise and adore Shida for all what he did with this franchise in terms of animation, I would still prefer Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru as a character desginer over him.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:17 pm

Teffo wrote:
nite_jay wrote:Yes, but his models would probably be way too detailed for a show with a schedule like Super's.
Yeah. In fact, i feel like designers who are also regular key animators tend to prefer coming up with simple designs over complicated ones, as they always have fluidity and movement in mind.