Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 64

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:10 am

Does anybody know who did that scene with Black creating a scythe? It looked pretty cool imo.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:17 am

Ajay wrote: This episode is dumb and I hate it and I don't want to think about it anymore. :lol:
lol, then have fun and speculate on the rest of the arc like I did!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 am

dbs fanboy wrote:Does anybody know who did that scene with Black creating a scythe? It looked pretty cool imo.
I have no idea who animated it originally, but the clean-up was done by Miyako Tsuji, at least.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #46]

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 am

When Super became available on Daisuki I noticed how different (in a good way) the colours were, but in the last few days they were changed back to the more standard colours seen in pretty much all recent Dragon Ball material (the movies, Heroes, other recent games, etc.). It kind of reminds me of when people mentioned in this thread how the colours in the preview of #47 looked different, but when the episode came out they looked just like in any other episode.
Ajay wrote: Image

It's kinda crazy just how dark and contrasty the tones were in Resurrection 'F' and Super. No wonder Resurrection 'F' was the first time those highlights truly bothered me. Assuming 47's colours are what we're going with from now on, that's definitely a change for the better.
I figured I'd compare the colours of Daisuki's stream with this table, and it seems their current stream looks almost identical to the colours of Episode 2 in that table. Luckily for the comparison, Daisuki's YouTube channel still has the trailer with the nicer colours. They don't look like the colours in the preview of #47, but they do have a way smaller contrast than the current colours.

I wonder why the colours for the stream changed back to the more common modern colours and why the original colours for the stream looked so much better in the first place. Does anyone have any ideas?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:04 am

Wezenheim wrote:
nite_jay wrote:Does anyone have any examples of Tsuji key animation and not corrections? I was wondering how good she would be if she were to step down from chief supervisor.
The best place to look would probably be episode 22. The staff list was pretty small and Yashima did most of the key animation, but she was still second top-credited there. It's tough to tell for sure since her corrections are always so heavy, but I think it's safe to assume that she did at least most of the key animation during the scene where Freeza was torturing Gohan.

I think she seems to be a fairly solid animator in her own right.
Hit!! wrote:I think some people are focusing too much on the staff rather than the episode itself.

If the episode looks ok, who cares about the staff.
...In a thread dedicated to acknowledging the staff who works on the show? That's kind of the topic here. Why wouldn't you care about the staff, especially when trying to solve the messed up puzzle that is Super's production?
There is another thread that's completely dedicated to animation staff though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:24 am

kinisking wrote:There is another thread that's completely dedicated to animation staff though.
Which is essentially dead until NewType comes out each month.

This is absolutely a thread dedicated to talking about the animation staff, their various styles, each week's animation, and anything else you can think of relating to Super's animation.

What else would it be?

Deadtuber.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:36 am

I NEVER told you guys not to talk about the staff.

What i was trying to say with my comment is that people are saying that the episode was bad, not because of the animation, but because of the staff. If the episode doesn't look that bad, it doesn't matter who the staff members are.

The staff shouldn't determine whether an episode is good or not, its their work that matters. If for example, Karasawa made an excelent piece of work, does that mean its bad just because he doesn't have the reputation Tate, Higashide or Shida has??

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 am

I don't think anyone was saying that?

I didn't think the episode was any good because it was incredibly static outside of a few scenes, and it didn't have a solid storyboard to make up for it.

It bounced between animators trying to clean up work and didn't really come together as a whole. It all looked a bit patchwork.

Many of my favourite animators on the show were on this episode, but that doesn't make a difference when the output is boring.

Deadtuber.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 am

Ajay wrote:
kinisking wrote:There is another thread that's completely dedicated to animation staff though.
Which is essentially dead until NewType comes out each month.

This is absolutely a thread dedicated to talking about the animation staff, their various styles, each week's animation, and anything else you can think of relating to Super's animation.

What else would it be?
Yes, this thread is dedicated to all of those. The staff isn't its main focus like wezenheim was suggesting.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:56 am

kinisking wrote:Yes, this thread is dedicated to all of those. The staff isn't its main focus like wezenheim was suggesting.
It is, though. That's why the main thread very literally goes through every single supervisor, with each entry making a point to outline stand-out staff within the episodes.

This thread exists to inform people about the staff. Everything else comes with that.

Deadtuber.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:37 pm

Ajay wrote:
kinisking wrote:Yes, this thread is dedicated to all of those. The staff isn't its main focus like wezenheim was suggesting.
It is, though. That's why the main thread very literally goes through every single supervisor, with each entry making a point to outline stand-out staff within the episodes.

This thread exists to inform people about the staff. Everything else comes with that.
Okay, I misinterpreted the point of this thread then. Seems wasteful to have that other thread around in that case.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:47 pm

kinisking wrote:Okay, I misinterpreted the point of this thread then. Seems wasteful to have that other thread around in that case.
I do sort of agree, but that thread's been around much longer, and there's a very specific line of conversation going on over there, so I'm mostly fine with it staying around as long as it remains focused.

Deadtuber.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:54 pm

kinisking wrote:Seems wasteful to have that other thread around in that case.
I don't think so. Like Ajay said, that's probably the best place to talk about the NewType "upcoming staff" lists. It's also useful if you're interested in discussing roles not mentioned much here if at all, like scriptwriters or episode directors. It definitely has its place.

EDIT: Ah, Ajay beat me to it!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Isn't Tate supposed to co-supervise next week? Or we not trusting NewType now?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Isn't Tate supposed to co-supervise next week? Or we not trusting NewType now?
Yes he his, but we better don't drop our guard. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:32 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Isn't Tate supposed to co-supervise next week? Or we not trusting NewType now?
Don't worry I'm not Goku... :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Don't worry I'm not Goku... :lol:
Your avatar says differently. :P

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
kinisking wrote:Seems wasteful to have that other thread around in that case.
I don't think so. Like Ajay said, that's probably the best place to talk about the NewType "upcoming staff" lists. It's also useful if you're interested in discussing roles not mentioned much here if at all, like scriptwriters or episode directors. It definitely has its place.

EDIT: Ah, Ajay beat me to it!
Your comment still has use because you went more in-depth. Thanks to both of you. I should probably start checking it out more.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Just a heads-up that I apparently missed some corrections in the latest Blu-ray set. Thanks to Psykomatik for pointing some of them out to me.

In episode 37, they corrected the direction that everyone's looking in and Vegeta's hair colour:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

In episode 38, when Goku catches Hit on the cheek, the close-up that follows it originally had no mark. This has now been fixed:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

In episode 44, they fixed "Capsuele" to "Capsule":

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

If he or I find any others, I'll be sure to update this. Bit embarrassed to have missed them in the first place, honestly!

I checked all the problematic sections in each episode and if there was nothing there, I just moved on. I'll be more careful in the future.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:37 pm

Oh, so they actually fixed those little things?! That's cool! :D
Is it possible there were some changes in BD2 too?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.