Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm

In all seriousness, how much do you think it would cost for Disney to buy out Dragon Ball entirely, like own Dragon Ball lock, stock and barrel? $100 million? $200 million? $300 million? They definitely have that kind of money to throw around, and if the next Dragon Ball movie makes near the $90-100 million mark internationally, I could see Disney going for it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:In all seriousness, how much do you think it would cost for Disney to buy out Dragon Ball entirely, like own Dragon Ball lock, stock and barrel? $100 million? $200 million? $300 million? They definitely have that kind of money to throw around, and if the next Dragon Ball movie makes near the $90-100 million mark internationally, I could see Disney going for it.
I could see around 2-500 million being likely. I doubt it would be any higher than that, though. Dragon Ball is popular, but it doesn't have the ability to essentially immediately make up for its cost like Marvel and Star Wars did.

Whether Disney would bother buying it or not....I doubt it. It's not worth it to them.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:31 pm

I think that Disney buying Dragon Ball would benefit DB more than it does Disney. Not only would it gain more attention and care from the company that owns the franchise, the fact that its bought by Disney would no doubt make DB rise in popularity in the US.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think that Disney buying Dragon Ball would benefit DB more than it does Disney. Not only would it gain more attention and care from the company that owns the franchise, the fact that its bought by Disney would no doubt make DB rise in popularity in the US.
Agreed. And it would be nice to have a company that actually has standards in charge.

"Why does Episode 5 look like utter shit, uh-huh?"
"Well, we just weren't feeling passionate about it, I guess. I dunno."
"You're out, uh-huh (slams door.) Bring in the next guy, uh-huh!"

Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kakarotto92 wrote:At this point I think even Studio Pierrot would make a better job than Toei. I'm no animation expert but the original Naruto series was one the best animated battle shounen series I have ever seen. The same can't be said about Shippuden though, quite the opposite.
Studio Pierrot shows absolutely no respect for the source material they end up adapting. I wouldn't want them anywhere NEAR Dragon Ball.
Studio Pierrot really isn't that bad.
Nils Holgersson, Beelzebub, GTO, Tegami Bachi, Bleach, Naruto, Polar Bear Cafe, Baby Steps, Sabagebu and Akatsuki no Yona are fantastic adaptations. Toyko Ghoul for all it's flaws did at least something good; it made the manga really popular in the west. There's no way the manga would have been successful here if there wasn't an anime first.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:46 pm

I'm actually happy Disney saved Star Wars from Lucas, so he can't continue to butcher it even more, maybe DB could benefit from it too?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Michie wrote:Bleach
So fantastic it got cancelled prematurely.
Naruto
This one also had to get rebooted as Naruto Shippuden after almost a 100 episodes worth of filler hell and even Shippuden still has some shit filler.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:15 pm

coola wrote:I'm actually happy Disney saved Star Wars from Lucas, so he can't continue to butcher it even more, maybe DB could benefit from it too?
I don't see any benefit from this.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:22 pm

coola wrote:I'm actually happy Disney saved Star Wars from Lucas, so he can't continue to butcher it even more, maybe DB could benefit from it too?
More pandering to the lowest possible common denominator with anything resembling good story-telling or diverging from the popular path getting shived in a back alley? Hell no. Toriyama's jab at that with Resurrection F(arce) was bad enough, seeing Disney TFA DB would be awful.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Naruto
This one also had to get rebooted as Naruto Shippuden after almost a 100 episodes worth of filler hell and even Shippuden still has some shit filler.
Both aren't fair arguments. The Bleach anime did the best it could with the source material. It's not Pierrot fault the Bleach manga became a joke. The grimmjow vs ichigo or the Ulguiora vs Ichigo are some of the best fights in anime history. Bleach also has some of the best openings/endings which brings me to Naruto.

I agree they shouldn't change the title of a running anime after a time skip. A filler arc before a change in title also sounds really stupid. Something like that could never work.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:42 pm

Michie wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
A filler arc before a change in title also sounds really stupid. Something like that could never work.
*Cough* ...Dragon Ball
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Could be cool, but if they haven't done it in the 90s/00s, I don't see them buying Toei now.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:44 pm

People will still dislike Super if it was not animated by Toei if it has a bad story. Animation can't always save everything. Story telling always comes first. Just like how graphics don't matter to video games if you have good gameplay and story. Same with movies as long if you have a good story to tell and special effects won't matter. People seem to dislike the retelling of BOG and ROF because they feel weak compare to the film versions.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

CosmicSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by CosmicSaiyan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:13 pm

So the question probably still remains unanswered. Is it possible for any other studio to take over dragon ball at this late point?

If its possible then what would need to happen first? Would it require massive petition from the fans of both japan and other countries? Would it require personal authorization from Shueisha or Toei director?
Who holds the ultimate decision here?

Now if Toei did magically gave up on Super after frieza arc, i would personally would want Madhouse to take over the series, following the manga strictly without any useless fillers, just give us longer battle scenes so they dont feel rushed soo much like in the manga.

I'm also wondering if it would even be possible for other studio to take over someone else started work without starting again from the scratch or having a complete different story and title. Cause if Toei is currently making money from dragon ball super, they technically still own rights for any part of the earnings that they receive on their past done episodes. So its going to be a bit tricky.

Mozgus

Post by Mozgus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Toei is doing fine so far. toei is also working on one piece, imagine if they had all their animators working on super. but so far so good

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:50 pm

CosmicSaiyan wrote: If its possible then what would need to happen first? Would it require massive petition from the fans of both japan and other countries? Would it require personal authorization from Shueisha or Toei director?
It would require a company with tons of $$$ to buyout Shueisha and possibly Toei as well depending on the specifics of the deal to animate DB content between Shueisha and Toei.

Or you get a company with lots of $$$ to buy Toei and manage its animation production completly differently.

CosmicSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by CosmicSaiyan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Basaku wrote:
CosmicSaiyan wrote: If its possible then what would need to happen first? Would it require massive petition from the fans of both japan and other countries? Would it require personal authorization from Shueisha or Toei director?
It would require a company with tons of $$$ to buyout Shueisha and possibly Toei as well depending on the specifics of the deal to animate DB content between Shueisha and Toei.

Or you get a company with lots of $$$ to buy Toei and manage its animation production completly differently.
Even if i was rich and had my company, i wouldnt go that far to buying out Toei and Shueisha over some cartoon lol. If people are continuing to watch and support their show despite their minimum $$ efforts at trying to make it look decent enough. Then that a pretty good use of their animators labor.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:59 pm

CosmicSaiyan wrote:So the question probably still remains unanswered. Is it possible for any other studio to take over dragon ball at this late point?

If its possible then what would need to happen first? Would it require massive petition from the fans of both japan and other countries? Would it require personal authorization from Shueisha or Toei director?

Now if Toei did magically gave up on Super after Freeza arc, i would personally would want Madhouse to take over the series, following the manga strictly without any useless fillers, just give us longer battle scenes so they dont feel rushed soo much like in the manga.

I'm also wondering if it would even be possible for other studio to take over someone else started work without starting again from the scratch or having a complete different story and title. Cause if Toei is currently making money from dragon ball super, they technically still own rights for any part of the earnings that they receive on their past done episodes. So its going to be a bit tricky.
The ultimate decision would be Toei's to give it up so that other studio can take it. Bandai Namco and Shueisha have nothing to do with the studios, they just want their $$$. It is very possible for other studio to take over someone else's work and just continue it, as it is Toriyama's story and he has the final say in the story. new studio would just get the money received from the date their broadcast starts.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:In all seriousness, how much do you think it would cost for Disney to buy out Dragon Ball entirely, like own Dragon Ball lock, stock and barrel? $100 million? $200 million? $300 million? They definitely have that kind of money to throw around, and if the next Dragon Ball movie makes near the $90-100 million mark internationally, I could see Disney going for it.
Toei would NEVER sell Dragon Ball's rights to the Mouse, in the most extreme scenario they would probaly just sell it to another japanese studio. Japan is a very nationalistic (even slightly chauvinistic) country and so is its current government; they would never allow a precious and extremelly profitable property like Dragon Ball to be sold to a powerful foreign corporation like Disney (and thank Kami for that).

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:40 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:
Toei would NEVER sell Dragon Ball's rights to the Mouse, in the most extreme scenario they would probaly just sell it to another japanese studio. Japan is a very nationalistic (even slightly chauvinistic) country and so is its current government; they would never allow a precious and extremelly profitable property like Dragon Ball to be sold to a powerful foreign corporation like Disney (and thank Kami for that).
Sure they would, if the price was good enough. That's never stopped them before.
Malik_DBNA wrote: