Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:41 pm

Toei has no say in the matter. Shueisha and Toriyama the ones allowing Toei Animation to produce animated works based on Dragon Ball.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Toei has no say in the matter. Shueisha and Toriyama the ones allowing Toei Animation to produce animated works based on Dragon Ball.
Isn't also entirely possible that some of the issues with Super are Shueisha's fault? I mean it really seems like Toei was told that they needed to make a new Dragon Ball series and they needed to make it immediately.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:32 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Toei has no say in the matter. Shueisha and Toriyama the ones allowing Toei Animation to produce animated works based on Dragon Ball.
Isn't also entirely possible that some of the issues with Super are Shueisha's fault? I mean it really seems like Toei was told that they needed to make a new Dragon Ball series and they needed to make it immediately.
It's everyone's fault. Dragon Ball Kai dwindling down and no series in mind to replace it on the tail of Fukkatsu no F doing gangbusters and Bandai always wanting something new to promote their merchandise I'd say the decision was made by January 2015 at the earliest to produce Dragon Ball Super by all parties. Toei Animation simply got the short end of the stick having production committee partners not knowledgeable in the industry and its condition. Of course, as far as Shueisha is concerned Dragon Ball Super is probably just a cheap piece of crap they can partially fund to promote the original comic and new merchandise.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:41 am

I wouldn't mind Toei animating DBZ as long as they animated it as well as Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F(Obviously I know this will never happen).

To be honest I'd even settle for the whole series being animated like DBS episode 11. That episode had some beautiful animation.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:05 am

Shueisha and Bandai has more control over Toei does. Bandai is Toei's top dog and if they think Toei helps them sell toys then they are not letting another company own Dragon Ball. Toei has own the animated series for 30 years, they are not going to give it up soon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:28 am

DHM211 wrote:To be honest I'd even settle for the whole series being animated like DBS episode 11. That episode had some beautiful animation.
An 14-like animation with episode 13-like art style is my best hope for Super so far.It's very unlikely tho.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: It's everyone's fault. Dragon Ball Kai dwindling down and no series in mind to replace it on the tail of Fukkatsu no F doing gangbusters and Bandai always wanting something new to promote their merchandise I'd say the decision was made by January 2015 at the earliest to produce Dragon Ball Super by all parties. Toei Animation simply got the short end of the stick having production committee partners not knowledgeable in the industry and its condition. Of course, as far as Shueisha is concerned Dragon Ball Super is probably just a cheap piece of crap they can partially fund to promote the original comic and new merchandise.
Sailor Moon Crystal got announced approximately 45 years before episode 1 aired, what did it chang? Nothing. By episode 2 we already had meme-worthy animation there and clusterfuck of storytelling. And I wouldn't call Shueisha/Bandai oblivious to the reality of making an anime/cartoons, both companies been partneting on projects like this for decades. Obviously Toei's not sole to blame, but it's far reaching to try and make them the 'victims' here. Them and other animation studios. They're heavily responsible for the problems the industry's having.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm surprise that Tatsunoko was never brought up. They did Karas and it looks like it was made three or two years ago despite coming out in 2005. If one company should take over DB, it should be them IMO.
She/Her

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Madhouse would have done a great job

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Ryo Chimo is over at Tatsunoko right now. His work as series director and character designer of Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi and Hana no Uta. He also has contacts with a lot of good animators, including not only web generation guys but veterans like Matsumoto Norio.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:42 pm

Could there ever be collaboration between Toei and Madhouse? I remember hearing that they two work on Doomed Megaloplis together.
She/Her

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Could there ever be collaboration between Toei and Madhouse? I remember hearing that they two work on Doomed Megaloplis together.
Toei Animation lent Shida Naotoshi to Death Note Episode #37 and Hajime no Ippo Episode #26, I believe. Tate Naoki was lent to Casshern Sins Episode #10, probably because the character designer was Umakoshi Yoshihiko (a Studio Cockpit alumni animator with strong ties to Toei) and the series director was Yama'uchi Shigeyasu who was practically the un-credited series director of Dragon Ball Z for Episodes #200-291 and Movies #8, #10, #12 and the Tenth Anniversary film. In other words, Toei Animation and Madhouse certainly don't hate one another, despite their very different leaderships and history. The two don't typically lend their aces to one another much anymore, though.

Having Madhouse collaborate wouldn't do much good, anyway. Madhouse wouldn't lend even its weaker animators, which Dragon Ball Super desperate needs, because such a large investment would disrupt their own workflow, especially if Madhouse isn't an official member of the production committee. Dragon Ball Super is an adaption and not an original project, meaning Toei Animation isn't doing this as an original project they themselves own, they're doing it for Shueisha and Bandai. Series like One Punch Man don't even use Madhouse talent for all of the important roles, anyway. All of the highlights for One Punch Man were storyboarded and animated by freelancers, not employees of Madhouse. The staff for Dragon Ball Super simply need to hunt down good animators and make them offers they cannot refuse, not go to other studios.

EDIT: Looking at the credits for Casshern Sins again and I see a ton of other regular Toei animators. It guess the series was a full-on co-production.
She/Her
bisexual milf

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Ufo table.

Fate zero and the new fate stay/Night were absolutely gorgeous.