Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:06 am

voltlunok wrote:But taking DBS, ripping it from Toei's hands and shoving it onto another studio would do more harm then good cause really, what guarantee do we have that this new studio would give two cruds about dragon ball enough to put in the elbow grease needed to really make shit shine!
I don't even think any other studio would bother to get the same voice actors.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:55 am

Doctor. wrote:
voltlunok wrote:But taking DBS, ripping it from Toei's hands and shoving it onto another studio would do more harm then good cause really, what guarantee do we have that this new studio would give two cruds about dragon ball enough to put in the elbow grease needed to really make shit shine!
That is what frightens me the most when I think about another studio handling Dragon Ball. As far I'm concerned, Masako Nozawa is heart and soul of the anime franchise, if they get rid of her, a large part of Dragon Ball dies for me.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Basaku wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Shueisha and the other production committee members would force any other studio to produce a project under similar circumstances.
Shueisha has no say in deciding how to schedule or finance Toei's animation teams and key employees.
Yes, they do. Shueisha own Dragon Ball lock, stock and barrel. It's legally their property to manage with as they please and they ultimately call the shots on the future of the franchise. Imagine that Dragon Ball is like WWE, Shueisha is Vince McMahon and Toei is Kevin Dunn. Toei may have a significant stake in Dragon Ball, but they ultimately answer to a higher power.
Licensing doesn't give a license-holder any power to delegate employees of a separate company or control its budget. Shueisha makes an order for an anime series and how Toei deals with it and delivers is their business. If Toei feels like spending 5 billion yen on 1 anime episode moving 3/4 of their employees on it they can do it and Shueisha has nothing to say, as long as Toei delivers that episode on time.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Oh absolutely, there is no guarantee that the new studio would show any respect to the brand. Why bring back these super expensive, veteran VAs when we can just recast them all and save a bunch of money right? (Saint Seiya Hadess chapter anyone?) Overall like I said, Toei isn't doing bad, they aren't doing amazing knock our socks off, but they aren't doing bad. Every production, high quality or not has its hiccups.

I mean here's an example for all. Kotetsushin Jeeg, had a pretty good budget, overall good animation and solid art. However, even it had its hiccups...As seen below.
Last edited by voltlunok on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Those screens doesn't look that bad. Also, Jeeg was made nearly 10 years ago. A lot has changed in those 10 years.
I wouldn't be that afraid of new voice actors. Hayate has changed studios 3 times and kept the same voice cast. However, Toei replaced the complete Digimon cast for Adventure 3 for no good reason.

I think a lot of people are afraid of changes. Even though Toei doesn't seem to care about Super.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Michie wrote:I wouldn't be that afraid of new voice actors. Hayate has changed studios 3 times and kept the same voice cast.
The Dragon Ball cast is huge, veteran and expensive, unlike a "flavor of the week" series like Hayate. It would be no surprise if a smaller studio changed the cast.

But it seems you have absolutely no idea how much fans would rage if Dragon Ball changed the original cast. Lesser shows like Genshiken were boycotted in Japan for that reason.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Michie wrote:Those screens doesn't look that bad. Also, Jeeg was made nearly 10 years ago. A lot has changed in those 10 years.
I wouldn't be that afraid of new voice actors. Hayate has changed studios 3 times and kept the same voice cast. However, Toei replaced the complete Digimon cast for Adventure 3 for no good reason.

I think a lot of people are afraid of changes. Even though Toei doesn't seem to care about Super.
It's not all of the screens I'm talking about, its the final one with Jeeg's face. The others are just comparisons to the last to show the style. Like I said, Hiccups. They happen. That's the point I was trying to make.
Last edited by voltlunok on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Michie wrote:Those screens doesn't look that bad. Also, Jeeg was made nearly 10 years ago. A lot has changed in those 10 years.
2007 is not that long ago. There is not much of a big change between 2007 and now like it was between 1997 and 2005. I don't see a huge animation between this decade and the last 10 years. If you look at something from 1985 and 1995 or 1995 and 2005 when things look so much different. I don't think anime art style has changed that much from 2005 and now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:06 am

Basaku wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Basaku wrote:Shueisha has no say in deciding how to schedule or finance Toei's animation teams and key employees.
Yes, they do. Shueisha own Dragon Ball lock, stock and barrel. It's legally their property to manage with as they please and they ultimately call the shots on the future of the franchise. Imagine that Dragon Ball is like WWE, Shueisha is Vince McMahon and Toei is Kevin Dunn. Toei may have a significant stake in Dragon Ball, but they ultimately answer to a higher power.
Licensing doesn't give a license-holder any power to delegate employees of a separate company or control its budget. Shueisha makes an order for an anime series and how Toei deals with it and delivers is their business. If Toei feels like spending 5 billion yen on 1 anime episode moving 3/4 of their employees on it they can do it and Shueisha has nothing to say, as long as Toei delivers that episode on time.
I think you need to read this article, to better understand the situation.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Keep the classic juggernaut with what made it an animated universal smash; TOEI.
Otherwise the world would not have been so excited for the return of Dragon Ball brought to them by TOEI.
TOEI has earned the right to keep doing Dragon ball. Got to be patient with them, they will deliver.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:23 pm

I don't think better animation will make things better. You can have something look amazing, but still have a shit story. GT had decent animation, but the writing was still bad in my opinion.
She/Her

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't think better animation will make things better. You can have something look amazing, but still have a shit story. GT had decent animation, but the writing was still bad in my opinion.
Good animation can make a bad or unremarkable story tolerable. Just look at One Punch Man, it's not the best example, but it's the only one that comes to mind right now.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:32 pm

I disagree. I think story telling is more important. Rick and Morty has animation that is not very good, but the writing is amazing in my opinion. You also have stuff like Rahxephon which looks very pretty and the writing is god awful in my opinion.
She/Her

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:41 pm

I didn't say the writing wasn't important. It's obviously what's most important. I'm saying that a show can be entertaining with unremarkable writing if it has great animation backing it up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Directing and animation are storytelling. They precisely deliver the feelings of not only the characters but those drawing them in a manner that alludes mere word. A good story might be a good story but that doesn't make it a good film or episode.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:06 pm

I relly would love to see Kyoto Animation animating Dragon Ball, with their own animators, I'm sure they would bring their A game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPzeO5iPJ4M (Abourt studio policy) Still, Toei Animation can do great too, when they allow people with passion and care to do product, just look at Princess Precure, even filler episodes look really good.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Doctor. wrote: I'm saying that a show can be entertaining with unremarkable writing if it has great animation backing it up.
As I mention before, Rahxephon is a bad show because it's so boring and yet the animation is great. Great animation can't save something from being bad. Just like Transformers 1-4 and 2012 have great special effects and can be entreating, but they are bad films.
She/Her

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote: I think you need to read this article, to better understand the situation.
How does it give Shueisha any control over Toei's employees and/or sub-contractors? Posting a general article link doesn't really do anything here unless it's a copy of DB Super production comitee contract with all the budget/legal details. And again, being able to make final decisions on the project's status/future is not the same as being able to directly control employees of a legally separate company

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:11 pm

People should remember that animes are not animated by studios, they are animated BY ANIMATORS GODANMIT!! Studios matter s***.
No matter if DRAGON BALL is handle to Madhouse, Bones, Toei or whoever, if no there is no animator with talent AND passion for DB the studio means nothing. Moreover, animator do not work as permanent employees for X studio.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Most animators who work on a series are freelancers because a single studio doesn't have the money to hire many in-house animators.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf