Dragon Ball Super on Disney XD?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Super on Disney XD?

Post by HourglassIndigo » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Hear me out, Disney XD's target audience seems to be older kids to teenagers. They've already got a few anime on the channel. I don't know, I wouldn't mind it. Apparently they had Naruto at one point, so Dragon Ball isn't too far of a stretch. What do you guys think?

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super on Disney XD?

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:00 am

It's true that Disney XD aired Naruto Shippuden for a while (97 episodes before they dropped it entirely) but it was rather heavily edited (including things like language, blood, sharp weapons, and some inconsistent edits regarding references to religion).

It'd certainly be possible for them to air Super, provided Funimation edited the eventual dub to Disney's standards...but I don't know that anyone here would actually like the product that would result from that (what would they even call Super Saiyan God? Beerus they could call "The Destroyer" or some such, but SSG is uh...a little harder to work around, I'd think).

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:12 am

I do not think so, but they had Kai on NickToons before going on Toonami. So if anything, Super would be on Toonami.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:16 am

Theophrastus wrote:It's true that Disney XD aired Naruto Shippuden for a while (97 episodes before they dropped it entirely) but it was rather heavily edited (including things like language, blood, sharp weapons, and some inconsistent edits regarding references to religion).

It'd certainly be possible for them to air Super, provided Funimation edited the eventual dub to Disney's standards...but I don't know that anyone here would actually like the product that would result from that (what would they even call Super Saiyan God? Beerus they could call "The Destroyer" or some such, but SSG is uh...a little harder to work around, I'd think).
Disney has had a Hercules TV show. I'm fairly certain they can get away with saying the word "god."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:24 am

I agree with Theo, Disney XD would edit the crap out of the show and wouldnt even treat it well. Gravity Falls DID mention Gods and so on and was TV-Y7 though.

And all this is coming from someone who wanted Disney XD to become the next home for anime in USA. Its not happening.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:27 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I agree with Theo, Disney XD would edit the crap out of the show and wouldnt even treat it well. Gravity Falls DID mention Gods and so on and was TV-Y7 though.

And all this is coming from someone who wanted Disney XD to become the next home for anime in USA. Its not happening.
What is there in Super to edit out?

Granted, I haven't seen the show myself as of yet, but I keep constantly hearing people bitch about it being too "kid-friendly," and "watered down." Apparently, there's not much blood anyway, weapons aren't really a factor due to the subject matter, same with religion (the word "god" is hardly taboo. Again, let's think about what Disney has actually done before. This isn't Saban.), and if cutting down on cursing is that much of a drawback, I'd honestly question your maturity instead of the show's.

So really, what's the worst that they could do?
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:33 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I agree with Theo, Disney XD would edit the crap out of the show and wouldnt even treat it well. Gravity Falls DID mention Gods and so on and was TV-Y7 though.

What is there in Super to edit out?

Granted, I haven't seen the show myself as of yet, but I keep constantly hearing people bitch about it being too "kid-friendly," and "watered down." Apparently, there's not much blood anyway, weapons aren't really a factor due to the subject matter, same with religion (the word "god" is hardly taboo. Again, let's think about what Disney has actually done before. This isn't Saban.), and if cutting down on cursing is that much of a drawback, I'd honestly question your maturity instead of the show's.

So really, what's the worst that they could do?
You're probably right. I grew up with the Nicktoons version of Kai (way back in like 2010) and the minor edits really didn't take away from the experience. Minor edits are to be expected. While not all of them are good, some of them are needed so new fans can get into the series. I personally would love a new generation of children to be introduced to Dragon Ball like I was. If we have to get minor edits, so be it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:37 am

You got me there Kamiccolo. To be honest, the editing wouldnt be that bad. What I fear is that Disney will grow bored with it and put Super in shitty death slots. Disney has a precedent of doing that. But if it does get to Disney XD and they treat it right (Both in Editing and Scheduling.), I would be the most thrilled! :mrgreen: :clap:
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:38 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You got me there Theo. To be honest, the editing wouldnt be that bad. What I fear is that Disney will grow bored with it and put Super in shitty death slots. Disney has a precedent of doing that. But if it does get to Disney XD and they treat it right (Both in Editing and Scheduling.), I would be the most thrilled! :mrgreen: :clap:
As much as I love being told that I'm right....

Theo?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:43 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You got me there Theo. To be honest, the editing wouldnt be that bad. What I fear is that Disney will grow bored with it and put Super in shitty death slots. Disney has a precedent of doing that. But if it does get to Disney XD and they treat it right (Both in Editing and Scheduling.), I would be the most thrilled! :mrgreen: :clap:
As much as I love being told that I'm right....

Theo?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS! Sorry Kamiccolo! I suck balls!

But I will point out that Naruto Shippuden was PG V and was still under a lot of scrutiny by DXD. I would hope that DBSuper would be PG V too.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:25 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: What is there in Super to edit out?
They would have edit out the scenes where Tagoma being torched by Freeza, Piccolo getting his arms remove and Gohan being beam shot to death. Super will likely air on Toonami since it will likely to do better on Toonami then any other channel.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:34 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:same with religion (the word "god" is hardly taboo. Again, let's think about what Disney has actually done before. This isn't Saban.)
From the link in my first post:
Naruto Shippuden Episode 73 Edits:

-Changed Kakuzu saying "What the devil is that?" to just "What is that?"

-Changed Chiriku saying "I'll grant you a funeral." to "May your soul rest in piece."

-Changed Hidan saying "I couldn't bear having another religion's funeral right spoken over me; Jashin would surely punish me." to "I can't just lie here and let a self riotous monk say nice things over me; Jashin would never approve."

-Hidan saying "Commandments" is changed to "Rules"

-Changed Hidan saying "When i'm done with my prayers, lets move on to our next thing." to "We can move on to the next as soon as i'm done with my ritual."
My pessimism is based largely in the fact that TV broadcasts of anime rarely ever seem to follow the same standards as content produced by the networks themselves (whether that's due to the networks having a genuine double standard or just Funimation/Viz being overly cautious, I can't say), and I just have some difficulty believing that a network that apparently had a problem with words like "prayers", "commandments", and "devil" would be fine with "god", whatever the content of their own shows might suggest.

I mean, I've never honestly cared much about TV broadcast edits as long as an uncut variant is available legally (as would definitely be the case here). It's just that I kinda get a sense that the Kanzenshuu community in general is anti-censorship, I'm not convinced they would let the whole God thing pass, and I'm not sure Disney would even want Super after how Shippuden apparently turned out for them.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:38 am

There is no reason to air on Disney XD when you have Toonami. Toonami has been doing very well, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.
She/Her

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:39 am

I can take some censorship. Hell, I even liked the CW4Kids broadcasts, because they got HUGE Numbers in return. (Over 1 million, now beat by Toonami's 2 Million).

But pretty much everyone here loved how Nicktoons treated DBZKai, which had a lot more to censor and with just a TV Y7 rating!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:There is no reason to air on Disney XD when you have Toonami. Toonami has been doing very well, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.
To get the target demo to actually watch the show. How many kids do you think are going to watch a late-night Saturday anime series?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:53 am

Lots of them. Toonami has a huge audience of under 14 and even more under 18 (1 million) thanks to DBZKai ...and Kill La Kill. You may weep now.

Also, One Piece and Naruto Shippuden are supposed to be kids shows and still air on Toonami. And I'm with you on this. It would be awesome if DBSuper introduced kids to the franchise...but no kids network would give it the exposure it deserves.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:01 am

Funimation has move away from marketing DB to kids over a decade ago. Even Kai on Nick Toons and CW didn't had much marketing to them and had no major toyline. Anime these days is mainly market to older people given that it's easier to keep anime uncut and most anime fans like watching things uncut. There is very few kids anime these days due to the market has changed a lot over the years. Action cartoons are mainly dead since it seems like kids only like silly comedy shows now. CN feels like Young Justice bombed because kids think the show was too dark and boring :roll: . So no one bought the toys for the show (which was hardly marketed. Same with the toyline for Thunder Cats and Green Lateran: The Animated Series).
She/Her

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:02 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:There is no reason to air on Disney XD when you have Toonami. Toonami has been doing very well, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.
To get the target demo to actually watch the show. How many kids do you think are going to watch a late-night Saturday anime series?
I agree, unless they give DBS the first slot on toonami, not many children will be able to tune into the series. As a kid, I didn't usually stay up that late. I get that a good bit of children stay up that late, but you are missing out on a big chunk of the audience that can't stay up for toonami.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:48 am

DB is hardly market to kids anymore compare to it was in the late 90's. I mean Kai is on Toonami and is doing just fine. Super will end up being on Toonami and I will be surprise if it didn't. I also stay up late as a kid too. I remember seeing Akira and Vampire Hunter D on the late night channels back in 1998. I also remember Space Ghost Coast to Coast on CN before it was on AS in the late 90's on Friday nights.
She/Her

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Yeah, anime in general is targeted towards college aged kids nowadays.