Will Goku or Vegeta use the original SSJ forms again in DBS?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Will Goku or Vegeta use the original SSJ forms again in

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:53 am

Bojack wrote:I think we will, but gradually Goten, Trunks, And Gohan will learn SSB.
Agreed. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll see them acquire it in the future.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:57 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Bojack wrote:I think we will, but gradually Goten, Trunks, And Gohan will learn SSB.
Agreed. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll see them acquire it in the future.
I don't know, I'm not so sure.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:25 pm

All of the old forms are gone for Goku & Vegeta.
  • Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan Blue is the next evolution of the regular Super Saiyan form, like Super Saiyan Full Power. It's the new version of regular Super Saiyan, so no more golden Super Saiyan.
  • Super Saiyan Grade 2 & Super Saiyan Grade 3 are out of the picture for a long time now due to the big ki consumption, so they aren't coming back.
  • Toriyama said that Goku will no longer use Super Saiyan 2 & Super Saiyan 3 anymore, so they are out of the picture as well. Super Saiyan (now Super Saiyan Blue) no longer gives the huge x50 increase it gave before, so it's reasonable to assume that SS2 & SS3 no longer give the old x2 & x4 increases respectably as well, so the ki consumption becomes a bigger problem now.
  • Super Saiyan God is weaker than SSGSS, and I don't think it even gives a significant boost to base Goku anymore in the first place, since Beerus said that the decrease in Goku's power after he lost SSG was insignificant. The video-game DBZ: Dokkan Battle explains that SSG is useless because Goku absorbed its power & made it his own, and that SSGSS is the way for Goku to become stronger.
  • Toriyama still insists that the Saiyan tails are useless, so no return to the Oozaru form, or any new form involving Oozaru.
  • Finally, Toriyama ignores the anime-only material, so no Legendary Super Saiyan, Golden Oozaru, or Super Saiyan 4.
The only forms that will be used by Goku & Vegeta now are their regular form & Super Saiyan Blue. If they achieve something beyond it, it will be something entirely new.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:48 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Goku can still use his normal ki, so its possible.
And no matter how much famous SSB bescomes, SSJ will always be the most iconic.
Well, the last manga chapter just answered this question.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:16 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Goku can still use his normal ki, so its possible.
And no matter how much famous SSB bescomes, SSJ will always be the most iconic.
Well, the last manga chapter just answered this question.
Both you and me thinks it got answered but some people still refuses to believe it tho, so the only way I guess is to wait for ep 33 or luckily ep 33 preview will shows us a glimps of Goku going ssj or ssjb, highly doubt Toyotarou just ran out of ink or didnt want to use it when he just used it on 2 chapters.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:07 pm

SansrivaaL wrote: Both you and me thinks it got answered but some people still refuses to believe it tho, so the only way I guess is to wait for ep 33 or luckily ep 33 preview will shows us a glimps of Goku going ssj or ssjb, highly doubt Toyotarou just ran out of ink or didnt want to use it when he just used it on 2 chapters.
Definitely out of queston.
When two tranformations look so much like each other, you have to do your best in the details so the viewer can tell the difference, and know which tranformation the character is using. Toyotaro would never be allowed to release a chapter like that. But yeah if some people can't handle the truth, there's nothing to do besides waiting for the anime version.

Even though, things don't look bright for them:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:43 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Super Saiyan. All the material we have seen with Super Saiyan Blue is Goku or Vegeta going all out. With this tournament, Goku is trying to conserve energy so he could last longer. We may see Goku turn Super Saiyan Blue but I think Frost will knock him out before he does. Also, to those who say Goku and Vegeta will never go these forms anymore, it has NEVER been said they couldn't we only see this form when they face Golden Freeza and training. When they trained in the Room, they wanted to go all out so they transformed into Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Goku is known for not going all out from the start and it was never said anywhere that Ssjb replaced his old forms so I don't see what's so unbelievable about him using Ssj1 against Frost.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:00 pm

I gotta say it caught me by surprise. I suppose SSJ is weaker than SSB because it likely lacks God ki, Goku has been playing with everyone in the tournament. It makes sense he's still holding back purposely.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:44 pm

LightBing wrote:I gotta say it caught me by surprise. I suppose SSJ is weaker than SSB because it likely lacks God ki, Goku has been playing with everyone in the tournament. It makes sense he's still holding back purposely.
You're right. Super Saiyan is a weaker form that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Goku might be using just his regular SSJ form because that is his "tournament power", while SSGSS is his "battle power".
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:18 pm

I think he and Frost are still bluffing one another, and Frost will transform again, maybe making it to where Goku can't read his Ki in his normal SSJ form? That would lead to Goku underestimating him and causing him to be knocked out if he doesn't go SSJB. Either way Piccolo has no chance in hell unless he has that Book of Legends or some power up. Even if he beat Goku at his base, Piccolo will still have his hands full with frost, which Piccolo will loose and Vegeta will be the one the defeat him with SSJB (To throw the Vegeta fans a bone over defeating Freeza) I think something will go wrong once Vegeta face's Cabba and interrupts the tourney. That's my prediction, leaving Hit and Monaka still surrounded by mystery.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:02 am

Know one knows, but I personal hope yellow comes back with the power of Super Saiyan blue.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 am

Aren't people just tired of still seeing the yellow/golden version of Super Saiyan already?
We've seen it for the last freakin 20+ years already. It's time for something new!
Iconic or not. Original or not. I've never cared for that concept.
SSJB looks way cooler imo. The color, the Aura.
Akira Toriyama created it specifically because he still wanted to keep the SSJ form in while also adding something new to it to show that both Goku and Vegeta are different now. (Since they have God Power) making it blue was the perfect choice and excuse to still keep the Super Saiyan form. While also showing that they are on God Level now and have reached a new evolution.
Kinda like the theory Cold Skin has come up with several times already. It truly is the perfect concept!
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:47 am

sintzu wrote:Goku is known for not going all out from the start and it was never said anywhere that Ssjb replaced his old forms so I don't see what's so unbelievable about him using Ssj1 against Frost.
Yeah, it shouldn't be too surprising that Goku wouldn't use his strongest form from the start. I mean I was surprised to see it again because I did think it would replace Super Saiyan but they never said that it would, just that it was Super Saiyan with God Ki. Blue will almost definitely be more of a replacement for SSJ2 and 3 than regular Super Saiyan.
It's going to be annoying these following weeks until Blue is used again because there are going to be so many people saying Blue is gone(there already are a lot of people saying that).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:14 am

ArchedThunder wrote:There are going to be so many people saying Blue is gone(there already are a lot of people saying that).
Which doesn't make any sense cause Blue is what's being heavily promoted with Super.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:31 am

sintzu wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:There are going to be so many people saying Blue is gone(there already are a lot of people saying that).
Which doesn't make any sense cause Blue is what's being heavily promoted with Super.
If Blue was going away I doubt both Goku and Vegeta would be in the form on the cover of V-jump and they wouldn't have added Blue Vegeta next to Goku in the opening at the start of the Champa arc, they'd probably just stop showing it all together and just have it show up in video games. Assuming they aren't told they aren't allowed to use God Ki in the tournament I imagine Vegeta will use the form in a fight and everyone that wasn't present for the fight with Golden Freeza will be shocked.
It'd be kinda funny if he fights Cabba and then Cabba goes regular Super Saiyan and says something like "Surprised? I can do it to!" and Vegeta is just like "Nope." and goes Blue.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:19 am

sintzu wrote:
So was SSG.............

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:56 am

TheMikado wrote:
So was SSG.............
During the BOG arc but do you see it being heavily promoted now like Ssjb ?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 am

sintzu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
So was SSG.............
During the BOG arc but do you see it being heavily promoted now like Ssjb ?
But it was, it was the first Dragonball movie in years and featured an "All-new" transformation. It was already promoted heavily prior to the Super series. The SSB is so new it got heavy promotion since it coincides with there being a new manga and anime.