All the things Super did right

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Re: All the things Super did right

Post by KidGoku>3 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:26 am

- Everything that didn't involve fighting. I think the fights have been the most uninteresting, bland parts of Super. The adventures, interactions between characters is its saving grace.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 am

The only fights I enjoyed were goku vs beerus some parts of it and vegeta vs golden frieze other than that the fights in super sucks ass!!!!
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:39 pm

A more antagonistic, malevolent Beerus is the worst to me, actually. His Chaotic Neutral attitude in BoG was what made him so endearing and hilarious to me. Making him cruel and vicious just takes away what made him unique, and focusing on him "doing his job" the way that they did just removed his mystique, much like Mike said.

I do vehemently enjoy the slice of life portions of the series, though. Jaco is also a fantastic character that I enjoy seeing fleshed out. I was particularly happy with the choices they made with Tagoma/Ginyu, especially with the way Shisami died (even though the presentation of Tagoma/Ginyu was so utterly boring and poorly done that it made it hard to enjoy (and his death is the worst/best example of that)) and having Freeza torture Gohan was a fantastic way to bring back some of that vileness to Freeza's character that felt missing from the movie, but Piccolo sacrificing himself the way he did felt incredibly hollow. For god's sake, he's wished back offscreen between two scenes. But, I can still appreciate the effort to change things up. Also, Vegeta's beatdown of Freeza was even more cathartic than in the movie, even if it wasn't quite as well animated. I'm also happy they decided to expand on the fight between Goku and Beerus, but they needed to cut at least two whole episodes of material and the whole "causing ripples throughout the universe" deal was... meh.

Oh, and Goku + Vegeta with beards. Yes, yes, more yes, and a little bit of yes sprinkled on top with a side of yes in a little cup for dipping.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

djcoopdawg
Beyond Newbie

Post by djcoopdawg » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Super has been very great in the comedy and character interactions categories. We never had many "day in the life" scenes and now they are quite plentiful in Super. This has been a very positive thing. This is a trade-off, however, from the lack of suspense/urgency/struggle feeling that DBZ gave us. Super lacks in this category and it has become more playful and nonserious.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:39 am

Slice of life episodes are fantastic, the fights on the other hand suck so hard.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:53 am

djcoopdawg wrote:Super has been very great in the comedy and character interactions categories.This is a trade-off, however, from the lack of suspense/urgency/struggle feeling that DBZ gave us. Super lacks in this category and it has become more playful and nonserious.
The original DB had more of that then Super.

Remember when Goku found Krillin dead ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:37 am

As far as original content goes, Super does a lot of things right with characterization and interactions. It's just struggling with creating tension at the moment....or decent action scenes....or music.

In the Beerus arc, it's cool that they added some things in the Goku VS Beerus fight to flesh out the God form a bit more. Though, it was a bit too long. If they cut a couple of episodes, it would've been alright.

In the Golden Freeza arc, a lot of things. Ginyu/Tagoma, Gohan's whole character arc (sans Piccolo dying again), and episode 27 in general.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:02 am

New information and expansion of the DB "world." That's it. That is literally it, imho.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:20 am

- Good comedy and slice of life episodes
- More characters moments besides Goku
- The animation has a colorful look to it
- More world building
- The U6 fighters are really cool so far
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:25 am

In addition to what has been said, I am very much appreciative of the different approach to U6's characters, particularly Frost and his well-mannered good intentioned personality. This character trait of his actually forced Bulma, Krillin and the others to reevaluate their priorities for a moment and who they support. Do they continue in rooting for Goku and his obsessed thirst for combat or do they hope for Frost to succeed who happens to have genuinely good motives for participating? I give props to Toriyama for this new angle to the characterisation. Also, the emphasis on technique and ability instead of normal strength based powerhouses has been a refreshing change of pace, if you ask me.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:09 am

Freeza was well-mannered as well. Well-mannered Napoleon Space Hitler.