What if Super only adapted the 'Battle of Gods' arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

What if Super only adapted the 'Battle of Gods' arc?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:38 pm

With how badly the anime adaptation of Resurrection F was handled this has got me thinking because the Battle of Gods arc had more redeeming qualities such as the ascension to Super Saiyan God transformation and the setting of the birthday party, Vegeta's reaction to Bulma being hit, and I feel in future when I have more time to kill I'd have no problem rewatching the first arc would be a worthwhile variation of the same storyline.

When you think of it, even if you use the argument not everyone watches the movies so having the two recent movies as serialized TV format makes the series easier to follow Battle of Gods expanded the lore, and introduced Beerus, Whis and the Super Saiyan God ritual, all of which were retained in the Super version, Resurrection F, while fun added nothing new to the table. There was no reason to tell new or casual viewers anything that happened in that movie, they can watch the series (DB + DBZ + DBS - Resurrection F arc) or read Jaco, the 42 original volumes and the Super manga without any of the movies and they won't miss anything.

I personally feel the Resurrection F was a huge waste. It was bound to fail because that part of the story is so action-focused, something the movie benefited from having a much larger budget.

That said I will still be a completionist and buy the Resurrection F Blu-ray when it's released :) .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Re: What if Super only adapted the 'Battle of Gods' arc?

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:59 pm

The RF movie had better action and animation but Super had a better story and ending so I think it was a good idea to remake it into an arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:16 pm

The Super version of BoG needlessly drags out scenes that didn't were perfectly fine in the regular film (Oolong vs Beerus is NOT deserving of a whole episode) and it cut out the backstory for SSG entirely replacing it with.... nothing.

Sure the fight between Goku and Beerus is a lot longer but the conversation pertaining to Goku and his pride was, like the backstory for SSG, cut out entirely and replaced with lots of riveting back and forth like "Beerus-sama! You're so sugoi!" and "Suppa-Saiyajin Goddo!" for the entire thing. Joss Whedon, eat your heart out.

So no, BoG was fine as a film and Resurrection Fs few additions easily could've been just as easily introduced for the U6 Tournament. Unless the Super version completely re-wrote it from scratch, both it and the movie have no reason to exist at aaalll.

They should've just aired the films as Dragon Ball Super-sized prologues & specials for audiences who might not have seen them in theaters and have that be the extent of "re-telling" them.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:19 pm

I forgot they wasted an entire episode on Oolong vs Beerus. That was awful. They also wasted an episode on Pilaf, but at least that one had interesting-to-look-at thick lineart.

Most of the rest of reBOG though, I liked. That princess-catch in ep 14 is one of my favorite things ever in Super so far.

As much as I prefer the reBOG arc to the reF arc, I feel like they were stuck having to do an F arc anyway since the movie scenario was also from Toriyama and part of Super's big ad push was "Toriyama's part of this".

The only real thing of consequence from F was bluper saiyan (though even that hasn't shown up again since, but still may). Gohan deciding to train again hasn't amounted to anything as of ep 33, Piccolo dying was fixed with the namekian DB's very fast, even Krillin who cut his hair for F had his hair grow back for the Champa arc.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The Super version of BoG needlessly drags out scenes that didn't were perfectly fine in the regular film (Oolong vs Beerus is NOT deserving of a whole episode) and it cut out the backstory for SSG entirely replacing it with.... nothing.

Sure the fight between Goku and Beerus is a lot longer but the conversation pertaining to Goku and his pride was, like the backstory for SSG, cut out entirely and replaced with lots of riveting back and forth like "Beerus-sama! You're so sugoi!" and "Suppa-Saiyajin Goddo!" for the entire thing. Joss Whedon, eat your heart out.

So no, BoG was fine as a film and Resurrection Fs few additions easily could've been just as easily introduced for the U6 Tournament. Unless the Super version completely re-wrote it from scratch, both it and the movie have no reason to exist at aaalll.

They should've just aired the films as Dragon Ball Super-sized prologues & specials for audiences who might not have seen them in theaters and have that be the extent of "re-telling" them.
I was about to write the same things. Simply put, it was a waste of time.
However, did not make me so nervous like the horrible adaptation of RoF.

The only thing I found amazing was the rewriting of Tagoma's character (only minimally interesting warrior in Freeza's army) but was replaced in one episode, in a one incredible stupid mode, from the useless Ginew, just to make happy Vegeta's fans, who can now say that their favorite has killed the whole Ginew team.
Last edited by Gorou on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:36 pm

I liked the TV version of the Golden Freeza arc. The scripts and directing were much better and there was much, much less Yamamuro.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I liked the TV version of the Golden Freeza arc. The scripts and directing were much better and there was much, much less Yamamuro.
And much, much more Vegeta.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:36 pm

I would have absolutely fine if Super had only adapted and retold Battle Of Gods. The Resurrection F retelling was one of the worst things the franchise has ever produced and I will always be belligerent towards its existence.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:29 pm

In a perfect world Super would have just went straight into the Champa arc and not adopted either movie as an arc.
Seriously, there was no reason to retcon two movies that were just introduced 3 years (BoG) and 10 months(RoF) ago, especially to replace them with inferior versions, but thats just my opinion.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:13 am

Then the BS 1.3 Million statement won't be fixed.IMO,i find the BOG Arc worse than the ROF Arc overall,but the main fight is the opposite.While the BOG Arc have a decent one,the ROF Arc have horrendous.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Well seeing how...
ekrolo2 wrote:The Super version of BoG needlessly drags out scenes that didn't were perfectly fine in the regular film (Oolong vs Beerus is NOT deserving of a whole episode) and it cut out the backstory for SSG entirely replacing it with.... nothing.

...I absolutely hated the Beerus-arc for the reasons stated above (as well as a bunch of other stuff that was pointlessly omitted... WHY HAVE PILAF THERE IF YOU'RE GOING TO SYSTEMATICALLY ERASE EVERY SINGLE FUN THING THE MOVIE DID WITH HIM?!), and thought that the F-arc, while still overall underwhelming, did at least a few interesting things while still retaining all the plot of the movie... Yeah I thought the Shiny Freeza arc was better than the Beerus arc personally. Though I still would probably have been happier if neither arc had happened and Super had just started with Champa's arrival. Heck, you can pretty much just start watching from there and still be able to follow it perfectly fine if you've seen the movies anyway.