Can you see Super airing on Toonami and doing well?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Can you see Super airing on Toonami and doing well?

Post by Xeztin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:50 am

Basically as the title says, can you see a dubbed Super airing and doing good ratings on Toonami? In a way Super feels... very strange to me. Don't get me wrong I love the series but after BOG it just felt weird to me, even for Dragon Ball standards. It has a very different feel and vibe than Dragon Ball Z, Kai or any of the movies. I understand many would point to Toei using Toriyama's version of Goku instead of the "Super Hero" Goku or it being 20 years later with Toriyama changing which may very well be the point. The characters act very different in their revival series than what they did in the previous, Vegeta himself acts strangely different. What if even with the Dragon Ball name, Super isn't well received outside of Japan? In my opinion, there are more differences between Super and Kai than they are GT and Z. The casual fan may be expecting the series to be more like Kai since it's currently airing on the network and could be turned off by the difference's I mentioned, along with how fast paced it is. It is so fast paced, that if you missed about 2-3 episodes of a arc you'd feel was just heating up, you'd return to find out your now in the next arc. I'm not sure the casual viewer will be all nit picky about the art and animation so that doesn't really concern me. I'm very curious how the Funimation cast, especially Chris Sabat will transition over to this very different Vegeta. Do you think Super will do good enough ratings to keep Super on air? If not, why?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Can you see Super airing on Toonami and doing well?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:55 am

It will most likely air on Toonami since no other channel will air it. Not to mention Kai is doing well and Toonami is still doing well after being rebooted like three and half years ago.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:31 am

Toonami and the shows on there are aimed at teens-adults while Super is aimed at young children and it's quality is very lacking compared to the other shows but it has the DB name so I don't think it'll get bad ratings but I don't think they'll be anything to brag about.

The dub is probably going to sound a bit strange cause we're used to the cast talking and acting normal while everything in Super is Super exaggerated.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:33 am

If it airs after Family Guy it'll do well enough.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:42 am

sintzu wrote:Toonami and the shows on there are aimed at teens-adults while Super is aimed at young children and it's quality is very lacking compared to the other shows but it has the DB name so I don't think it'll get bad ratings but I don't think they'll be anything to brag about.
They play One Piece and Kai so I think it'll be fine.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:56 am

MarcFBR wrote:If it airs after Family Guy it'll do well enough.
It will probably air right after 11:30 PM. I don't think Super will air until 2017 since Toei will probably wants Toonami to finish Kai first. I doubt we will get Super at 12:30 AM right after Kai since having two Dragon Ball shows at the 12 time slot seems unlikely.
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:06 pm

If it's advertised well, I could seeing it doing very good in the ratings for Toonami.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:39 pm

The hate you see on Internet, not always shows what happens in the real world. The other way is valid too.
BOG and especially ROF were 2 movies that a lot of people wanted to flop. In the end, both were a huge success.

Kai is also not that loved on Internet by the old fanbase. And couldn't be doing better in Toonami ratings.
They just need to advertised it well.

Truth is, Super becomes more enjoyable if you know that Dragon Ball is not only DBZ, and the stoy started 153 episodes before it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:00 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Kai is also not that loved on Internet by the old fanbase. And couldn't be doing better in Toonami ratings.
They just need to advertised it well.

Truth is, Super becomes more enjoyable if you know that Dragon Ball is not only DBZ, and the stoy started 153 episodes before it.
Pretty much this. If we went by online hate (and the internet hates almost everything), no one would expect Kai to do so well.
Casuals survived GT, they'll be fine.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Araki wrote:Casuals survived GT, they'll be fine.
I didn't know GT was so hated until some years ago, thanks to the internet.
Bach then, everyone was happy we were getting another DB series and we all got sad when it ended (Talking about here in my country, where GT still re-airs on TV).

And now a lot of people are coming out the closet and say they like GT, and that isn't as bad people make it out to be.
GT' love is increasing proportionally to Super hate.

That's because, big part of this fanbase just seems to follow the pattern: Love the old thing, hate the new one.
When BOG come out a lot of people hated it and said it was the worst DBZ Movie. Then ROF come out, and took all that hate. BOG started to be claimed one of the best DBZ Movies after that.

Now it's happening the same with GT and Super.
The funniest thing is that a part of that group, didn't even saw DB. So if Toriyama tries to go back to his roots, before DBZ, they say it's not Dragon Ball anymore.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:00 pm

BoG was always loved by vast majority and deservedly so.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Where is Toonami at with Kai? Do you think they might announce an English dub of Super when Kai is close to the end?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:09 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote:Where is Toonami at with Kai? Do you think they might announce an English dub of Super when Kai is close to the end?
Dragon Ball Z Kai has reached Episode 59 on Toonami. Episode 60 is set to air today.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball Z Kai has reached Episode 59 on Toonami. Episode 60 is set to air today.
If they don't take any breaks or start airing 2 episodes per week then ep98 will air on the 27th of November so if they have the Buu arc then it'll start in December.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:04 pm

I can't. I can't see people staying up late for a boring poorly animated show that takes 26 episodes until it gets going, Maybe if they started from the U6 arc, people may have some interest.

mikey4111
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikey4111 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:47 pm

It won't do well because the show is horrible. At least so far it is.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:42 pm

If they reach the end of their current re-run of Kai and then move on to Kai: The Final Chapters the very next week then there's a good chance that they'll move onto Super the very next week after that ends as well, which will keep a steady momentum of audience members watching each week as part of their routine. When Super gets an english dub a lot of Dragon Ball fans will watch and probably even watch it all the way through. However, if they wanted a larger audience then they would consider airing the show in an earlier timeslot than what they gave to Kai, since Super is a bit more child friendly so if they air the show earlier then they could get more kids watching while not even having to censor it. Although technically it wont be airing on Toonami but it'll still be the same channel.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Jason DeMarco said that Toonami can get a early time slot if the ratings keep on doing well. So maybe we can have Super at 11:30 PM in 2017.
She/Her

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:57 pm

It's going to bomb so hard. Dragonball''s name won't save this mockery and I'd be surprised if toonami isn't afraid of this.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:41 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:It's going to bomb so hard. Dragonball''s name won't save this mockery and I'd be surprised if toonami isn't afraid of this.
Give me a break. The internet said the same thing about Kai and that garnered the best ratings Toonami has ever gotten since it relaunched.