Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by wjbraden » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
wjbraden wrote: Also, very random question, but does anyone know what happened to TPA Portugal's blog? I go there frequently, but just the other day it's asking if I have an invite. Did he lock it to the public or something?
Don't worry, the owner of TPA is just doing some changes to the blog.
Ok cool, I was worried he took it down or something.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 am

So, is Super Broly receiving a Portuguese dub or not? Kinda interested to see how it turns out in comparison to the Spanish (SV) and English (FUNi) dubs. Probably not as good but entertaining, nonetheless.

As always, no home media release (DBZ, DBGT, Movies, Kai or Super never got one in Portugal) but at least giving it a spot on VoD services would be enough.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:So, is Super Broly receiving a Portuguese dub or not? Kinda interested to see how it turns out in comparison to the Spanish (SV) and English (FUNi) dubs. Probably not as good but entertaining, nonetheless.

As always, no home media release (DBZ, DBGT, Movies, Kai or Super never got one in Portugal) but at least giving it a spot on VoD services would be enough.
Yes, a dub is confirmed to happen. A sub release is the only One that is uncertain.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:Yes, a dub is confirmed to happen. A sub release is the only One that is uncertain.
Good to know. That'll then be available on MEO/ZON and maybe Netflix Portugal?

A sub release isn't that big of a deal, anyone with experience can translate it from English to Portuguese or even better — Japanese to Portuguese (if the translator learned the language, of course).

I still remember what King Cold was called on the Portuguese sub release of Dragon Ball Kai.. Rei Frio. :|

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Sadly, even an accurate dub will never revise and fix the portuguese terminology...

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Sadly, even an accurate dub will never revise and fix the portuguese terminology...
One can still hope. Broly's dub is the biggest chance of the dub going 100% faithful and maybe if Biggs redubs Super they'll also go 100% faithful?
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:One can still hope. Broly's dub is the biggest chance of the dub going 100% faithful and maybe if Biggs redubs Super they'll also go 100% faithful?
The dub may be faithful, but they won't drop 'Guerreiros do Espaço' for 'Saiyanos' (a more logical adaptation), 'Satã' for 'Piccolo', etc, etc...

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:One can still hope. Broly's dub is the biggest chance of the dub going 100% faithful and maybe if Biggs redubs Super they'll also go 100% faithful?
The dub may be faithful, but they won't drop 'Guerreiros do Espaço' for 'Saiyanos' (a more logical adaptation), 'Satã' for 'Piccolo', etc, etc...
I actually think they will. Toei may actually make them drop the dubbisms like they did with SMC, don't forget that Super was a different being of a dub because even if Toei wanted them to drop dubbisms there was nobody there to hear those demands since the dub had no director.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:I actually think they will. Toei may actually make them drop the dubbisms like they did with SMC, don't forget that Super was a different being of a dub because even if Toei wanted them to drop dubbisms there was nobody there to hear those demands since the dub had no director.
Someone once said here that the official portuguese subtitles for the movies (on Netflix, IIRC) kept the existing terminology of the portuguese dub. And this was before Super was announced here.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:I actually think they will. Toei may actually make them drop the dubbisms like they did with SMC, don't forget that Super was a different being of a dub because even if Toei wanted them to drop dubbisms there was nobody there to hear those demands since the dub had no director.
Someone once said here that the official portuguese subtitles for the movies (on Netflix, IIRC) kept the existing terminology of the portuguese dub. And this was before Super was announced here.
That is true. However those subtitles and no input from Toei. Those subtitles were done by someone hired by Netflix and unfortunately any anime that isn't a Netflix Production has very shitty portuguese subtitles.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Well interestingly enough, Battle of Gods' subs have dub terms while F's subs have Japanese terms (Saiyajin, Freeza, etc.)
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:25 pm

omegalucas wrote:while F's subs have Japanese terms (Saiyajin, Freeza, etc.)
Oh? That's interesting.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
omegalucas wrote:while F's subs have Japanese terms (Saiyajin, Freeza, etc.)
Oh? That's interesting.
It depends on the translator. Clearly BoG's and RoF's translator weren't the same.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:The dub may be faithful, but they won't drop 'Guerreiros do Espaço' for 'Saiyanos' (a more logical adaptation), 'Satã' for 'Piccolo', etc, etc...
Like the saying goes; Old habits die hard.

I have nothing but praise for the Catalàn dubs of Dragon Ball but they just don't drop "Space Warriors" and replace it with Saiyans.

"Saiyanos" can work for males while "Saiyanas" for female Saiyans although "Eu sou uma Saiyan." sounds better than "Eu sou uma Saiyana." maybe because I'm too used to the term "Saiyan".

By the way, on DB Movie 4 Portuguese dub, Goku was actually just called Goku a bunch of times rather than always Songoku like they usually do on most dubs. lol

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:21 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:"Saiyanos" can work for males while "Saiyanas" for female Saiyans although "Eu sou uma Saiyan." sounds better than "Eu sou uma Saiyana." maybe because I'm too used to the term "Saiyan".
Maybe, but it is the proper portuguese adaptation of Saiyajin. I guess you could use 'Saiyanês' too, but between 'Saiyano' and 'Saiyanês', I'd rather go with the former.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:21 am

Well, here it is.
Super on Biggs. They say soon but we know it's March. Let's hope this is the beggining of a new era for DB in Portugal.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 am

Gafonso6 wrote:Well, here it is.
Super on Biggs. They say soon but we know it's March. Let's hope this is the beggining of a new era for DB in Portugal.
The promo uses Chouzetsu Dynamic. I guess they'll start from the beginning then.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:38 am

omegalucas wrote:
The promo uses Chouzetsu Dynamic. I guess they'll start from the beginning then.
Yeah.
Now we must hope for two things:
1. That they never stop airing episodes just to start from the beggining.
2. That they start at the beggining of March so that in July we can get the new episodes.
2,5. We actually get a new dub with the same cast (except Gabriel)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:26 pm

A redub would be great but realistically, it's probably the previous dub. :-/

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
A redub would be great but realistically, it's probably the previous dub. :-/
Indeed, if there's a jump in quality it will probably only be seen when 105 airs since it probably won't be dubbed by Audio In.