Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:09 am

omegalucas wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 amCan't you tell them to swap out Guerreiros do Espaço and Satã and stick with the Japanese names? 😂
Yeah, and Hercules to Mr. Satan. "Buu Buu" to Majin Boo and the list goes on.

The Portuguese dub back then was pretty much an official dub/parody as they took far too much liberty with it but it's time they get serious with it and produce a quality dub of Z/etc.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:57 am

omegalucas wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 am
Gafonso6 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 am
alakazam^ wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:21 am Spill the beans, man :lol: you know you want to :wink:
Can't, not yet.

Wasn't expecting them to update the trailer so quickly with Kakarotto but, hey, it's a win. Now I just hope they use Kakarotto during the entire movie, would be very weird to hear Bardock say "Kakarotto" while Vegeta says "Cachalote"
Can't you tell them to swap out Guerreiros do Espaço and Satã and stick with the Japanese names? 😂
I wish I had that type of power over the dub :lol:
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am

FFS now the Cachalote Fanboys are appearing and criticizing the change :')
I prefer Cachalote for consistency purposes with the rest but at least they're trying to be more faithful.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am

diogoarez wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am FFS now the Cachalote Fanboys are appearing and criticizing the change :')
I prefer Cachalote for consistency purposes with the rest but at least they're trying to be more faithful.
Meh, 3 or 4 people complaining about a stupid name is worthless but this quick change made me think of something... I know for a fact that Audio-In didn't re-record the line so they clearly had two takes one with Bardock saying "Son Goku" and one with Bardock saying Kakarotto, what if they dubbed the movie with the dubbisms but Toei made them do it again with the japanese terms? The trailers could be using the scrapped dub with the dubbisms and that would explain why there was such a quick change. I actually have no idea if this theory is true but imagine the outcry! I would love to see those fireworks :twisted:
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Gafonso6 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am
diogoarez wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am FFS now the Cachalote Fanboys are appearing and criticizing the change :')
Meh, 3 or 4 people complaining about a stupid name is worthless but this quick change made me think of something... I know for a fact that Audio-In didn't re-record the line so they clearly had two takes one with Bardock saying "Son Goku" and one with Bardock saying Kakarotto, what if they dubbed the movie with the dubbisms but Toei made them do it again with the japanese terms? The trailers could be using the scrapped dub with the dubbisms and that would explain why there was such a quick change. I actually have no idea if this theory is true but imagine the outcry! I would love to see those fireworks :twisted:
Maybe, I said that to a friend of mine and while I doubt it maybe it happened, would be weird tho.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:20 pm

Jeez, no wonder the Portuguese dubs of Dragon Ball are so backwards, it's because of nostalgic fans who want dubisms to stay no matter what. I frankly wish we'd just gotten the Brazilian dubs of Dragon Ball so that way we'd have avoided the bullshit of Cachalote, Satã, Guerreiros do Espaço, Hercules, Songoku, Kika, etc.

Disney did that back then, they'd use the Brazilian-Portuguese dubs in Portugal and then eventually made Portuguese dubs for Portugal. It's time for Portugal to make quality Dragon Ball dubs and leave the embarrassing dubisms behind.

Oh by the way, glad that Piccolo on the Super dub no longer uses that stupidly weird voice filter as he did on Z.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:48 am

Regarding consistencies and dubisms, the only way you'd satisfy both crowds would be if a complete redub happened (or we actually dubbed Kai from the beginning) or somehow the franchise had a remake. As it stands you'll just create inconsistensies no matter what you do and nobody will be pleased.

Would I like the dub to start getting rid of the dubbisms going forward? Totally, I'd love a more accurate dub that ditched dubisms from an era where we got bad scripts from France.
Would it be a stupid decision to start doing it with the movie? Yes, people have expectations regarding the dub (for better or worse) and start changing things now for the sake of changing doesn't fix anything.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:52 am

Quebaz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:48 am Regarding consistencies and dubisms, the only way you'd satisfy both crowds would be if a complete redub happened (or we actually dubbed Kai from the beginning) or somehow the franchise had a remake. As it stands you'll just create inconsistensies no matter what you do and nobody will be pleased.

Would I like the dub to start getting rid of the dubbisms going forward? Totally, I'd love a more accurate dub that ditched dubisms from an era where we got bad scripts from France.
Would it be a stupid decision to start doing it with the movie? Yes, people have expectations regarding the dub (for better or worse) and start changing things now for the sake of changing doesn't fix anything.
They've removed Freeza's voice filter, Piccolo's voice filter, now using the term Kakarotto, Goku has been recasted and we've seen the 'Freeza' spelling on the trailer. There's a good chance they'll eventually get rid of most dubisms.

Brazil has had amazing Dragon Ball dubs since the 90's so there's really no reason why Portugal with their Portuguese dubs can't get their shit together. If they can't, it's just due to laziness and not caring about the material.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:29 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:52 am
They've removed Freeza's voice filter, Piccolo's voice filter, now using the term Kakarotto, Goku has been recasted and we've seen the 'Freeza' spelling on the trailer. There's a good chance they'll eventually get rid of most dubisms.

Brazil has had amazing Dragon Ball dubs since the 90's so there's really no reason why Portugal with their Portuguese dubs can't get their shit together. If they can't, it's just due to laziness and not caring about the material.
Yet Goku still says Freezer, right there in the trailer. Piccolo and Freeza's voice filter removal isn't part of the "dubisms", it's mostly because the actors themselves don't want it (and apparently there's some weird dubbing regulations that prohibit voice filters in most cases? someone correct me on that one), and in Piccolo's case makes his voice worse. Goku being recasted doesn't have anything to do with dubisms either so not sure why you're mentioning that.

And yes, Brazil had a good dub since the beginning, but thats the difference, they didn't suddenly erase their dub's history.

Here's a good comparsion, the LATAM dub of the orginal Captain Tsubasa series included lots of dub changes because they got their version from Italy, when dubbing J and Road to 2002 they maintained most of these changes despite acquiring them from Japan because they know their audience would be against the sudden changes. Now with the 2018 remake, they went back and started using the original names. Why? Enough time has passed since their 2002 dub and thanks to it being a remake there's a chance to introduce both new and old audiences to these characters in the original form.

Portugal had that chance with Super's dub, and they missed it.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 am

I just got tickets for the pre release screening, I'll tell you my impressions by then.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 am

diogoarez wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 am I just got tickets for the pre release screening, I'll tell you my impressions by then.
Nice, at least we'll have an opinion to get our expectations in check.

Big Picture released a 20sec TV Spot of the second trailer, sooner or later we'll start catching this on TV, especially on Biggs.

I saw a clip (that Big Picture will post soon) earlier today with King Vegeta, Vegeta and Goku on it and it was perfect, King Vegeta's new voice is perfect (Thank God that they didn't go with Loy as King Vegeta), Loy just nailed it going by what I saw and Miguel Raposo sounds great as Goku.

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:55 am

Gafonso6 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 am
diogoarez wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 am I just got tickets for the pre release screening, I'll tell you my impressions by then.
Nice, at least we'll have an opinion to get our expectations in check.

Big Picture released a 20sec TV Spot of the second trailer, sooner or later we'll start catching this on TV, especially on Biggs.

I saw a clip (that Big Picture will post soon) earlier today with King Vegeta, Vegeta and Goku on it and it was perfect, King Vegeta's new voice is perfect (Thank God that they didn't go with Loy as King Vegeta), Loy just nailed it going by what I saw and Miguel Raposo sounds great as Goku.
Nice, a friend of mine said the Kakarotto promo was aired first on Biggs this Monday, so maybe we'll start getting more promo as the time goes.

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am

So, he refused to continue doing the series due to salary issues, and didn't know about the movie. I'm not sure what difference does it make. If salary was the issue, knowing about the movie or not makes no difference.

Not that I follow the dub, but I welcome the new voice that despite being different doesn't have a robotic, monotone performance like Feist. At least that's the impression I got from the trailers.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 am

They rejected the salary out of principles and I can respect that, it's no news that they believe that currently portuguese voice actors are too underpaid and deserve more, they stood their ground with SIC and SIC said yes to them, but instead of making the budget bigger they made the cast smaller, BIGGS and Big Picture said no and they decided to leave, I can respect that decision. There's only one thing that probably wasn't well explained to them in regards to them not being contacted for the movie, after Toei got the new castings for Goku, Freeza, etc. they gave orders that the actors from the movies had to be the same actors that Super's final episodes had.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 pm

How did they not know about the movie, tho? It was getting spread around everywhere.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 pm

BlueChi wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 pm How did they not know about the movie, tho? It was getting spread around everywhere.
They knew about the movie but they weren't contacted to be a part of the movie.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:20 pm

A new clip was just posted. This was the same clip I got to see yesterday and my opinion still stands King Vegeta sounds great, Loy also sounds great and the same goes for Miguel Raposo as Goku.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 am

Gafonso6 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:20 pm A new clip was just posted. This was the same clip I got to see yesterday and my opinion still stands King Vegeta sounds great, Loy also sounds great and the same goes for Miguel Raposo as Goku.
I love Loy's emotion on that scene. The dialogue seems a bit altered (there was a reference to Trunks and no references to ballerinas in the Japanese version) but it fits well.
Hope to hear good stuff of the pre-showing tomorrow.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:31 am

omegalucas wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 am
Gafonso6 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:20 pm A new clip was just posted. This was the same clip I got to see yesterday and my opinion still stands King Vegeta sounds great, Loy also sounds great and the same goes for Miguel Raposo as Goku.
I love Loy's emotion on that scene. The dialogue seems a bit altered (there was a reference to Trunks and no references to ballerinas in the Japanese version) but it fits well.
Hope to hear good stuff of the pre-showing tomorrow.

Although there's no ballerina reference (it is a good nod to the "Fusion Reborn" dub) the Trunks reference was cut from the clip but it will be on the movie