Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PTOldMan

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by PTOldMan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 am

I've been checking out the new episodes and I really have mixed feelings about everything. Although I can stand most of the new voices, and I think that some of them are really good (I absolutely love the new Frieza), I can't really stand Vegeta's new voice.
I don't really understand how audio in or whoever chose the voice thought that a voice trying to emulate Loy's worse moments as Vegeta would work. It's high pitched and very forced, and it really doesn't fit. I'd rather have the actor just use its own voice, the way it feels so forced sounds so bad to me.
I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but right now I am not hearing Vegeta when I hear it. But it is really sad how there are a million Portuguese voice actors that could do a great Vegeta and this is the voice they gave him. But, well, I believe it will get better soon.
As for the rest of the voice actors that are part of the dub since the beginning of Super, it's really nice to be hearing them again, most of them are still great, and it is really a relief to still have Cristina Cavalinhos, although she doesn't have many lines. Today she will have more lines as 18 is going to appear a lot in the next couple of episodes, and she is also voicing Rozie from Universe 2 now.

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 am

PTOldMan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 am I've been checking out the new episodes and I really have mixed feelings about everything. Although I can stand most of the new voices, and I think that some of them are really good (I absolutely love the new Frieza), I can't really stand Vegeta's new voice.
I don't really understand how audio in or whoever chose the voice thought that a voice trying to emulate Loy's worse moments as Vegeta would work. It's high pitched and very forced, and it really doesn't fit. I'd rather have the actor just use its own voice, the way it feels so forced sounds so bad to me.
I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but right now I am not hearing Vegeta when I hear it. But it is really sad how there are a million Portuguese voice actors that could do a great Vegeta and this is the voice they gave him. But, well, I believe it will get better soon.
As for the rest of the voice actors that are part of the dub since the beginning of Super, it's really nice to be hearing them again, most of them are still great, and it is really a relief to still have Cristina Cavalinhos, although she doesn't have many lines. Today she will have more lines as 18 is going to appear a lot in the next couple of episodes, and she is also voicing Rozie from Universe 2 now.
Yeah I'm not liking the new dub that much either, and most of that feeling comes from the god awful Vegeta that Simon Frankel's doing. I really like Simon Frankel's work and he's a great Voice Actor but he should have used his own voice instead of trying to do a Loy impression.

As for the rest, technical errors from Audio In are still happening especially when it comes to script mistakes and the new voices while serviceable really need some ''soul'' to them because as of now they are mostly generic with one or two exceptions.

PS: Jiren is awful and getting worse each new episode, Quimbé started doing a Batman voice and it just doesn't work, oh well at least Miguel Raposo is still an amazing Goku

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:22 pm

diogoarez wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 am script mistakes
What are you talking about? I've been checking the dub from top to bottom to see if there are any mistakes, especially script mistakes and I haven't caught nothing actually note worthy and especially nothing at the levels of the mistakes the dub had on SIC. While the opinions regarding the new Cast are entirely subjective I think that on the objective side of the dub it's quality is much better than whatever it was before Biggs took control. I think the dub is just a dub now, a middle of the road normal dub, and honestly, I'll take that over something that deserves to be studied and used as a template of how not to do a dub.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:30 pm

Okay, so the dub ended just now.

Honestly the difference in quality in general for these last episodes is so big it's actually ridiculous BUT for some reason the post-credit scenes in the final episode weren't there and I honestly don't know why, there wasn't a single thing that wasn't dubbed here, not a single scene cut but these two scenes were? Honestly don't know if this was a Biggs thing or a Audio-In thing. I talk regularly to someone that goes to Audio-In every week and has excellent relations with everyone there so I'll ask and see what happened.

Either way, Raposo was great, new cast also pretty good, Frankel was an okay-ish Vegeta (completely inconsistent but he got pretty good on major scenes, he can scream, and he's better than Loy ever was on the series, better that Super Loy but worse than Broly Loy), Quimbé made Jiren way better and he screamed pretty well. Overall a good dub, way better in general quality than what it was before.

PS: Great little detail that they used the script from the Z dub on the Buu Saga flashback.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:25 pm

Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure is coming to Portugal:
https://www.blueticket.pt/Event/4782?fb ... 5OwMwSQg0U

July 18 20:30 - Altice Arena (Lisbon)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:28 pm

So idk where to post this but this seems like the best place.

Alexandre Maia (the portuguese voice of Bakugou from MHA) posted this insta story today.
It clearly hints at him dubbing something Dragon Ball related at Audio-In and since he was one of the actors that did the Vegeta casting when Loy just bounced after having already recorded some of the latest episodes maybe he's replacing Simon Frankel as Vegeta in something new they are dubbing or just joining the cast.
But what could they be dubbing? BoG and RoF or maybe we finally get the Kai dub with the new cast?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm

If Loy was still doing Vegeta, I would actually be interested in a BOG and ROF dub. But with the current Vegeta voice actor? No thanks.

A Kai dub won't happen. That's a huge project and our market doesn't justify it.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm If Loy was still doing Vegeta, I would actually be interested in a BOG and ROF dub. But with the current Vegeta voice actor? No thanks.

A Kai dub won't happen. That's a huge project and our market doesn't justify it.
My theory is that Alexandre Maia is going to replace the current Vegeta voice since he also did the casting for the character and from what he told me he went to something more like the brazilian/english dub instead of the voices that we had here previously.

Also saying that our market doesn't justify it would make sense a few years ago but not anymore, our market his growing more and more, hell in Comic-Con last year the second biggest panel was the My Hero Academia panel only losing to Millie Bobby Brown. Plus all the anime movies that keep coming to theatres, plus the fact that Dragon Ball is more safe than ever here in Portugal thanks to Dreamia actually not letting their licenses die in their hands unlike SIC, I would say it's more likely that Kai is what's being dubbed DB related rather than BoG and RoF, it's also a smart move because just like what happened with Super SIC let the license for everything DB die in their hands and they no longer have the rights to air anything and it would also not be the first time that Biggs decides to get an anime that big, hell they have an exclusivity deal with TOHO for MHA for every season and they have no idea how long it will be.

Best case scenario would be all of the above get dubbed but if I had to bet on it I would bet on Kai rather than the movies being dubbed to air on TV.

EDIT: Also if our market is big enough to have all of Naruto dubbed all 720 episodes I think it's big enough to handle Kai

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Gafonso6 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:31 pmAlso saying that our market doesn't justify it would make sense a few years ago but not anymore, our market his growing more and more, hell in Comic-Con last year the second biggest panel was the My Hero Academia panel only losing to Millie Bobby Brown. Plus all the anime movies that keep coming to theatres, plus the fact that Dragon Ball is more safe than ever here in Portugal thanks to Dreamia actually not letting their licenses die in their hands unlike SIC, I would say it's more likely that Kai is what's being dubbed DB related rather than BoG and RoF, it's also a smart move because just like what happened with Super SIC let the license for everything DB die in their hands and they no longer have the rights to air anything and it would also not be the first time that Biggs decides to get an anime that big, hell they have an exclusivity deal with TOHO for MHA for every season and they have no idea how long it will be.
It's an undeniable reality. Our market is small, and already has a full dub of the series. Kai is a redux version of that existing content. There's no way that they will do it. There's no return for that (huge) investment.

Dragon Ball is not even among the most watched content among kids. A new series like Super makes sense to invest in. It's brand new content. But Kai? Not going to happen.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:42 pm

Like Gafonso6 shared in the other thread, the movie Super Hero is getting a sub and dub release on August 18: https://www.crunchyroll.com/pt-pt/anime ... e-portugal

I'm honestly surprised.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:12 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:42 pm Like Gafonso6 shared in the other thread, the movie Super Hero is getting a sub and dub release on August 18: https://www.crunchyroll.com/pt-pt/anime ... e-portugal

I'm honestly surprised.
Yeah, considering other European release dates and the track record of anime movies here its really surprising we're one of the first countries in Europe to get the movie

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:34 pm

My surprise is that we are actually getting the movie in theaters to begin with. And with a dub too.

Well, I hope this time we actually get a Blu-ray release, unlike what happened with Broly where we only got a DVD release.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:41 pm

Anime overall is getting more popular in Portugal and Sony buying Crunchyroll can only be good for us, because they always liked to invest in Portugal.

Recently we had the movies from Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen, so the new DB movie was just a matter of time.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:13 pm

Since Broly premiered Big Pictures is more and more open to bringing anime and their partnership with Crunchyroll will only bring more and more

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:25 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:07 pm Who are the voice actors of Goku and Vegeta in the trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlTCYZz_7A
Goku is Miguel Raposo. Some people say that Vegeta is Fábio Pereira (Todoroki from MHA and Guy from Naruto) but I'm not sure but its sounds way better than previous Vegeta Simon Frankel and his Frankenstein of a Loy impression.

If I'm not wrong Fábio Pereira did Vegeta on the portuguese version of DBZ Abridged

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:30 pm

Gafonso6 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:25 pmGoku is Miguel Raposo. Some people say that Vegeta is Fábio Pereira (Todoroki from MHA and Guy from Naruto) but I'm not sure but its sounds way better than previous Vegeta Simon Frankel and his Frankenstein of a Loy impression.

If I'm not wrong Fábio Pereira did Vegeta on the portuguese version of DBZ Abridged
And what about Gohan and Piccolo? Are the ones from the Tournament of Power or they are new to the franchise?

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:18 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:30 pm
Gafonso6 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:25 pmGoku is Miguel Raposo. Some people say that Vegeta is Fábio Pereira (Todoroki from MHA and Guy from Naruto) but I'm not sure but its sounds way better than previous Vegeta Simon Frankel and his Frankenstein of a Loy impression.

And what about Gohan and Piccolo? Are the ones from the Tournament of Power or they are new to the franchise?
They are the same, Luís Lobão as Gohan and Simon Frankel as Piccolo

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:45 pm

Watched the dub version.

Overall I liked it, but Vegeta's voice is horrible. Not as bad as his second voice in DBZ, however it doesn't fit his character at all.
I wasn't expecting Cristina Cavalinhos to return. That was a good surprise. She's still good.

As for the translation, I'm disappointed we still use "Coraçãozinho de Satã" ou "Satã" for Piccolo. I know its an iconic name in our dub, but with a new generation being introduced to the franchise it's about time we fixed that.

Surprisingly they use terms like "Saiyan" and "Kami".

Other changes:
Legião Vermelha - Fita Vermelha
Bolas de cristal - Bolas sagradas (until the last scene where Piccolo says the former...)

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:07 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:45 pmSurprisingly they use terms like "Saiyan" and "Kami".
Wait, did they finally get rid of "Guerreiros do Espaço"?