Who is Goku Black? Your thoughts and theories

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shi_Neko13
Not-So-Newbie

Who is Goku Black? Your thoughts and theories

Post by Shi_Neko13 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:07 am

Ever since Akira Toriyama mentioned Black Goku this character has generated a lot of interest un what his identity might be. We have 2 weeks remaining before we might get some mention or maybe an image of this new villain so in the meantime, who do you think he is? Where is he from and how powerful is this new foe?
This is the first "real" new villain for the series so after piccolo, vegeta, Frieza, Cell, and Buu how do you think this Black Goku will stack up as a villain with all those before him to basically have to outshine?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Who is Black Goku? Your thoughts and theories

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:32 am

Shi_Neko13 wrote:We have 2 weeks remaining before we might get some mention or maybe an image of this new villain
Maybe, but that's not necessarily true either. We were told we'd be getting more information in next weeks Weekly Jump (scheduled to leak in less than 12 hours). That could have information on Goku Black. We could potentially see him in the NEP this weekend as well.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:59 am

Theory: Goku Black excels in sports and hip hop... :silent:
Last edited by Sonicjamareiz on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:06 am

I'll probably be proven wrong hours from now, but until I am, here's my theory:

-An event occurs that wipes out (either quickly or slowly) everyone on Earth except Gokû. Gokû defeats this threat if it's a villain or is immune to it if it's a disease (like say it's something like the heart virus and since he's already experienced something like it first-hand he's the only one who doesn't get sick).
-He needs to get to the dragon balls, but all sets are either inactive or destroyed.
-A mysterious force (the real villain of the arc who is after the super dragon balls) appears and offers Gokû a device that would allow him to travel parallel timelines in hopes of finding a timeline where the dragon balls (or better yet, the super dragon balls) are active so he can wish everyone back.
-This device however (be it magical or tech) is imperfect in that's essentially a RNG of sorts. It'll drop him into a random parallel timeline, but the number of parallel timelines are infinite and histories so vast and varied that chances of even landing on a timeline that hits the qualifications is incredibly low.
-Gokû goes anyway; excited at first, then frustrated, then worried with the idea that maybe he's been had, and then after even more time he eventually starts to having a psychological and emotional breakdown of sorts.
-When Gokû finally arrives in Future Trunks' timeline, he's so far gone that after learning this timeline doesn't have what he's looking for that he snaps and starts battling Future Trunks, who barely makes it out alive.
-Gokû cools down, tries laughing it off in an eerie kind of way which frightens Future Trunks even more, then uses the device and vanishes before Future Trunks' eyes.
-Terrified, Future Trunks races off to warn the main cast about this.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 am

My theory is that the Future Trunks is our Trunks, not the one from Android arc and that Black Goku is Time Breaker Bardock. I'm going to guess the plot is in the near future, time travel becomes capable, someone copy's Bulma's time machine design and tele-ports to the past to bring Goku to the future present to control him (For evil). Little did he know, he traveled back too far and ended up getting Bardock instead of Goku. He gains absolute control over him, throws him a mask, and Time Breaker Bardock is born. (Black Goku). Lay's waist to the city, Trunks can't stop him so he travels back in time. I think this time Goku will travel with him back to the future to stop Black Goku because he is not yet born in Super's current timeline. I'm also guessing that blue portal in the opening that Goku and Vegeta are walking towards is the portal that leads to Trunks future.

Not my theory but would be fun: If the one who copied Bulma's time machine design Incorporated it into a wrist watch, had the name of Paradox who was a human. I'd have him be a pretty strong foe with bringing weapons and gear from the even distant future to combat our current cast of Sayians. Oh! and he has have a white lab coat!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:17 am

Might as well get this out there in the twilight hours of not knowing what this arc will entail. My theory for what could happen, given Dragon Ball's approach to time travel:

-Someone returns to a date even earlier than Cell originally arrived, creating yet another splinter timeline--which would be the one Trunks returns to when he tries to hop back into the past for whatever friendly reason. Since this one would be all out of wack, this is where Trunks encounters whatever evil Goku or clone exists there. He/it hitch a ride into Trunks' future or Trunks winds up stranded in its era--something to prevent him from just zipping back to his time; or his altruistic nature gets the better of him and he wishes to fix this other splinter timeline since his technology may have enabled it.

-Trunks somehow manages to reconnect with the pre-existing series' timeline in order to recruit help, though doing so is much more complex and risky than any of the time travel we've seen thus far. This could be reason to have some of the divine figures involved as well.

Theory for what will happen:

-It won't be that. Some new threat will just crop up in Trunks' timeline that requires him to go back to the past.

Shi_Neko13
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shi_Neko13 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:14 pm

An "Official" Black Goku thread popped up a few hours after mine with the news of the Black Goku image. To avoid redundancy, I'll post my thoughts and opinions in the other thread.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:31 pm

I think he is Bardock. My theory is that the story will probably pick some elements from Dragon Ball Minus and develop a plot similar to Dragon Ball Heroes/Dragon Ball Xenoverse.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:I think he is Bardock. My theory is that the story will probably pick some elements from Dragon Ball Minus and develop a plot similar to Dragon Ball Heroes/Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
The poster shows his left cheek, and no scar is seen. Unfortunately the one in the poster is indeed Goku (or Turles).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:I think he is Bardock. My theory is that the story will probably pick some elements from Dragon Ball Minus and develop a plot similar to Dragon Ball Heroes/Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
The poster shows his left cheek, and no scar is seen. Unfortunately the one in the poster is indeed Goku (or Turles).
Which poster? Not that I don't believe you, but it gives fundament to your comment. My bad, I was a bit lazy on my own. I'm based in the assumption that Super integrates some of Toriyama's recent works, like Jaco and Neko Majin, and I thought, perhaps they will use something of Dragon Ball Minus..
Last edited by Hugo Boss on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:56 pm

I'm still clinging to the hope that "Goku Black" is a red herring, but I'm guessing that the actual villain is a time traveller who's gone through history, and realising the significant impact Goku has, alter his/her appearance to look like Goku, and use his appearance to create havoc in the timeline. The enter Future Trunks...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Which poster? Not that I don't believe you, but it gives fundament to your comment. My bad, I was a bit lazy on my own. I'm based in the assumption that Super integrates some of Toriyama's recent works, like Jaco and Neko Majin, and I thought, perhaps they will use something of Dragon Ball Minus..
This one.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:54 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:Which poster? Not that I don't believe you, but it gives fundament to your comment. My bad, I was a bit lazy on my own. I'm based in the assumption that Super integrates some of Toriyama's recent works, like Jaco and Neko Majin, and I thought, perhaps they will use something of Dragon Ball Minus..
This one.
Is that Mai with Trunks?

vilker

Re: Who is Goku Black? Your thoughts and theories

Post by vilker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:44 am

My theory is that this Black Goku is mirai Goten.

Before the Goku death, Chichi got pregnant and 9 months later Goten was born. When Androids awoke, they went to kill Goku to his home. Chichi died trying to protect Goten and she hid to avoing being discovered because his strong resemblance to Goku.

1. Bulma sends to the space Goten trying to protect him from androids, because is the first objective of androids due his similarity with Goku. Goten has a difficult childhood and turns black.

2. Bulma takes care of the small saiyan, but He is so traumatized cause the death of his mother and very impotence, seeing as his brother and Trunks train and they never saved his mother. He steals the spaceship of Bulma and go to train to another planet vowing revenge.

Goten xeno has the same outfit:

https://www.google.es/search?q=goten+xe ... 4Q_AUIBigB

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:02 am

vilker wrote:My theory is that this Black Goku is mirai Goten.
That would be cool, but it only works if this Goten is from a different timeline than the Future Trunks we know. There are too many holes otherwise.

After seeing the picture, that short summary for episode 47, etc, i'll go with the theory that Goku Black is "our" very own Goku after whatever happens to him and he steals the (now unfueled) time machine Trunks will leave in his timeline, to pursue something.

It sounds not complicated enough to be unlikely, and it's the kind of paradox that i think Toriyama would love to toy with. It's also a lot cooler than, say, a Goku from U6 IMO. That would mean it's actually Goku after snapping, and not an alternate who was always evil.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:34 am

Maybe it has something to do with the RR Army and the androids, they did name their leaders after colors

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:40 am

Araki wrote:
vilker wrote:My theory is that this Black Goku is mirai Goten.
That would be cool, but it only works if this Goten is from a different timeline than the Future Trunks we know. There are too many holes otherwise.

After seeing the picture, that short summary for episode 47, etc, i'll go with the theory that Goku Black is "our" very own Goku after whatever happens to him and he steals the (now unfueled) time machine Trunks will leave in his timeline, to pursue something.

It sounds not complicated enough to be unlikely, and it's the kind of paradox that i think Toriyama would love to toy with. It's also a lot cooler than, say, a Goku from U6 IMO. That would mean it's actually Goku after snapping, and not an alternate who was always evil.
I am kind of confuse reading this. Do you mean the Goku we have been following in the main timeline somehow got to Trunks' time to terrorize him? Or, are you saying that Black Goku is a future version of our Goku where he snaps and somehow gets into Trunks' time?

I also don't see Black Goku relating to the Red Ribbon Army. For one, Gero hated Goku with a passionate of thousand suns. I can't see someone even as twisted as Gero making an android, cyborg, or clone of someone he despises so much, despite the irony that Cell was created with some of Goku's cells. I think black is in this case just supposed to me he's evil.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:49 am

HeroR wrote:I am kind of confuse reading this. Do you mean the Goku we have been following in the main timeline somehow got to Trunks' time to terrorize him? Or, are you saying that Black Goku is a future version of our Goku where he snaps and somehow gets into Trunks' time?
The latter. We know Trunks comes to the current timeline with no fuel to get back, so present Bulma will have to work on that. This way, there's a time machine around, that within months will be ready to get back to Trunks' time - like that one time a Cell found a time machine and used it.
So, if something bad happens to the Goku we know at some point in the future, putting him in the path of Goku Black, he'll have a time machine at his disposal and ready to reach Trunks' time.

It's a crazy paradox (how would Goku travel to Trunks' timeline as Goku Black if Trunks never came to his present again?), but Toriyama is no stranger to that.
And well, if Goku Black isn't a being from Trunks' time, that means he is using some sort of time machine himself.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:02 am

Araki wrote:
The latter. We know Trunks comes to the current timeline with no fuel to get back, so present Bulma will have to work on that. This way, there's a time machine around, that within months will be ready to get back to Trunks' time - like that one time a Cell found a time machine and used it.
So, if something bad happens to the Goku we know at some point in the future, putting him in the path of Goku Black, he'll have a time machine at his disposal and ready to reach Trunks' time.

It's a crazy paradox (how would Goku travel to Trunks' timeline as Goku Black if Trunks never came to his present again?), but Toriyama is no stranger to that.
And well, if Goku Black isn't a being from Trunks' time, that means he is using some sort of time machine himself.
I see. That theory does makes sense in a very twisted way.

I was thinking more along the lines that Black Goku is our Goku from the main timeline that somehow got into Trunks' time. Like at some point, like after Goku leaves with Uub or something, an incident will happened to Goku that will corrupt him and sends him on the path to becoming Black Goku. The long-term consequences after Black Goku is dealt with is learning what this incident was and how to keep Goku from becoming Black Goku. Kind of like the storyline with the Justice Lords from Justice League.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:16 am

Shi_Neko13 wrote: Who do you think he is ?

Where is he from ?

how powerful is this new foe ?

This is the first "real" new villain for the series so after piccolo, vegeta, Frieza, Cell, and Buu how do you think this Black Goku will stack up as a villain with all those before him to basically have to outshine ?
We now know he's a version of Goku which is a bit disappointing cause I was hoping he'd be someone new just using Goku's name.

I'm not sure but hopefully it'll be a surprise cause him just being an alternate Goku would be predictable.

Strong enough to give our Goku and everyone else trouble.

Piccolo was developed in 2 full arcs, Freeza, Cell & Buu each got a very long arc to develop them & Vegeta was developed across 4 arcs so it depends on how long this arc is, weather or not he survives it and most importantly the writing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.