What are you most happy and agitated with regarding super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

What are you most happy and agitated with regarding super?

Post by kinisking » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:56 pm

Super has gotten rather mixed responses at times. What's your favorite thing about the show and what's your least favorite?
Favorite:
Character interactions. Super has nailed that one imo. Not necessarily in fights, but even outside of fights it's entertaining
Least favorite: Character usage in fights. Goku and Vegeta aren't enough. People bring up Beerus and Whis as being powerful and relevant but I don't see them fighting with Goku and Vegeta against threats or anything really.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What are you most happy and agitated with regarding supe

Post by Kagari » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:40 pm

A lot of the slice of life stuff has really been on point. I think they've done a pretty good job with that. On the other hand, they spent a lot of time retelling two movies and a tournament that was really too one-sided for its own good. Now, that tournament was only 10 episodes or so and the movies weren't changed too much from their original versions but the thing Super has lacked the most in a long-term consequence. There was some potential for that in the Universe 6 arc but they really brushed off that conclusion quite quickly. There's also the issue of the rest of the cast just sort of being... there, to an extent anyway. A lot of them feel like background decorations at the moment with the exception of maybe Piccolo and Gohan who have had some character developments. Poor Goten and Trunks aren't really doing much of anything and the chance they just had in that mini filler arc was wasted on Goku and Vegeta. Definitely not what I wanted to see, personally.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:02 pm

All the "cooldown" and slice of life episode have been marvellous and have provided great character interactions and genuinely wonderful moments. No doubt the thing about Super I hate more than anything else is the Resurrection F retelling. Not only is that the low point of Super, barring the final episode, but it's one of the low points of the entire franchise.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:07 pm

I'd have to agree with being the most happy with the slice of life stuff. That's always been some of my favorite anime additions to the story as a whole, as the manga proper (especially as it went on) had progressively less and less of that kind of material. Sure, it's fluff, but if it's good fluff, then I'm all for it. As far as fights go, I'm most happy with Vegeta V.S. Botamo, mostly for Botamo just being a really fun character with unique abilities for this franchise, and Goku V.S. Hit because man did they finally deliver a solid fight by the end of that.

Most agitated with, the series itself and not other elements? Hmm...well, I guess the Frost thing is one thing, but most of all, I'd actually cite the Battle of Gods adaptation. Say what you will about the Resurrection 'F' take in Super, I don't recall it being nearly as mind-numbingly dull as Goku's fight with Beerus ended up being by the end of it's multiple episodes in that arc. Also, Super's take on Vegeta's 'My Bulma' moment might single-handedly be the most awkward, bizarre thing the franchise has ever cranked out. It's just...so...surreal in how over the top it is, and not in a good way.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Right now the thing I love about Super is its humor. Sure a few jokes have fallen flat, but stuff like Vegeta and the pacifier can be pretty funny. I actually laughed out loud when he found out what it was.

As for what's not so great, so far it's just felt small to me. Each story arc took place in one location, whereas in Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z there were fights in plenty of settings for each arc. Even in the Namek arc, where every setting looked the same, at least they moved around. Of course so far all we've gotten are two movie adaptations (pretty much just one fight each), a tournament, and a short "filler", so it makes sense that they stay in one place. Hopefully they'll use this next arc as an opportunity to spread out and create a "larger scale" story.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:40 pm

What I'm happy with :

Vegeta being a main character.
The opening and endings.
The changes made to RF's story.
The 12 universes concept.
Future Trunks returning.

What I'm disappointed with :

The under usage of the other characters like Piccolo.
The soundtrack.
The character designs.
The "been there done that" feel that the stories have.
The overall production.
The writing.
Goku's character.
The lack of tension and danger.
The constant cutting to "comedy" during serious moments.
Extending the BOG story without changing or adding anything to it.

Super has been receiving mixed reactions from day 1 and fans are AGAIN giving it another chance to prove it's a worthy sequel to the original but if the upcoming arc's a mess like the retellings or underwhelming like the Champa arc then those mixed reactions are more than likely going to turn into hate.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Happiest with: Gokû and Vegeta as classmates (with Vegeta as the "senpai") and roommates and the slice of life stuff. The princess-catch. The green couch scene. Gokû jumping through a wall. Gokû pretending to be hit, then flying back to grab his tractor and then flying back off again. The artwork grocery list.

Agitated with: The loose ends left by no visit to Planet Sadla after all. No reveal on Cabba's backstory. No reveal of what the king of Planet Sadla looks like. Not enough scenes of characters training.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:09 pm

sintzu wrote:What I'm happy with :

Vegeta being a main character.
The opening and endings.
The changes made to RF's story.
The 12 universes concept.
Future Trunks returning.

What I'm disappointed with :

The under usage of the other characters like Piccolo.
The soundtrack.
The character designs.
The "been there done that" feel that the stories have.
The overall production.
The writing.
Goku's character.
The lack of tension and danger.
The constant cutting to "comedy" during serious moments.
Extending the BOG story without changing or adding anything to it.

Super has been receiving mixed reactions from day 1 and fans are AGAIN giving it another chance to prove it's a worthy sequel to the original but if the upcoming arc's a mess like the retellings or underwhelming like the Champa arc then those mixed reactions are more than likely going to turn into hate.
I agree I feel like people have been lenient on super lately super is like a mediocre sport team tends to show signs of potential of greatness then finds way to shit on that potential and leaves you dissapoint at the end 50/50 is how super been overall but can change to 8/10 or gt/10 or worse.
Also here mines
Changes to rof story ex.goku get shot by sorbet in base powered down form instead of in ssjb in the movie.
Multiverse concept.
Some of the humor
That's it
Agitated
-gohan portrayal
-usage of the cast
-goku character
-piss poor animation
-boring fight choreography.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 pm

pacz360 wrote: I agree I feel like people have been lenient on super lately super is like a mediocre sport team tends to show signs of potential of greatness then finds way to shit on that potential and leaves you disappointed at the end.
The reason people are lenient and keep giving it chances is because we know Toriyama and Toei can make it great if they tried a bit harder cause they've done it before with DB&Z.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:27 pm

sintzu wrote:
pacz360 wrote: I agree I feel like people have been lenient on super lately super is like a mediocre sport team tends to show signs of potential of greatness then finds way to shit on that potential and leaves you disappointed at the end.
The reason people are lenient and keep giving it chances is because we know Toriyama and Toei can make it great if they tried a bit harder cause they've done it before with DB&Z.
Oh I know but toei and Tori really hasn't giving me reasons to trust them but hey surprise me really all I know going by how there hyping the future trunks arc IDK whether they'll go all in this one.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:47 am

Just like everyone else Super has done slice of life stuff pretty good. Episode 2,15,16,17&43 they are really really fun.Also 3rd and 4th ED songs are nice.

Thats it everything else is below average and sometimes unbearable be it the fights,music,sound effects,choreography,animation&most important the plot.

- Travis

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:17 am

Happy with: Most of the new concepts, actually. It's interesting to have a new take on continuing the series that keeps ramping up the expansion. I think whatever culmination this larger gods era has could end up putting a decent new spin on the series. Also, I'm really vibing on Trunks and Mai, as it's probably one of the funniest things in terms of character interactions Toriyama's done in a while, and it finally feels like something unexpected and substantial happened in what we know of their lives. I like Freeza's reprisal a lot. Hit is great. On paper, it's all (or mostly, see the very end of this post) good.

Agitated with: Super's this weird case where I think most of Toriyama's plot points could work incredibly well if told through his manga, or even his scripts -- as I really enjoy both the post-2013 movies -- but the TV series itself is just a mess, and most developments are so bungled in both scripting (boy, oh boy does it make you appreciate Toriyama's comedic timing and character-writing; he's providing material perhaps only he and a few others could really execute) and animation, I feel like I have to talk about the concepts and the series' execution separately. This is especially true when we have the Toriyama-scripted movies and the promotional manga to help us play guessing games between Toriyama's specified elements and Toei's decisions. So, just the execution all around. Remember the incorporation of the Pilaf gang into the Battle of Gods TV arc? Holy shit. That entire story line is probably a low point for the franchise, while the movie is one of its highs.

I'm also not sold on the feeling of stagnancy that doesn't befit the tone of the original manga -- I think most of the larger points could fit right into the series' original run, but it's hard to believe we'd still be seeing child-sized Goten and Trunks, for example. Things like that crop up as reminders that this is more of a product, and one that still appears to be trying to step delicately within the bounds of an ending written twenty years ago.

And while I think a larger, meaningful arc could be wrought out of this still, there's been enough back and forth on development for Goku and Vegeta, whether Beerus and Champa are actually problematic, etc., that at this point, I'm not sure this is a story that can even pretend to have needed to be told. In some ways it feels classically irreverent and bold, and in others it feels quite safe, and that's a space Dragon Ball has never really occupied before.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Also, Super's take on Vegeta's 'My Bulma' moment might single-handedly be the most awkward, bizarre thing the franchise has ever cranked out. It's just...so...surreal in how over the top it is, and not in a good way.
I completely forgot about this, and I don't want to detract from the less nit-picky points above, but -- oh, my god, yeah. The TV version of "my Bulma" is single-handedly the most embarrassing scene in the franchise.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:52 am

The series has basically become a glorified fanfic:

- New Super Saiyan forms

- Freeza returns

- Future Trunks returns

- Goku and Vegeta are the only two who matter

etc.

That being said I love Beerus/Whis and the Champa tournament was OK for what it was. The slice of life eps are great too. Everything else is just....meh.

In fact I'd almost wager to say Super is the final death bell on Dragonballs lifespan. Once Toriyama calls it quits again and Super runs its course, I think we're done for good this time. Super is really not how I imagined the series continuing.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:24 am

Chuquita wrote:Agitated with: The loose ends left by no visit to Planet Sadla after all. No reveal on Cabba's backstory. No reveal of what the king of Planet Sadla looks like.
We might get all that somewhere later on down the road. I highly doubt they would mention and tease all of that in the Universe 7 v Universe 6 arc and not elaborate on it later. I'm sure we'll learn more about Cabba and the Universe 6 Saiyan race later... probably before or during the Universal Tournament arc.

What I'm happy with:
- I'm loving all of the new material so far and I'm super hyped for Future Trunks's return.
- Goku vs Hit is one of my favourite fights in the entire franchise. It's definitely in my top 10.
- The slice-of-life episodes are fantastic. Episodes 16, 17, 42 and 43 being my favourites.
- Champa and Vados are great additions to the cast of characters. So is Hit, I hope to see more of him.
- Literally anything by Naoki Tate is just fucking awesomeness.
- Goku and Vegeta's interactions are perfect. I loved Episode 18 because of their competitiveness and banter. Great stuff.

What I'm agitated with:
- I HATE how stupid they're making Goku. Goku's stupid... but he's not THAT stupid. Shit like him not being able to differentiate a purple fucking Vegeta to the real Vegeta just makes me cringe.
- The Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' retellings, while not bad, were completely pointless and really served no purpose.
- The obvious: the art and animation can look god awful sometimes.
- I don't know if this counts, but it will if it comes to fruition. if Gohan after that whole "I wanna train again" in the end of the Res 'F' arc really doesn't go anywhere then I'll be really fucking agitated. You can't just have him start training and not have him fight again. I really really hope that he actually does something in the next arc.
- Oh yeah, forgot to mention this: Sumitomo's score can sound like complete ass sometimes. Sometimes even the placement is off. I wish we got Hiroshi Takaki.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:32 am

Happy with :

• new forms
• freeza getting a huge powerup
• frost
• new characters are pretty good
• Dragonball being back
• very good story

Unhappy with:

• desperately need someone other than goku or vegeta to fight, watching same fighting styles of those two gets stale pretty fast
• don't kick gohan out of the story so hard
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:08 am

I'm happy with:
  • New Dragon Ball content!
  • The new characters are (usually) really interesting and fun.
  • The new forms, the power... It feels right to see.
I'm unhappy with:
  • Being stuck in Age 779 (or 780, it's debatable). Can we move on soon, please
  • Goten, Trunks and especially Marron are stuck in their Buu saga ages. Technically, Pan is also stuck as a baby.
  • WEN BULLA
  • There's been some bad execution of ideas. Ginyu in the Golden Freeza arc comes to mind.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:27 am

precita wrote:The series has basically become a glorified fanfic:

- New Super Saiyan forms

- Freeza returns

- Goku and Vegeta are the only two who matter.
This all happened in the original series, GT and some of the movies.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:22 am

Chuquita wrote: Agitated with: The loose ends left by no visit to Planet Sadla after all. No reveal on Cabba's backstory. No reveal of what the king of Planet Sadla looks like. Not enough scenes of characters training.
I don't think we're done with Universe 6 yet, they did way to much establishing to just throw them away until the next tournament. Hopefully since Black is a massive threat the Unvierse 6 guys come in to help in this arc and then we can finally go to Universe 6 after Black is dealt with, or maybe Black goes and attacks Universe 6 as well.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:56 am

The episode 47 preview is the only thing that's made me happy about this show. I cannot think of a single positive thing about it. Even GT had some things I was happy with. Super is just terrible.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
precita wrote:The series has basically become a glorified fanfic:

- New Super Saiyan forms

- Freeza returns

- Goku and Vegeta are the only two who matter.
This all happened in the original series, GT and some of the movies.
And thats makes it acceptable because...?