So who or what is Black?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Re: So who or what is Black?

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Because it's likely that Goku Black has some type of affiliation with the green Kaioshin shown in the opening, my assumption is that Goku Black is either the following:

A.) Creation of that said Kaioshin.
B.) Is in fact the Kaioshin taking on the appearance of Goku.

I'm leaning more towards B. - that the Kaioshin is most likely taking the form of Goku. But the question is, why Goku of all people? I'm also questioning what is his motive or reasoning could be. Because the Kaioshin bares striking resemblance to the U6 Kaioshin shown in the Universe Tournament arc, it could be that he was a fallen Kaioshin that later turned into a Makaioshin from that universe.
Last edited by ryou766 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:Isn't that the guy who wrote the "My Bulma!" scene? I'd say he's just as bad as the others.
That was Toriyama.

"I thought the concepts in the story I received were good, the contents were a bit dark, and in the midst of making partial changes, I got carried away, and ended up making it into an almost completely different story"
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:Gods and the early DB Super episodes? The Pilaf gang used the Dragon Balls to become young.
Different timelines. It's been stated that whatever happens in present has no affect on the future. Hence the reason the future didn't change. Future Mai =/=present Mai
Sigh.

So, Pilaf's gang wish happened earlier in the Future Trunks Timeline? But the numbers do not add up. Wasn't Mai before the wish already in her 40s, maybe 50s? Unless the time between the end of the Androids Saga and the arrival of Black is not the same amount of time as compared with the original timeline from Cell's death to today?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:48 pm

successoroffate wrote:So, Pilaf's gang wish happened earlier in the Future Trunks Timeline? But the numbers do not add up. Wasn't Mai before the wish already in her 40s, maybe 50s? Unless the time between the end of the Androids Saga and the arrival of Black is not the same amount of time as compared with the original timeline from Cell's death to today?
No, it happened at the same time. Mai before the wish was in her 40s or 50s. After the wish, she became young and then started growing up normally at about the same rate as Trunks in both timelines.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:03 pm

ryou766 wrote:Because it's likely that Goku Black has some type of affiliation with the green Kaioshin shown in the opening, my assumption is that Goku Black is either the following:

A.) Creation of that said Kaioshin.
B.) Is in fact the Kaioshin taking on the appearance of Goku.

I'm leaning more towards B. - that the Kaioshin is most likely taking the form of Goku. But the question is, why Goku of all people? I'm also questioning what is his motive or reasoning could be. Because the Kaioshin bares striking resemblance to the U6 Kaioshin shown in the Universe Tournament arc, it could be that he was a fallen Kaioshin that later turned into a Makaioshin from that universe.

Why would he take the apperance of Goku or create a being similar to Goku?
Something must have happened to Future Goku in the afterlife. He was most likely corrupted and manipulated in some way, he also refers to Trunks as "Saiyan", that was indeed strange to hear.
Maybe "Black" is a being who took control of Goku's body or managed to lure Goku into fusing with him.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Its obvious Mai wished to be young along with the rest of the pilaf gang in the actual time line(future trunks' time line) and so isnt old in the future.

Also, i think the kaioshin will be a good guy but had a hand in the creation of goku black.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:14 pm

emperior wrote:Why would he take the apperance of Goku or create a being similar to Goku?
Something must have happened to Future Goku in the afterlife. He was most likely corrupted and manipulated in some way, he also refers to Trunks as "Saiyan", that was indeed strange to hear.
Maybe "Black" is a being who took control of Goku's body or managed to lure Goku into fusing with him.
It is possible, if he is indeed from U6, that the Kaioshin may have heard of Goku's role in the tournament and took interest in him.

But the question is, why aim for Trunks' timeline in particular?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:40 pm

I think the Green Kaioshin is the one who created Black. He may have meet Goku in Future Trunks timeline and somehow created him to be evil.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:47 pm

My theory is that he/she/it is a time travelling shape-shifter that took the form of Goku, after realising his importance in the timeline, the deceive all those he comes across while giving Goku a bad reputation.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm pretty sure Goten was conceived during the ROSAT/Cell Games time frame. Goku died of the heart virus before that took place. It couldn't be Goten. Goku also used the word "Saiyan" with content when he spoke to Trunks. It has to be some type of body snatching/clone/android type of deal going on with Black.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:24 pm

My guess is this, what we are dealing with is a Goku imposter created by something very much like an Eternal Dragon or Demon that wants revenge on the lives or even legacy of Goku and/or Future Trunks.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:My theory is that he/she/it is a time travelling shape-shifter that took the form of Goku, after realising his importance in the timeline, the deceive all those he comes across while giving Goku a bad reputation.
If that's the case, he took Goku's shape during his visit at Future Trunks timeline...right? Or you mean the importance of Goku as a whole in every timeline?
Well, if we're talking Future Trunks timeline, it's not like he was giving Goku a bad reputation to a bunch of people. If most of the earth habitants were not dead already because of the Androids...they're probably dead now because of Black.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Black's obviously going to come to our time, so no one can say that he was born in Trunk's timeline. I believe it's Future Goten, for one because of the sleeves. Goku never wears sleeves, and while that's a weak point, it's still a point. For all we know the Kaioshin could have overtook Goten 10 years into the future before Trunk's timeline. Toriyama said it was going to be confusing so there's obviously going to be a lot of time hopping involved. In all honesty, I think that Kaioshin gave Goten an earing to control him, and eventually Goten will take both earings fusing him with the Kaioshin giving him SSJW. I also think that once the earings are removed, Goten will go back to being... well Goten, because there is a much greater evil here. I believe who ever gave Goten that earing mistook him for being Goku. I think the geen kaioshin is from one of the 6 universes that was blew up and wants revenge. I also believe "Black Goku" was inspired by Xicor because of their similarities.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Xeztin wrote:I believe it's Future Goten, for one because of the sleeves. Goku never wears sleeves, and while that's a weak point, it's still a point.
By that logic he is Black from the Red Ribbon Army because his name is Black and Goku is not known as Black.

I think it is either a corrupted Goku or a shapeshifter.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Cetra wrote:
Xeztin wrote:I believe it's Future Goten, for one because of the sleeves. Goku never wears sleeves, and while that's a weak point, it's still a point.
By that logic he is Black from the Red Ribbon Army because his name is Black and Goku is not known as Black.

I think because we never got to see a Future Goten is another big reason, Future Trunks+Future Goten= $$$ in merch sells.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:25 pm

If Black turned out to be Mirai Goten, I'll be done.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:29 pm

ryou766 wrote:If Black turned out to be Mirai Goten, I'll be done.
I'll probably take back every bad thing I said about Toriyama's current writing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Xeztin wrote:
Cetra wrote:

I think because we never got to see a Future Goten is another big reason, Future Trunks+Future Goten= $$$ in merch sells.
The only Future Goten that you are gonna see is in vol. 42 and in GT. Alternate Goten does not exist. At least not in Trunks' timeline. Why would he track down Trunks on that timeline? And for what reason would you really take a character like Goten who can barely even be called "character" at all - there is really no reason besides - like you said - merchandise.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:30 pm

ryou766 wrote:If Black turned out to be Mirai Goten, I'll be done.
This is just fan art, but you gotta admit he favors Goten more than Goku in my opinion. He didn't appear to have as much muscle mass in the anime either.
Last edited by Xeztin on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:35 pm

The only Future Goten that you are gonna see is in vol. 42 and in GT. Alternate Goten does not exist. At least not in Trunks' timeline. Why would he track down Trunks on that timeline? And for what reason would you really take a character like Goten who can barely even be called "character" at all - there is really no reason besides - like you said - merchandise.
That's what Super is for- To sell merchandise. Goten can exist in other timelines just like ours, my personal theory is that the green kaioshin, is from one of the six universes that was destroyed, and went back in time in our 7th universe looking for Goku and got Goten by mistake. Having young Goten and Trunks meet their older counterparts is something for a plot and merch. Who knows, Goten and Trunks of our time might start taking training seriously after that.

Edit- sorry for the Double Post.