The last thing Bulma saw...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

The last thing Bulma saw...

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Before she died, was Goku's face. Getting killed by her childhood best friend, or at least someone who looks like him.

That's... actually pretty good writing, don't you think?

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Re: The last thing Bulma saw...

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:35 pm

I actually pointed this out in the EP47 thread.

I think it was a nice/sad touch they added and it made me feel even more for Bulma's death.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:Before she died, was Goku's face. Getting killed by her childhood best friend, or at least someone who looks like him.

That's... actually pretty good writing, don't you think?
Man, I never thought about that. Just watched the episode for the first time. Yeesh. I like the direction though. Super has been pretty light, so it's a nice change of pace. It could have been intense if they showed Bulma open her eyes and a flame break apart with her seeing a glimpse of Goku Black's face then having her let out a "Go..Goku?" then blam! Regardless the scene was great. Sad, but great.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:40 pm

It is a really good twist, whatever's going on, whoever Black is, even if its not really Goku. That's a dark and heart breaking way to go out, staring at pretty much your childhood best friend in the face who has an evil smirk with evil intentions.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Yeah, I didn't think about it until other people started pointing it out in the episode discussion thread, but damn that's messed up. Poor Bulma, being murdered by someone who looks just like her childhood friend, right in front of her son :( They're really going hard right out of the gate with this dark tone, with Trunks (possibly, in Mai's case) losing two of the people closest to him right away. I feel like making his timeline so shitty that there's nothing for him to go back to, they must be setting it up for him to either stay in our timeline, or for the Super Dragon Balls to get involved and everything gets fixed in his.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:15 pm

True, it would have been better if Toei added scenes like while Black's crushing Bulma, she then remembers Goku as a kid and sheds a tear.

Anyways hell yeah this was quite the twist if only I wasnt spoiled I would be flippin 9000 tables after that reveal of Black's identity.

Actually watching it made me shed a tear, when we all knew Goku was the one choking Bulma, made me fcking remember they're best friends, DB started with them... then this.... just damn.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:32 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:True, it would have been better if Toei added scenes like while Black's crushing Bulma, she then remembers Goku as a kid and sheds a tear.

Anyways hell yeah this was quite the twist if only I wasnt spoiled I would be flippin 9000 tables after that reveal of Black's identity.

Actually watching it made me shed a tear, when we all knew Goku was the one choking Bulma, made me fcking remember they're best friends, DB started with them... then this.... just damn.
I thought it was weird right off the bat, that neither Trunks or Bulma acknowledged him looking like Goku. Almost as if they know the reason behind it, or that it's not Goku or even related to him at all.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Xeztin wrote: I thought it was weird right off the bat, that neither Trunks or Bulma acknowledged him looking like Goku. Almost as if they know the reason behind it, or that it's not Goku or even related to him at all.
I thought about this too. In the end of the episode, trunks seems like he already knows what is going on. Plus the fact they keep calling him black and not goku.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:02 pm

It's ironic that Bulma had sent Trunks into the past for Goku's assistance, and a Goku lookalike was the one to shatter their world.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 pm

Alas, they didn't take advantage of that circumstance, but yes, it was sad

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:56 pm

I never thought about that way, but damn, that is kinda tragic. Dramatic irony at its best.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:48 pm

I didn't feel anything for Blooma for 2 reasons the music was not at all impactful and the scene went through pretty quickly it's Blooma's death they could've made it more dramatic and maybe i would've felt something for her. So, nothing special IMO.

- Travis

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:24 pm

To be fair, Bulma tried killing Goku when they first met, so she should have seen this coming...

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:32 pm

The last thing she saw was the memories of their childhood together playing on her mind.

There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:19 am

I might the only one here who thinks not playing up the drama was effective. Goku Black vaporized her as if it was nothing to him, almost as if it were expected he wouldn't make an event out of it. Maybe it doesn't give Bluma the best sendoff, but it portrays Goku Black as especially cruel to dispose of her the way he did.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:39 am

I don't think they should have made an event out of it, but maybe touched on it. A quick glance in this medium can say volumes.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 am

Flashbacks to Bulma and Gokuu's childhood wouldn't have worked because we're not supposed to know what Black looks like yet. Maybe have a tear roll down Bulma's cheek or something before she gets incinerated, but Black's identity has to remain unknown until that moment at the end of the episode.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:55 am

Am I the only one who thinks that Bulma, maybe didn't die, but something else happened to her? Because if you look carefully Black aimed his blast at Trunks not Bulma, or did she turn black and vaporized by the explosion?

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:45 am

Oh, man...That was...messed up in SO many more ways than one. Honestly, it was a bit heart-wrenching for me to see, personally. IMO, the one thing that probably would have truly made me shed a tear from that scene would have been a quick flashback montage of ALL of Bulma and Goku's moments together from the beginning of the franchise (including moments where he wasn't around, such as Bulma and the rest of the gang wishing to Porunga to wish everyone back to life following Goku's battle with Frieza.) to his death via his Heart Virus.