Should Chozetsu Dynamic stay as the OP for the whole run?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Should Chozetsu Dynamic stay as the OP for the whole run?

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:50 pm

For the purposes of this thread let's just assume Super will continue to be produced indefinitely.

Do you think the series should keep the same opening song for its entire run, like with the first Dragon Ball anime and GT? Do you think it should eventually change the song (and entire animation sequence) like Z did when it went from Head Cha-la to WE GOTTA POWER? If so, after around how many episodes do you think the change should occur?

Personally, I love it when anime do new openings with new songs and entirely new animation sequences specific to whatever story arc the series is on at the time. It's a bit late to go all the way with something like that for Super now that it's starting its fourth arc, but I'd still really like it if they could pull off something like the One Piece anime does where there's a completely new opening approximately every 50-60 episodes. I think that strikes a pretty good balance between being significant and memorable and also keeping things somewhat fresh.

What would everyone else prefer?

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Should Chozetsu Dynamic stay as the OP for the whole run

Post by Cetra » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:51 pm

I like it by now so I guess it is fine to stay for the rest of the series. However I like an English fan version I have listened to on youtube even more.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Cetra wrote:I like it by now so I guess it is fine to stay for the rest of the series. However I like an English fan version I have listened to on youtube even more.
I've heard that one too if we are thinking of the same one. Only thing that bothers me is some of the lyrics are a really loose translation it .

OP Question: Yes..I actually think it fits the series really well.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:54 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Cetra wrote:I like it by now so I guess it is fine to stay for the rest of the series. However I like an English fan version I have listened to on youtube even more.
I've heard that one too if we are thinking of the same one. Only thing that bothers me is some of the lyrics are a really loose translation it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tZ-OFZ2G8Q

I do not care so much about lyrics when it comes to music.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm personally not a fan of its OP. It didn't even catch my interest when it played during the Goku vs Hit fight.

Should it change? Yeah, sure. But I wouldn't mind if it didn't. Will it change? No. Most likely not.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Cetra wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tZ-OFZ2G8Q

I do not care so much about lyrics when it comes to music.
Yeah same one. I like it too.

I like lyrics and I think his are fine as they are, but some of the actual translations I've read are just a bit more epic. Granted they would be hard to sing in English.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:09 pm

I want new openings. Very bored of the current one at this point.

Unfortunately, I don't see them changing it. Not until we reach over a hundred episodes at a guess, or until Super is in a better place production-wise.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:16 pm

As much as I really like Chozetsu Dynamic, I would really would like to see a new OP to mix things up.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I really think the opening should change, especially if they want to go ahead with the change of atmosphere in the Trunks' arc. It's odd how basic elements like recap and next episode bgms changed, but the opening song remained the same.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Neon Z wrote:I really think the opening should change, especially if they want to go ahead with the change of atmosphere in the Trunks' arc. It's odd how basic elements like recap and next episode bgms changed, but the opening song remained the same.
I think it depends how long Super goes. I don't see it going on longer than 125 at the most. If it does go that long I'd be okay with 2-3 changes but I really hope they choose a good song.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:52 pm

My ideal scenario is both the opening song and animation changing every 25/26 episodes, or with every arc.
Last edited by Avok on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:02 pm

I kind of miss the days when anime had just one or two OP for the entire run. I think its makes the songs more iconic and tied to the series. When we get a new song every 12 episodes like modern seasonal shows, they all seem exchangeable and discardable. It doesn't help that they are just not as hot blooded anymore. I want more You wa Shocks and Pegasus Fantasies.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:23 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:I kind of miss the days when anime had just one or two OP for the entire run. I think its makes the songs more iconic and tied to the series. When we get a new song every 12 episodes like modern seasonal shows, they all seem exchangeable and discardable. It doesn't help that they are just not as hot blooded anymore. I want more You wa Shocks and Pegasus Fantasies.
Are you familiar with Toriko? The anime overall wasn't a great adaptation (the abrupt non-canon ending being especially bad), but it took a pretty old-school approach to its OPs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHsuor8YuYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OqMBeMsu6Q

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I like the song but different openings will really make each arc feel special just like the endings.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:05 pm

I really hope they change it. The vocalist is too... boring. Maybe when Season 2 rolls around, they will. I hope...
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:25 am

Theophrastus wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:I kind of miss the days when anime had just one or two OP for the entire run. I think its makes the songs more iconic and tied to the series. When we get a new song every 12 episodes like modern seasonal shows, they all seem exchangeable and discardable. It doesn't help that they are just not as hot blooded anymore. I want more You wa Shocks and Pegasus Fantasies.
Are you familiar with Toriko? The anime overall wasn't a great adaptation (the abrupt non-canon ending being especially bad), but it took a pretty old-school approach to its OPs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHsuor8YuYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OqMBeMsu6Q
I'm up to date with the manga via shonen jump, I've only seen a few episodes of the show. I like it but it's been going way too fast since Area 7. The op's have a unique flavor but they're not quite classic tier.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:08 am

I like the opening, but I could definitely go for a new one right about now. One thing that irks me is not the song itself, but the opening animation with Goku, Vegeta and Gohan fighting some nameless Freeza soldiers. They could replace that with more relevant stuff like the gang fighting Goku Black or literally anything else over what it currently is.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:26 am

I'd really like a new OP, but I get the feeling now it isn't changing unless it goes past the end of Z.
Ajay wrote:I want new openings. Very bored of the current one at this point.

Unfortunately, I don't see them changing it. Not until we reach over a hundred episodes at a guess, or until Super is in a better place production-wise.
Yeah, this is another thing. It seems like Super is in a much better place now than it ever has been but it remains to be seen how much better the production actually is. As of right now it seems to me like the main thing it needs now is some more talented animators and hopefully the seemingly improved schedule will result in more talented people popping in more often. Until Super has a sizable stable of talented animators (which hopefully won't take too long now, assuming the schedule is better like it seems) it might not be a good idea to do a new OP, unless of course they just had people not currently working on the show do it, or outsource it to a studio like Wanpak.

But I'm just stickin with my theory that we will be stuck with this OP until we go past the end of Z, which will hopefully be after this arc or the next.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:47 am

I'd like to say no. When a major skip happens (such as moving beyond the end of Z pls ), they should change the opening theme. But I've noticed with some long-running anime that when a song they've used since the beginning finally changes, it's the final arc. It happened in DBZ's Buu arc, for example, when we switched from Chala Head-Chala to We Gotta Power. So my first thought when hearing non-Chouzetsu Dynamic would be "Super is coming to an end". Therefore, I have mixed feelings about it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Alruneia wrote:I'd like to say no. When a major skip happens (such as moving beyond the end of Z pls ), they should change the opening theme. But I've noticed with some long-running anime that when a song they've used since the beginning finally changes, it's the final arc. It happened in DBZ's Buu arc, for example, when we switched from Chala Head-Chala to We Gotta Power. So my first thought when hearing non-Chouzetsu Dynamic would be "Super is coming to an end". Therefore, I have mixed feelings about it.
That makes me think we should have another series after Super and EOZ. I actually wouldn't mind, especially if it's a GT remake, but that would never happen so I'm fine with what we have. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune