Toriyama+Toyble - the change in style in the Goku Black arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Toriyama+Toyble - the change in style in the Goku Black arc

Post by jpranevich » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:10 pm

I've been thinking about this, but it feels to me that there is something "behind the scenes" going on with the plotting of the latest arc. Consider this:

Toriyama builds excellent characters and sequences, but doesn't stitch them together for the long haul. He gets good ideas and somehow makes diamonds out of writing himself into a corner or meeting editorial demands. We love Dragonball, but not because it has any long-term plotting or really because there is much call-back to previous arcs; it's always fun in the moment.

Toyble on the other hand is us, if we were smarter, more creative, and could draw. Looking over his AF manga and Hero Mission, he knows Dragonball inside and out. He loves in-jokes and references to other Toriyama works. The level of detail, the call-backs, the side-story with the Buu arc-- NONE of those strike me as particularly Toriyama's style. The overall idea of the arc does seem to be his style, but these flourishes, the return of Kaioshins, the potaras, cell's timemachine... all those must have come from the mind of someone more immersed in the Dragonball universe than Toriyama.

So, what do you think? Am I smoking something? Or does this Goku Black arc not seem like something we've never quite seen before from the pen of Akira Toriyama on his own?

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Toriyama+Toyble - the change in style in the Goku Black

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Well we already know TOEI actually writes this stuff using Toriyama's guidelines in some capacity, and Toyble prob has some level of creativity with his manga version. Regardless to what extent we do not know.

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Of course, Toyble is doing the manga. And yet... I can't help but think he is contributing some DNA in to the anime as well. Just a feeling. We've been through three Toei arcs that didn't have this "fanon" flavor.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:38 pm

Toriyama is definitely letting Toyotaro contribute his ideas to this arc, so what you say is not that farfetched.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:16 am

Hit!! wrote:Toriyama is definitely letting Toyotaro contribute his ideas to this arc, so what you say is not that farfetched.
In the interview that got released, Toyotaro seemed to think it'd be too much for him and that he shouldn't, though.