Why isn't Android 18 or Videl getting any attention?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Why isn't Android 18 or Videl getting any attention?

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:11 am

Android 18 is considered a fan favorite, and probably voted as one of the hottest DBZ females, yet she hardly makes Cameo appearances. She played a key role in the Android/Cell saga's and was heavily focused upon. Even in the Buu saga, she had some importance. To this day, I fail to see why Android 18 never played a part in RoF as a leading female warrior to fight the henchmen. It was the perfectly opportunity to display her talent and skills. We don't even get footage of her with Krillin, making amusing jokes and gags. (Super has displayed a few, I know. But they don't last long.) I feel as though they've left her out, and I doubt we'll be seeing her in the Black arc too. With Trunks back, surely Toei can ignite a flame here by fitting her in somewhere. I'm curious to see whatever interactions they'd have now since she's married to Krillin and has a daughter.

I feel the same way with Videl. She was pretty much involved In the Buu saga straight up till the end and had really entertaining and tense moments along the way. It would be lovely if they were brought back into the story to raise that extra tension if they were threatened. Mai has replaced them D:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Why isn't Android 18 or Videl getting any attention?

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:39 pm

I don't really mind on #18's part. She got ruined after the Androids Saga IMO (and I haven't even seen the Majin Saga!).

As for Videl, I'm glad she went with long hair finally, but I do wish she'd get back into martial arts. I see no reason to not when Gohan isn't.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Anyone think it would have been amazing in F to see 18 and Krillin fight together? That would have been sick. Also have her defeat Shisami there and save Krillin. It'd be an awesome and cute thing to see the two on screen fighting, and protecting one another. Better than 18 staying in the kitchen and being baby mom.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Konig
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konig » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I don't really mind on #18's part. She got ruined after the Androids Saga IMO (and I haven't even seen the Majin Saga!).

As for Videl, I'm glad she went with long hair finally, but I do wish she'd get back into martial arts. I see no reason to not when Gohan isn't.
Why would she? She has a daughter to raise (even if Gohan is not training), and her martial arts skills are pretty much useless at this point (more than they were back then). The only use she would have is getting killed to create some form of tension.

18, on the other hand, has much more potential to have some role in future arc, since she is still stronger than most characters in the series.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Konig wrote:Why would she? She has a daughter to raise (even if Gohan is not training), and her martial arts skills are pretty much useless at this point (more than they were back then). The only use she would have is getting killed to create some form of tension.
She can train and leave Gohan to raise Pan just like Goku leaves Chi-Chi to raise Goten. If there's no problem with Goku, there shouldn't be with Videl. But I don't want this to turn into a parenting thread... :?
MyAnimeList | AniList

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:07 pm

18 is only stronger than a basic Super Saiyan, which is pretty weak by the standards of the series today.

Kind of sad a character once stronger than a Super Saiyan as well as Vegeta now comes across as irrelevant and weak. The power increases in the series have gotten ridiculous.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:10 pm

Anime Kitten wrote: She can train and leave Gohan to raise Pan just like Goku leaves Chi-Chi to raise Goten. If there's no problem with Goku, there shouldn't be with Videl. But I don't want this to turn into a parenting thread... :?
But that's not who Videl is. Her and Gohan aren't like Goku to where they wanna fight all the time. They mainly do it to protect their loved ones. Even with Videl's hard exterior that's she's shown in the past, she wouldn't just abandon her daughter to fight. Pan is her and Gohan's first priority. She wouldn't just dump Pan on Gohan like that. Whereas, Goku literally left Goten managing a tractor to go train. I'm not trying to start a parenting thread like you stated earlier. I'm just pointing out that Videl wouldn't do something like that.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Regardless, I'd much rather see Videl over #18. Like I said, she got ruined in my opinion after the Androids Saga ended. Too boring and uninteresting now. :problem:
MyAnimeList | AniList

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:02 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Anyone think it would have been amazing in F to see 18 and Krillin fight together? That would have been sick. Also have her defeat Shisami there and save Krillin. It'd be an awesome and cute thing to see the two on screen fighting, and protecting one another. Better than 18 staying in the kitchen and being baby mom.
So take away the only things that made gohan useful in ROF? No thanks. Shisami should stay as gohan's win (why would 18 help piccolo?), but you're right about her saving krillin.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:17 pm

kinisking wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Anyone think it would have been amazing in F to see 18 and Krillin fight together? That would have been sick. Also have her defeat Shisami there and save Krillin. It'd be an awesome and cute thing to see the two on screen fighting, and protecting one another. Better than 18 staying in the kitchen and being baby mom.
So take away the only things that made gohan useful in ROF? No thanks. Shisami should stay as gohan's win (why would 18 help piccolo?), but you're right about her saving krillin.
Well no I never said have F play out completely the same. Have Tagoma take his similar role with Ginyu shitting on it, and that can be where Gohan get's his moment. Give Shisami to 18.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:21 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Well no I never said have F play out completely the same. Have Tagoma take his similar role with Ginyu shitting on it, and that can be where Gohan get's his moment. Give Shisami to 18.
In that case, I still disagree. I feel like piccolo should get the chance to have shisami in that case since he is stronger. If we're changing it this much I really think freeza should have had a new ginyu squad. Gohan gets the ginyu equivalent. Krillin and 18 get the jeice and burter equivalent. Piccolo gets the recoome equivalent. Tien gets the guldo.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:43 pm

kinisking wrote:Well no I never said have F play out completely the same. Have Tagoma take his similar role with Ginyu shitting on it, and that can be where Gohan get's his moment. Give Shisami to 18.
In that case, I still disagree. I feel like piccolo should get the chance to have shisami in that case since he is stronger. If we're changing it this much I really think freeza should have had a new ginyu squad. Gohan gets the ginyu equivalent. Krillin and 18 get the jeice and burter equivalent. Piccolo gets the recoome equivalent. Tien gets the guldo.[/quote]

There is a shit ton I'd rewrite from F. I'm just saying from the limited stuff we were offered, I'm probably take 18 over Piccolo, because she has more to gain. Piccolo beating up some guy, isn't going to mean shit for him. For 18 and Krillin, it'll expand and show us their love for each other. It'll give us a bigger more defining moment that's more memorable than just Piccolo beats up a guy. Yeah of course he can cause Piccolo is cool n shit. But to see 18 beat up Shisami like a badass, and save Krillin. That'd be a way bigger moment in comparison.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:13 pm

I'd love to see more of both of them, especially 18. Bulma has been featured way too heavily in Super compared to the other females. It's time to give them the spotlight for once.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Android 18 and Videl can't transform, aren't "Gods" and aren't interested in fighting.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:21 pm

Many reasons

* Not part of main cast (either fight or comic relief)
* Females
* Not Gods
* Are parents
* Not interested in fighting
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm not sure what purpose Videl or 18 would serve in the current story line. They are both severely too weak to be any kind of impact in a battle, and are uninteresting characters to boot.

Unless they used them as comic relief ala the Pilaf Gang, they really have no place.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 pm

As much as I would like for Videl to do something other than anime housewife 101, giving her spotlight would be pointless unless you're willing to have a bunch of pissed off fans who obsess over power levels. She was already INSANELY outclassed by the main cast at the time she was introduced (even Muten Roshi and Chi-Chi can casually take her out with a bitch-slap).

#18, on the other hand, I can see having some spotlight seeing as Toriyama claimed she and #17 can get stronger... though the problem with that is #18 doesn't really care about fighting.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Because Japan.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Mr. NaruJesus

Post by Mr. NaruJesus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:28 am

Anime Kitten wrote:I don't really mind on #18's part. She got ruined after the Androids Saga IMO (and I haven't even seen the Majin Saga!).

2 most bad ### women in the series got shafted once they had kids. I hate it. I love both of them.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:01 pm

Nobody cares about them thats why. I don't think they even have a fanbase.

- Travis