Dragon Ball Super International News & Speculation (Read First Post)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super International News & Speculation

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
sangofe wrote:Well, Eric Legrand, voice actor for french Vegeta, confirmed with me that he's dubbed both the fights against Frost and Cabba. So the french dub's progressing rapidly!
That's interesting, do you know when the French dub started production by any chance?
Eric Legrand originally posted back in late May about dubbing starting in a few days, so I would say around June.
That is rapid. It makes me wonder how the Funimation dub is progressing, although all we have to go off so far is Jason Douglas' Instagram post so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:03 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
That's interesting, do you know when the French dub started production by any chance?
Eric Legrand originally posted back in late May about dubbing starting in a few days, so I would say around June.
That is rapid. It makes me wonder how the Funimation dub is progressing, although all we have to go off so far is Jason Douglas' Instagram post so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Well, this is a bit off topic, but back in the DBZ days, they'd do five episodes a day.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:21 pm

LatAm dub has been confirmed but we don't know when they are going to start, it seems the cast who participated on Kai 2.0 will be the cast for Super. There isn't any date yet, also Kai hasn't been aired either, so maybe we'll have to wait a year or so for its release.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:31 pm

sangofe wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Well, this is a bit off topic, but back in the DBZ days, they'd do five episodes a day.
It was a totally different time.
Retired.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:01 am

How far is the Hebrew dub now? If not mistaken we should be hearing the Hebrew dub of Usubeni next week.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:22 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:How far is the Hebrew dub now? If not mistaken we should be hearing the Hebrew dub of Usubeni next week.
Think they are up to the point where Freeza has been revived.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:How far is the Hebrew dub now? If not mistaken we should be hearing the Hebrew dub of Usubeni next week.
And ot seens they're using terrible speedsubs as their base for dubbing.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:17 pm

They are on episode 17. I believe Usubeni will debut next Thursday (episode 26)

Kor

Post by Kor » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
And ot seens they're using terrible speedsubs as their base for dubbing.
That's probably not true, though, and I find it unfortunate people are spreading this notion around as if it's a fact.

So far the Hebrew dub is pretty decent and overall fairly accurate (my frame of reference for accuracy is DT's subs, mind you). At worst there's a bit of a hiccup every once in a while.

And yes, I know about that dub line from ep 5. I'm the one who told Puto about it in the first place. So, I transcribed some lines from the dubbed ep and compared it to the speedsubs the mistranslation came from, just to be sure. (if the English translation of the Hebrew dub lines is a bit awkward, sorry. It's a transliteration):

1) animerg: I knew you were going to say that. Don't you know how to greet someone? Idiot!. Dub: You're not a child anymore, and you should know how to greet a person like a human being! Idiot!
2) animerg: I have lived a long life... but no one has ever made a unique request like that before... Dub: I live for hundreds of millions of years and no one has made such a request before.
3) animerg: Beerus is really fast and really strong! You will have trouble fighting him! He is the strongest in the universe! You know you cannot beat him, then what are you fighting him for? Dub: Beerus is on a different level than anyone you've ever faced before. He is the strongest in the universe. You know you can't beat him so why do you want to fight? He's strong enough to blow from his nose and send you to the other side of the universe.
4) animerg: so, I'll first show you how strong I can get. Dub: First I'll show you how strong I can be. My current form doesn't respect the god of destruction.
5) And finally, the dimensions line. animerg: It is said a super saiyan 2 punch is so strong that it can take you to another dimension. Dub: Super saiyan (level) 2 can launch you to another dimension. It's truly incredible, I'm nowhere near his level.

It's pretty much impossible that the Hebrew dub used those speedsubs as a base because the dub lines say relatively different things and contain details and lines the speedsubs didn't translate (and besides the dimensions line, the Hebrew dub seems to have gotten most of the lines above translated more or less correctly as far as I recall from the good subs).
And even the mistranslated line ends up being different from the speedsubs. (It was pointed out to me the Hebrew dub line is pretty weird. The first half is a mistranslation while the second half is a properly translated version of the same line.).
So basically I don't think the Hebrew dub translates from speedsubs or any fansubs for that matter. How did it end up with a very similar mistranslated line about dimensions then? Who knows, could have been an unfortunate coincidence.

I went the extra mile and contacted the Hebrew dub studio to ask a simple question - whether they are translating straight from Japanese to Hebrew, or if they received a script in English and they are translating to Hebrew from there. Their answer was the latter, so maybe someone at Toei just screwed up that one line.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:43 am

So, it seems that Toei is bringing Dragon Ball Super to MIPCOM and the poster says that it'll release internationally in 2017. I guess with the toys and now this, we can assume that Super will probably be airing in English next year.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:51 pm

We shouldn't assume an English Dub from Funimation unless we here more. This could refer to Europe, the Pacific, or even East Asia.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:42 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:So, it seems that Toei is bringing Dragon Ball Super to MIPCOM and the poster says that it'll release internationally in 2017. I guess with the toys and now this, we can assume that Super will probably be airing in English next year.
Yup 90% convinced now. Let's look at the evidence:
. Douglas Leak, that Sabat tried his best to cover up.
. (This one I might be reading too much) Schemmel I don't think has flat out said they don't have Super but he's said he can't disclose release dates.
. Toyline announced no one announces a toyline for a show that won't air concurrently
. Mexico have already begun working on Super and they use FUNi's scripts apparently hence why a particular user was upset when it was found out the Latin America dub used Destructo Disc in Buu Kai.
. Finally The MIPCOM poster as you pointed out.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:06 pm

I was that user! And I dont think we have DBSuper. And you missed that Eduardo Garza said "#DBZKai" in the same post.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:50 am

Toei Europe today announced they have signed a deal with the Turner network to air Super in various territories:
Toei Animation Europe has secured a range of broadcast deals on behalf of Dragon Ball Super, the long-awaited follow-up series to the global anime phenomenon. Beginning between the Fall 2016 and Winter 2017, Dragon Ball Super will air in France on TURNER’s new kids network, Toonami; in Italy on Italia 1 and Italia 2; in Spain on Boing; and in English-speaking Africa on Cartoon Network.
The series has already launched this September in Israel on Nickelodeon and in Portugal on SIC.

Source:

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1731

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:38 am

Toonami, eh? Hope they'll have an uncut block!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:39 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Toei Europe today announced they have signed a deal with the Turner network to air Super in various territories:
Toei Animation Europe has secured a range of broadcast deals on behalf of Dragon Ball Super, the long-awaited follow-up series to the global anime phenomenon. Beginning between the Fall 2016 and Winter 2017, Dragon Ball Super will air in France on TURNER’s new kids network, Toonami; in Italy on Italia 1 and Italia 2; in Spain on Boing; and in English-speaking Africa on Cartoon Network.
The series has already launched this September in Israel on Nickelodeon and in Portugal on SIC.

Source:

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1731
and in English-speaking Africa on Cartoon Network.
This surely implies an English dub correct? Toonami Asia one isn't happening so that leaves FUNi's one..?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:16 pm

sangofe wrote:Toonami, eh? Hope they'll have an uncut block!
There's not much content in Super that really needs to be edited out to even begin with.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
There's not much content in Super that really needs to be edited out to even begin with.
The only thing they could cut is the swear words. :lol: But I remember Super using more swears words like shit than before. (Unless they are just bad subs)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
I dunno man Rosé Black is too beautiful they may need to censor him... :P

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I dunno man Rosé Black is too beautiful they may need to censor him... :P
So they'll pixelate his face hair or put a giant censor bar over his pink hair? :lol: