How old is Future Trunks?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:55 am

Do we have an official age for the character?
I am pretty sure that I read a line about 17 years after Cell so is Future Trunks over 30?
Personally I thought that he was 35 or something. However, if this is true then he is almost at Goku's and Vegeta's age.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7782
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:07 am

I can't recall, if they have actually established how long(I'm assuming the Shenlong summoning was just filler) after the Resurrection F arc the Champa Arc and subsequently the Future Trunks Arc take place, but it's at least Age 779 going by the official Toei and Shueisha sites IIRC, which would put the time Trunks came from at at least 796, since he travels back 17 years into the main timeline.

Since Trunks was born in Age 766 and he spent upwards of 2 years in the RoSaT, he is biologically 32 years old, but only 30 years has passed in his timeline, since he was born.

Goku was officially born in Age 737 and so at least 42 years has passed since his birth in the main timeline. Goku's biological age is however a bit different, due to the year(actually ~20 months) he spent in RoSaT and the 7 years he spent in the afterlife not aging, so he's really about 36 years old, only ~4 years older than Future Trunks biologically.

Vegeta on top of being 5 years older than Goku officially(b. Age 732) spent 2 years in the RoSaT and barely spent 3 days dead, so he's biologically pushing 50!

I'm sure some people will have it as head-canon, that Bra was conceived on Vegeta's 50 year birthday :P

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:15 am

Omg so Goku and Trunks are almost the same age and Veggie is a pretty old XD

Thank you

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7782
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:39 am

I made a typo, Goku spent 10 months not 20 in the RoSaT. Everything else is on point.
And you're welcome.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:49 am

Goku was dead for like 8 years in total right? And he has spent around 4 years training in the RoSaT, 1 month when he was a child, 10 months with Gohan, and 3 years with Vegeta. So isn't Goku like 38 now biologically and Vegeta 52?

soduh2
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 am

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by soduh2 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:02 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:Goku was dead for like 8 years in total right? And he has spent around 4 years training in the RoSaT, 1 month when he was a child, 10 months with Gohan, and 3 years with Vegeta. So isn't Goku like 38 now biologically and Vegeta 52?
Goku's age is part of the reason why I don't like the Dragon Ball Online ending for his story. If saiyans don't start to age until they are 80, he technically has 14 or so years of being in his prime after Vegeta. When you consider Whis has offered the god of destruction position to him in the past, there might be more to the saiyan lifespan than meets the eye.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7782
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 am

Ah, I completely forgot the one year death in the Saiyan arc and the 3 years of RoSaT trained in Super!
Good some body corrected me on that :thumbup:

User avatar
Marco Polo
I Live Here
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: France

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:18 am

soduh2 wrote:
Darkblade1995 wrote:Goku was dead for like 8 years in total right? And he has spent around 4 years training in the RoSaT, 1 month when he was a child, 10 months with Gohan, and 3 years with Vegeta. So isn't Goku like 38 now biologically and Vegeta 52?
Goku's age is part of the reason why I don't like the Dragon Ball Online ending for his story. If saiyans don't start to age until they are 80, he technically has 14 or so years of being in his prime after Vegeta. When you consider Whis has offered the god of destruction position to him in the past, there might be more to the saiyan lifespan than meets the eye.
I don't see how this is an issue. Vegeta started ageing, and Goku and he decided to have one final battle before Vegeta became fully past his prime. Goku having about an extra 14 years of prime is irrelevant since they both decided they would die in that one final battle.

soduh2
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 am

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by soduh2 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:39 am

Marco Polo wrote:
soduh2 wrote:
Darkblade1995 wrote:Goku was dead for like 8 years in total right? And he has spent around 4 years training in the RoSaT, 1 month when he was a child, 10 months with Gohan, and 3 years with Vegeta. So isn't Goku like 38 now biologically and Vegeta 52?
Goku's age is part of the reason why I don't like the Dragon Ball Online ending for his story. If saiyans don't start to age until they are 80, he technically has 14 or so years of being in his prime after Vegeta. When you consider Whis has offered the god of destruction position to him in the past, there might be more to the saiyan lifespan than meets the eye.
I don't see how this is an issue. Vegeta started ageing, and Goku and he decided to have one final battle before Vegeta became fully past his prime. Goku having about an extra 14 years of prime is irrelevant since they both decided they would die in that one final battle.
I don't see Goku deciding to die. It's possible for him to die inadvertently, but he has reason to live after Vegeta reaches the end of his prime. With Beerus and Whis being so "unreachable" in strength (thus giving Goku a goal) and the other Universes, why would Goku decide to die for one battle against Vegeta?

GT had a better ending for Goku imo.

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 am

I don't think "dying for no reason with the dragon" is a better ending.
The ending in GT is literally the worse they could give us.

Case 1: He became shenron????? (for no reason) and now he can't die.
Case 2: He spent all his power/life energy to block Omega's blast so in the end the dragon took him to the land of the dead (which isn't a big deal since even if you are dead you can still communicate with others). However, that theory would contradict him saying goodbye to Piccolo. Maybe is a "Vegeta-like" thing. When Vegeta wasted all his power in the explosion his body turned to stone and broke, making look like he literally gave everything he got.
Case 3: Beerus (if we consider Super) commanded the dragon to send Goku to another realm to heal his lifeless body, which would connect the story with Toyble's manga and make Goku unable to go back to earth because if he returned without the light from the saiyans his existence would vanish.
Case 4: Nothing just pretty images.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6355
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:18 am

Trunks was born in AGE 766, and now his timeline is in AGE 797, that makes him being 31 years old.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11377
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:20 am

Future Trunks: AGE 766 - AGE 797
Assuming our timeline assumptions are correct, he'd be 31. But because he spent 2 years in the RoSaT, ~33 biologically.

Son Goku: AGE 737 - AGE 780
Again with the timeline preface, Goku would be 43. He's been dead for 8 years, but also spent a month in the RoSaT as a kid, most of a year in there as an adult, and then 3 recently with Vegeta in Super. So, ~39 biologically.

Vegeta: AGE 732 - AGE 780
Timeline stuff. He would be 48 since he hasn't spent much time dead, but he has spent 5 years in the RoSaT, so he's biologically ~53.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6355
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:30 am

Pretty sure RoSaT doesn't count, Gohan is said to be 16 years old (turning 17) in Buu saga, if it did count, he would be 17 (turning 18).

soduh2
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 am

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by soduh2 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:32 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:I don't think "dying for no reason with the dragon" is a better ending.
The ending in GT is literally the worse they could give us.
I don't think Goku "choosing death" is in character. Goku "disappearing" under vague uncontrollable circumstances is more transcendental, which matches who he is. It also, potentially, allows for more focus on other characters without Goku's character assassination in the process.

Of course this is my opinion.

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:32 am

Goku is 39.....damn....I wish he was younger......Well at least the line "you should act your age" makes more sense when he is almost at his 40s and they make him react like kid Goku from db

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11377
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:35 am

Grimlock wrote:Pretty sure RoSaT doesn't count, Gohan is said to be 16 years old (turning 17) in Buu saga, if it did count, he would be 17 (turning 18).
You try explaining to your teachers and classmates that you're a year older than medical records show because you went inside a room at God's place.

Seriously though, the characters may not pay it any mind, but that doesn't mean it doesn't count for discussions.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21051
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:38 am

Future Trunks is just in is early thirties? He's aged quite well. I mean, I know he has the genes of a Saiyan in him so his biological clock ticks slower, but still, he looks as young and as handsome as he did when he left the original timeline after the Cell Games.

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:55 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Future Trunks is just in is early thirties? He's aged quite well. I mean, I know he has the genes of a Saiyan in him so his biological clock ticks slower, but still, he looks as young and as handsome as he did when he left the original timeline after the Cell Games.
Goku looks like the end of the Cell games and he is 39 :lol:
Of course Trunks would look like he is in his 20s.
I founded weird how in the end of the manga that punk called Vegeta an old man when the guy didn't even look at his 40s.
Still Japan has an issue with the "old man" joke. We have seen 17-20 year old people been called old.
Heck I watched a new series named Relife and the mc was 27 and people considered him old. 27 and old.......Jesus that's inaccurate

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by kinisking » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Future Trunks is just in is early thirties? He's aged quite well. I mean, I know he has the genes of a Saiyan in him so his biological clock ticks slower, but still, he looks as young and as handsome as he did when he left the original timeline after the Cell Games.
That's only because they ret conned his look when he killed cell which imo made him look more handsome albeit older.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Marco Polo
I Live Here
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: France

Re: How old is Future Trunks?

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Trunks looked like Vegeta with different hair when he killed Future Cell (which was a full three years after he went back to his timeline after the present Cell games).

Image

Post Reply