Theories On the Origin of Black

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blackstripe
Regular

Theories On the Origin of Black

Post by Blackstripe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:16 am

So, after watching episode 53, I don't believe Zamasu is Gokuu Black.

Rather, I believe he created Black. In fact, I'm almost certain of it. Why? Because during the episode, Gowasu is very heavy handed in explaining how Kaioshin create, rather than destroy. He really tries to impress this on Zamasu as being quintessential to his role as a Kaioshin. Nevertheless, we see him at the end being very bitter towards Gokuu for embarrassing him, despite merely being a "Ningen" (in this context, meaning mortal rather than human).

While he's stirring Gowasu's coffee, we can see a distortion within it, a black discoloration.

Kaioshin do not destroy, they create. Nothing says, however, that they cannot create something that destroys independently of them. It's an interesting loophole.

I believe Zamasu imbued some of his ki in Black, thus their similarity, and instilled him with his hatred of mortals. Whether this was his intention or an accident brought on by his anger/resentment remains to be seen.

Also, depending on how silly Akira Toriyama wants to be, he may actually be Gowasu's coffee given life. Because the old man likes his coffee Black... *rimshot*

thepigmonkey

Re: Theory: Zamasu created Black

Post by thepigmonkey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:38 am

I also suspected that the gowasu, what he was mastermind behind of all this chaos I saw when gowasu opened the box containing the ring time, gowasu began to panic when whis and beerus asked, he quickly changed the subject and zamasu to fight with goku.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:51 am

Blackstripe wrote:So, after watching episode 53, I don't believe Zamasu is Gokuu Black.

Rather, I believe he created Black. In fact, I'm almost certain of it. Why? Because during the episode, Gowasu is very heavy handed in explaining how Kaioshin create, rather than destroy. He really tries to impress this on Zamasu as being quintessential to his role as a Kaioshin. Nevertheless, we see him at the end being very bitter towards Gokuu for embarrassing him, despite merely being a "Ningen" (in this context, meaning mortal rather than human).

While he's stirring Gowasu's coffee, we can see a distortion within it, a black discoloration.

Kaioshin do not destroy, they create. Nothing says, however, that they cannot create something that destroys independently of them. It's an interesting loophole.

I believe Zamasu imbued some of his ki in Black, thus their similarity, and instilled him with his hatred of mortals. Whether this was his intention or an accident brought on by his anger/resentment remains to be seen.

Also, depending on how silly Akira Toriyama wants to be, he may actually be Gowasu's coffee given life. Because the old man likes his coffee Black... *rimshot*
Interesting theory. I kind of like the idea of a Kaioshin creating something that destroys.

The one problem I have with the general theory of Zamasu actually being Black is that Black seems to become stronger from fights and Zamasu wasn't even hinted to possibly be doing this. Not to say he couldn't but it was never even teased.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:40 pm

This is actually a really good theory. Haven't really thought about that one before! But now i'm convinced it may actually turn out to be true. You made some valid points.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:43 pm

Well, Zumasu is jealous of overpowered mortals, and Gowasu was shocked to see someone still alive after fighting a god, very fishy indeed.

however, Zumasu's thoughts (narrated) contradicted the talk he had with Gowasu, just before he stirs the cup of tea (or coffee?)...may be that he's on for a plan, secretly from Gowasu. As i said on the episode thread, looked a lot like spilling poison.

And btw, we saw 5 rings (1 + 4 ), if Zumasu somehow takes the hub one and controls 4 rings, that would mean Black has 3 more allies.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:53 pm

This is basically my theory as well.

Black is a weapon created in the image of what Zamasu fears/hates, Goku. He is a weapon to insure kaioshin dominance over the universe.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:15 pm

I have a feeling that Zamasu will kill Gowasu and stole the last ring

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:I have a feeling that Zamasu will kill Gowasu and stole the last ring
That's the feeling I get too.

Gowasu and Black even have the same earrings-- wondering if that's any indication of something.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:53 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:I have a feeling that Zamasu will kill Gowasu and stole the last ring
If he does then I'll be calling him Palpatine from now on. He did the same to his mentor, the killing part.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:05 pm

If Zamasu had a hand in creating Black, or is Black himself, why did he come to universe 7 to stir up trouble? By the way, what does he mean by "humans"? If he really had a problem with earh's humans, he should have a problem with every creature that we've ever seen in the Dragon Ball universe. What, he doesn't have a problem with Frieza's race? This is very confusing stuff.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Shinomori wrote:If Zamasu had a hand in creating Black, or is Black himself, why did he come to universe 7 to stir up trouble? By the way, what does he mean by "humans"? If he really had a problem with earh's humans, he should have a problem with every creature that we've ever seen in the Dragon Ball universe. What, he doesn't have a problem with Frieza's race? This is very confusing stuff.
It doesn't mean Earth Humans it basically means sentient intelligent non-god beings within context.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:38 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shinomori wrote:If Zamasu had a hand in creating Black, or is Black himself, why did he come to universe 7 to stir up trouble? By the way, what does he mean by "humans"? If he really had a problem with earh's humans, he should have a problem with every creature that we've ever seen in the Dragon Ball universe. What, he doesn't have a problem with Frieza's race? This is very confusing stuff.
It doesn't mean Earth Humans it basically means sentient intelligent non-god beings within context.
That being the case, I would hope his reasoning for being mad with such beings be made clearer. For instance if he's mad at intelligent creatures because they destroy each other or he sees corruption within them, he will have to be mad with every creature in the universe or universes in our case.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:27 pm

Instead of Zamasu killling Gowasu, how about Gowasu is killed by a mortal, which pushes Zamasu to create Black. I mean, Zamasu has respect for Gowasu and listens to him, so it'd be pretty weird if he goes so far as to kill him himself.

marcbret87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by marcbret87 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:26 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:Instead of Zamasu killling Gowasu, how about Gowasu is killed by a mortal, which pushes Zamasu to create Black. I mean, Zamasu has respect for Gowasu and listens to him, so it'd be pretty weird if he goes so far as to kill him himself.
Well, he does seem to listen but only as far as he is his mentor and doesn't want to openly contradict him. He clearly disagrees with him regarding mortals and, to me, the setup in the end of the episode points more towards him killing his master than anything else.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:15 pm

Very confusing.

Mistranslated, as it seems, every subtitle from Black, Zamasu and Gowasu where it says "human", is supposed to be "mortals".

Something about the universes is contradictory to the initial information we got about them. Universe 6 and 7 were said to be very identical, making one conclude that Earth exists only on these two universes (maybe that's just me). If Earth exists on Universe 10, then we are dealing with parallel universes here, 12 (18) of them. If that is the case, current Future Trunks should logically belong to the Universe 10 reality?

Then again, if the potential case with Earth being only in U6 and U7, wtf are they up to from U10 messing around on U7.

Also, Vados said that Earth in U6 was destroyed by internal wars, maybe that's Black's work (or just a parody of our actual reality).

I dont know what I'm talking about anymore, time is so confusing, and i aint got any.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Personally I don't understand why Gods can travel between timelines if Gods exist in other timelines. Personally I would have found it more interesting of the alternate timelines somehow became "Godless Worlds" so to speak. In this idea I would have had Zamasu create Black to bring order to the Godless Universe of mortals he despises.

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Prior to Zamasu's introduction, I speculated that Zamasu created Black in an attempt to give the universe its savior back, but things went horribly wrong. More recent material obviously debunks this though, with Zamasu's disdain for mortals.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Adding speculations to this theory...

What we know is that THIS Zamasu now have some concern about mortals.
But: the time rings are all here. He seems in control, so far.

In the future, Zamasu will "fall from grace". This is even in the opening, when you see Zamasu actually "falling".

What's strange is that Black is in the ALTERNATE FUTURE, not this one.
There's no reason for fallen Zamasu to travel in an alternate future, when he want to destroy humans here and now.
This complicate things.

Anyway, let's continue.
I have many reason to think Zamasu spirit is inside the earring worn by Black.
That earring grant him the power to absorb strenght and skill of those he fight/touch.
This is hinted after the Goku battle.

This could lead to a theory.
In the near future, Zamasu will fail his training. We got hinted that Zamasu, to pass his test, need to be calm and tranquil, the exact opposite of what he really think.
Gowasu get aware of this, and forbid him to become Kaioshin, unleashing his rage (this is his own falling). Zamasu is on a rampage, but loose, and his aggressive spirit put in the earring.
This spirit is not even "sentient", but only a kinda generic evilness, generated by the hate of Zamasu for mortals (like the Ring of Sauron).
Someone got this earring. That guy, controlled by the earring evil, steal the Time Ring to go touch Goku and get his potential a little before he die (being Goku, so far, the more powerfull fighter to date).
There's only one moment in the continuity when Goku is out of defences: when ill for the heart virus in the alternate future!

The evil earring take this chance to "replicate" Goku body.
Then, Goku die

(so, it's not a case of body snatch, but duplication).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:06 pm

Now the two of them are starting to appear as if they don't know each other to me. Something just feels off about this whole thing. It's either going to be elaborate or just plain obvious that I'm missing it.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:23 am

Pluto wrote:
Very confusing.

Mistranslated, as it seems, every subtitle from Black, Zamasu and Gowasu where it says "human", is supposed to be "mortals".
No, it is not mistranslated. Toriyama just uses the term ningen/human in Dragon Ball differently, than what people would in other series and in the real world, if we ever encountered aliens.

Basically in Dragon Ball, "human" can refer to Earthlings, but not exclusively, as the likes of Ginyu calls himself a human too and so does the Kaioshin in regards to the Saiyans. So it would seem that every humanoid species in the universe, who are not gods can just be referred to as humans, drawing a line between humans and gods.
This is why for the casual viewer, it's easier to just have them be called "mortals" instead of humans, as that gets the point across better, but human(s) is the proper translation.