Goku's role/usage in Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku's role/usage in Dragon Ball Super

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:28 pm

sintzu wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:Was Goku that dumb since the beginning of Super? I have a feeling his retardness has increased with the episodes.
He was sort of dumb but with each passing episode it gets worst. At least that's how I see it, and he's getting more and more childish as well.
It's a shame Masako Nozawa is stuck with this writing cause she'd probably be able to blow her previous work out of the water if she had a good script to work with.

A legendary character and his legendary voice actress both completely dragged through the mud thanks to Toei and Toriyama's incompetence and to make things worse, this might be the last time she voices him due to her age.
I feel the same way. I wish Masako Nozawa was able to voice the Dragon Ball Super manga version of Goku because right now that is the only version of Super that is doing Goku justice. Also, not just Goku has been acting out of character, but the entire Son family has been exaggerated to the point where they all just feel out of character now. Say what you want about GT but at least that series treated Gohan with some respect as oppose to what Super is doing with him.

I do believe that because the manga is behind the anime, the writers of Super think they can just make Goku act how they see fit, which for some reason is a Luffy 2.0 just because of how popular One Piece is.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:47 pm

Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:Say what you want about GT but at least that series treated Gohan with some respect as oppose to what Super is doing with him.
GT's writing had its problems but the way established characters were written wasn't one of them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:Say what you want about GT but at least that series treated Gohan with some respect as oppose to what Super is doing with him.
GT's writing had its problems but the way established characters were written wasn't one of them.
Agreed, everyone their still felt in character from where they left off. But to get back on topic, is the reason why Goku acts so childish now than how he was in Z because of today's generation of kids in Japan who watch anime love that type of character? for example Natsu and Luffy. Or is it just Toei and Toriyama just trying to pull a GT and reduce Goku's character to how he was in Dragon Ball?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:I do believe that because the manga is behind the anime, the writers of Super think they can just make Goku act how they see fit, which for some reason is a Luffy 2.0 just because of how popular One Piece is.
Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:But to get back on topic, is the reason why Goku acts so childish now than how he was in Z because of today's generation of kids in Japan who watch anime love that type of character? for example Natsu and Luffy. Or is it just Toei and Toriyama just trying to pull a GT and reduce Goku's character to how he was in Dragon Ball?
There is nothing to suggest that logic of reasoning at all. The several different writers Super has will always have different preferences for how they may want to handle a character but it has nothing to do with influence of other anime. Dragon Ball is already a monster of franchise in it's own right and doesn't need to carbon copy character tropes from other character in other shonen anime just because of what types of trends in shonen anime may seem the most popular the current young generation.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm

omaro34 wrote:Goku not knowing that Monaka is a wimp goes to show how naive and gullible he's become. Granted he's always been unintelligent outside fighting, but Super takes it to a whole new level of immaturity and the last episode of Super highlights that the most.
The worst for me was him not being able to tell the difference between Vegeta and Copy Vegeta until the real Vegeta screamed at him

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Goku not knowing that Monaka is a wimp goes to show how naive and gullible he's become. Granted he's always been unintelligent outside fighting, but Super takes it to a whole new level of immaturity and the last episode of Super highlights that the most.
The worst for me was him not being able to tell the difference between Vegeta and Copy Vegeta until the real Vegeta screamed at him
It's official... I fucking hate hate HATE Toei Animation. :evil:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:12 pm

In this latest episode, we fully see why the creators of Super decided to dumb down Goku's character. It created an interesting dynamic with how he and Zeno interacted with one another, adding to the amusement of everyone else being on edge. I gotta say I really enjoyed that scene, though I would gladly pass that up to have the old Goku back. The old Goku inspired confidence, this guy in Super is just an idiot.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

There's a TON of talk concerning Son not being serious enough in Super...

Post by z_cherub » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:41 pm

How many fans that DID NOT WATCH THE FUNI DUB (with borderline Superman-complex Goku) & watched it subbed prior to US release (or perhaps only read the manga) actually feel this way?

As someone who saw DB/Z subbed prior to a US release, I feel like Toei plays up Goku's light-heartedness a bit too often, but little to none of it is actually out of character by itself. Just my $.02.

Discuss :)

Doctor.
Banned

Re: There's a TON of talk concerning Son not being serious enough in Super...

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:29 pm

Goku is serious when he needs to be, like when he snapped at Beerus for not valuing human life and then when he got mad at Freeza for attacking his friends and joking about Piccolo's death.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:Goku is serious when he needs to be, like when he snapped at Beerus for not valuing human life and then when he got mad at Freeza for attacking his friends and joking about Piccolo's death.
Thanks. Mind posting whether you're a manga only person, a sub only person, or a dub fan that just holds this opinion anyway?

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:27 pm

As someone who originally watched the Funi Dub of Z and later preferred Funi's Kai and the sub, I believe Goku does seem more kid-like in Super only because he wasn't put into a that many serious situations but of course fans (Tends to be the Z/Kai Funi dubbies) still exaggerate his childishess.
Last edited by Helios518 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:28 pm

With the exception of Dragon Ball Kai, I primarily experience the original version for both the manga and anime. Yes, I also experienced the Japanese version of the anime first. Son Goku consistently gets serious when the situation calls for it, while also still feeling a mixture of excitement and fear against some of his opponents. In Battle of Gods, he is portrayed as excited when the plot begins, fearful when necessary for his companions, disappointed with Super Saiyan God, and happily satisfied but upset when Beerus tells him there are others like him and stronger and that he'll destroy the planet for his loss. Resurrection F has Goku act his lighthearted self, but he gets serious once he hears Freeza has been revived. After accounting for his companions, he challenges Freeza to a duel, no less serious, but excited to see Freeza's progress. He's just as serious when he defeats Freeza and asks him to leave to return stronger and is right unto business once he's aware that Freeza cannot be reformed. Champa's tournament was a competition. Even though he was easygoing, he still became stern when he was done with Frost and wanted to force Hit to battle at his best. Finally, with Goku Black, he battles to feel him out before deeming it necessary to get serious once he demands that Goku Black battle at full power because his presence makes him feel uncomfortable. The adrenaline is still there when he picks up where Vegeta left off, with the intent to defeat Goku Black at once, transforming into his best from.

The range of emotion detailed above is pretty consistent of his actions in the original series. He's had moments of rage mixed in with personal motivation. He's had moments of silliness while also fighting for his dear life, in both canon and in filler works. He's shown himself capable of being nervous while still wanting his opponent to be at their best. He'll shed his selfishness right before it's too late, but he's never regretful unless his actions have mixed somebody else into his affairs. He'll clearly be superior to his opponent while also making them show all that they're capable of. When the reverse happens, he does nothing but smile and wish that he trained harder, hopeful that he'll eventually surpass them. I wouldn't mistake that as carelessness over his fallen comrades as he also makes sure to give them their proper hits all throughout the series and currently with Vegeta's defeat. Overall, he's an oddly pure fellow, but the character I'm viewing is Son Goku. I can admit some nuances of his are slightly exaggerated by some of the writers, but the core concept of his actions are him, no doubt.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:36 pm

z_cherub wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Goku is serious when he needs to be, like when he snapped at Beerus for not valuing human life and then when he got mad at Freeza for attacking his friends and joking about Piccolo's death.
Thanks. Mind posting whether you're a manga only person, a sub only person, or a dub fan that just holds this opinion anyway?
I've watched every version but I'm a manga purist.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:26 am

Nejishiki wrote: some nuances of his are slightly exaggerated by some of the writers, but the core concept of his actions are him, no doubt.
My thoughts exactly (just better articulated).

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
This didn't happen, he was just confused as to why there was "A weird purple Vegeta" and "A weird see through Vegeta."
Nejishiki wrote:With the exception of Dragon Ball Kai, I primarily experience the original version for both the manga and anime. Yes, I also experienced the Japanese version of the anime first. Son Goku consistently gets serious when the situation calls for it, while also still feeling a mixture of excitement and fear against some of his opponents. In Battle of Gods, he is portrayed as excited when the plot begins, fearful when necessary for his companions, disappointed with Super Saiyan God, and happily satisfied but upset when Beerus tells him there are others like him and stronger and that he'll destroy the planet for his loss. Resurrection F has Goku act his lighthearted self, but he gets serious once he hears Freeza has been revived. After accounting for his companions, he challenges Freeza to a duel, no less serious, but excited to see Freeza's progress. He's just as serious when he defeats Freeza and asks him to leave to return stronger and is right unto business once he's aware that Freeza cannot be reformed. Champa's tournament was a competition. Even though he was easygoing, he still became stern when he was done with Frost and wanted to force Hit to battle at his best. Finally, with Goku Black, he battles to feel him out before deeming it necessary to get serious once he demands that Goku Black battle at full power because his presence makes him feel uncomfortable. The adrenaline is still there when he picks up where Vegeta left off, with the intent to defeat Goku Black at once, transforming into his best from.

The range of emotion detailed above is pretty consistent of his actions in the original series. He's had moments of rage mixed in with personal motivation. He's had moments of silliness while also fighting for his dear life, in both canon and in filler works. He's shown himself capable of being nervous while still wanting his opponent to be at their best. He'll shed his selfishness right before it's too late, but he's never regretful unless his actions have mixed somebody else into his affairs. He'll clearly be superior to his opponent while also making them show all that they're capable of. When the reverse happens, he does nothing but smile and wish that he trained harder, hopeful that he'll eventually surpass them. I wouldn't mistake that as carelessness over his fallen comrades as he also makes sure to give them their proper hits all throughout the series and currently with Vegeta's defeat. Overall, he's an oddly pure fellow, but the character I'm viewing is Son Goku. I can admit some nuances of his are slightly exaggerated by some of the writers, but the core concept of his actions are him, no doubt.
I think this is a pretty great post. They absolutely exaggerate his goofiness for laughs, but he's still Goku and still gets just as serious as always.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 am

z_cherub wrote:How many fans that DID NOT WATCH THE FUNI DUB & watched it subbed prior to US release actually feel this way ?
I do, I watched Z and DB in Japanese first and Goku at certain points was my favorite character but in Super I don't even like him that much due to how bad he's been written.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:18 am

I think people here are over exaggerating, he was fine for most of Super. It surely got very bad with that one Monaka episode and in episode 53, and it was stupid to let him fell of the time machine, but I can't remember moments of excessive childish Goku in the U6 arc and the retellings of the movies. Maybe I just am short on memory, if someone can remind me childish Goku moments before Monaka filler episode
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 pm

z_cherub wrote:How many fans that DID NOT WATCH THE FUNI DUB (with borderline Superman-complex Goku) & watched it subbed prior to US release (or perhaps only read the manga) actually feel this way?
I grew up with the Latin American dub. I've read the manga too, and I absolutely hate Super's Goku.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Avok wrote:
z_cherub wrote:How many fans that DID NOT WATCH THE FUNI DUB (with borderline Superman-complex Goku) & watched it subbed prior to US release (or perhaps only read the manga) actually feel this way?
I grew up with the Latin American dub. I've read the manga too, and I absolutely hate Super's Goku.
Cool. Fairly even split so far... Are you partial to the LA dub or the manga? How much did that dub alter Goku's personality?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:45 pm

z_cherub wrote: Cool. Fairly even split so far... Are you partial to the LA dub or the manga? How much did that dub alter Goku's personality?
It didn't alter it at all. It's very accurate to the source.