Why does this anime ignore the SSJG ritual?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Why does this anime ignore the SSJG ritual?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:47 pm

After the first arc, they completely dropped the ritual and the form. Mind you, I've always hated both, but how can you create such an important element to the story and then just ignore it? Vegeta trained his way to SSJB. Gohan never bothered to obtain it. The kids never bothered.

But what bothers me the most is this new arc. There are 6 SSJs present, excluding Pan. So... why isn't anybody bringing it up to help Trunks?! If this arc ends without Trunks obtaining either god form... well, I wouldn't be surprised, actually...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Why does this anime ignore the SSJG ritual?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:49 pm

My headcanon states that Super Saiyan Gods can't participate in the ritual. It's the only way to make sense out of this stupidity.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:02 pm

The SSJG ritual is absolutely redundant now that you can apparently train to obtain Godly Ki and become SSJB tier in strength. Mind you, Freeza reached SSJB tier with four months of not-so-special training. How was he able to pull off such a feat? Because he needed to be the main antagonist for the Resurrection F plot. Characters in Dragon Ball are as strong as the plot needs to them to be.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:10 pm

I would be against giving goten and kid trunks that much power. They're already more powerful than they have any right to be. I feel they need a couple more levels in maturity before godhood, Although I can't see Goku and Vegeta using that logic, so I guess they don't use the ritual just because it's not the prideful thing to do. . Gohan wouldn't have even wanted it to begin with.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:15 pm

There is no evidence that doing the ritual allows the user to maintain the power long term. Beerus seemed genuinely surprised Goku was able to maintain/absorb God-Ki when his time "ran out".

It appears that not only do you need to do the ritual but you also need to at least on some level have your body accept/regulate the ki itself. Just my two cents and how I've always seen it.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:21 pm

Don't forget Goku only got SSJG permanently due to being a prodigy. It isn't certain that any of the other Saiyans would get it. There's also the wanting part, two are little kids who only play fight and the other, like has been shown recently, lacks any interest in being a martial artist.

Regarding talking to Trunks about it, did you see the preview for the next episode? It seems to me that this question will be answered in a few days.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:27 pm

I understand that it's implied Goku is really special for inheriting the god power after becoming a SSJG, but nobody's even bothered to try it. Really, how do we know Goku's all that special when nobody's ever become a SSJG before, besides some pansy in the past who got mopped by giant monkeys?

Gohan could have asked to obtain it after watching Piccolo die. Best excuse to get stronger without having to slack off on his... whatever he does in his spare time.

And I get a gut feeling nobody is going to mention it to F. Trunks. And if F. Trunks becomes a SSJB by just training with Vegeta, then that just cheapens everything infinitely more. What was the point of this ritual and form if that's the case?!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:33 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:What was the point of this ritual and form if that's the case?!
A quick way to market new stuff. Quicker than SSJ was in Z. Kids grow faster, nowadays.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:40 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I understand that it's implied Goku is really special for inheriting the god power after becoming a SSJG, but nobody's even bothered to try it. Really, how do we know Goku's all that special when nobody's ever become a SSJG before, besides some pansy in the past who got mopped by giant monkeys?

Gohan could have asked to obtain it after watching Piccolo die. Best excuse to get stronger without having to slack off on his... whatever he does in his spare time.

And I get a gut feeling nobody is going to mention it to F. Trunks. And if F. Trunks becomes a SSJB by just training with Vegeta, then that just cheapens everything infinitely more. What was the point of this ritual and form if that's the case?!
Well it was implied in DBZ that Trunks had the potential to be much stronger than Vegeta. He was even scared to embarrass Vegeta by fighting Cell...saying he was able to push the limits Vegeta couldn't.

I actually think if any character were to obtain the power Trunks would make the most sense. Others will say Gohan but I think it also takes a fighters spirit/will that Gohan doesn't possess.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:20 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I understand that it's implied Goku is really special for inheriting the god power after becoming a SSJG, but nobody's even bothered to try it. Really, how do we know Goku's all that special when nobody's ever become a SSJG before, besides some pansy in the past who got mopped by giant monkeys?

We know because like you said, the story implied it. It would be incredibly useless to have an episode where everybody is SSJG for whatever the time limit is and fails to absorb it. It would just waste time and a generate threads like "Why did Gohan and the others did the ritual, just to fail?".

In BoG, they tell us. The ritual is a hail Mary, Goku absorbing it is another hail Mary. The series can't spoon feed every little info. Do people want Vegeta to randomly start explaining why he never got SSJ3?

I for one am glad the ritual has been shoved aside, very much like the zenkais. The ritual is the single most cheap power up in Dragon Ball, that says a lot. I very much prefer the way Vegeta got it. If Future Trunks gets it, let it be by training in a reasonable amount of time or offer a sensible shortcut.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:37 pm

LightBing wrote:I for one am glad the ritual has been shoved aside, very much like the zenkais. The ritual is the single most cheap power up in Dragon Ball, that says a lot. I very much prefer the way Vegeta got it. If Future Trunks gets it, let it be by training in a reasonable amount of time or offer a sensible shortcut.
I'm gonna disagree. Vegeta absolutely ruined the concept for me entirely. Made the level of God not feel so otherworldly or special anymore.

I do however agree that honestly, we might learn next week just how it all works. So we might get our answers there about the ritual, and training.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
LightBing wrote:I for one am glad the ritual has been shoved aside, very much like the zenkais. The ritual is the single most cheap power up in Dragon Ball, that says a lot. I very much prefer the way Vegeta got it. If Future Trunks gets it, let it be by training in a reasonable amount of time or offer a sensible shortcut.
I'm gonna disagree. Vegeta absolutely ruined the concept for me entirely. Made the level of God not feel so otherworldly or special anymore.

I do however agree that honestly, we might learn next week just how it all works. So we might get our answers there about the ritual, and training.
In Dragon Ball nothing is special. It's like for us in real life, being able to fly in a plane is common. About one hundred years ago people would tear their hair off at the that.

We see this in Dragon Ball. In the Android Arc, three years training and they were still weaker than the Androids. They had to lose to even imagine going beyond SSJ. After that, in a much shorter amount of time they got immensely stronger. This happens a few times in the manga, the previous ceiling is shattered.

Vegeta saw this new plateau, which they couldn't even imagine before. Got himself the guy who trains Hakaishin's for a living and did what they always do in Dragon Ball.
For me it's about preferring the Goten and Trunks way - getting SSJ without any work -, or the Goku, Vegeta and Gohan way.

Had Vegeta wandered into the woods and came out as a God, sure it would cheapen the whole deal. The way it went down is fine. Although if you say that what we were shown of the training is vague and underwhelming, I will agree.

How Mr.Toriyama is respecting Beerus status, so long into Super is a huge improvement. Contrary to most of Dragon Ball.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:26 am

LightBing wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

In Dragon Ball nothing is special. It's like for us in real life, being able to fly in a plane is common. About one hundred years ago people would tear their hair off at the that.

We see this in Dragon Ball. In the Android Arc, three years training and they were still weaker than the Androids. They had to lose to even imagine going beyond SSJ. After that, in a much shorter amount of time they got immensely stronger. This happens a few times in the manga, the previous ceiling is shattered.

Vegeta saw this new plateau, which they couldn't even imagine before. Got himself the guy who trains Hakaishin's for a living and did what they always do in Dragon Ball.
For me it's about preferring the Goten and Trunks way - getting SSJ without any work -, or the Goku, Vegeta and Gohan way.

Had Vegeta wandered into the woods and came out as a God, sure it would cheapen the whole deal. The way it went down is fine. Although if you say that what we were shown of the training is vague and underwhelming, I will agree.

How Mr.Toriyama is respecting Beerus status, so long into Super is a huge improvement. Contrary to most of Dragon Ball.
I can see your point. But my personal beef is with how quickly the decided to disregard everything revolving around Super Saiyan God just for the convenience of making sure Vegeta kept up with Goku in the power hierarchy. I mean, even if there were plans, which I highly doubt that there were, for the Super Saiyan God transformation and everything associated with it to be essentially disregarded in future stories, Toei and/or Toriyama could have found a way to work around it to make it seem like it wasn't just a hastily made decision because of the mindset they most likely had of, "Vegeta need to be as strong as Goku as quick as possible".

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:15 am

My gripe with the SSJB form is that it seems to have nothing at all to do with the SSJG one, with Vegeta training to get it and implying Cabba can obtain it one day through training as well. So what the hell was the point of the latter? Why couldn't we just get SSJB from the start and call that SSJG?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:17 am

LightBing wrote:Don't forget Goku only got SSJG permanently due to being a prodigy. It isn't certain that any of the other Saiyans would get it. There's also the wanting part, two are little kids who only play fight and the other, like has been shown recently, lacks any interest in being a martial artist.

Regarding talking to Trunks about it, did you see the preview for the next episode? It seems to me that this question will be answered in a few days.
I never thought about it like that, good food for thought.

Also, I think Vegeta in this instance would have his pride refuse to tell Trunks about the ritual; not wanting somone of his own blood taking the easy way to Godhood.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:35 am

The ritual takes too long to do and requires 6 Saiyans to be always present so they dropped it in favor of the faster SsjB which can be used any time.

In terms of why they didn't do that from the start, I think they didn't plan on making anything after BOG so it was fine as a one time thing but not all the time cause that would get very repetitive.

Toriyama said in an interview the others could use the ritual so I think they're either not strong enough yet, Goku and Vegeta don't trust them with its power or they don't want it.

In Super Vegeta was completely against doing it for himself so I doubt he'll let Trunks do it so if he gets a new form it'll be Ssj3 or SsjB.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:43 am

Ritual seems a faster way of getting to SSG but if you aren't Goku then it's gonna run out and you'll be back to square one. By the time Trunks gets it and goes to the future it'll probably run out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:52 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ritual seems a faster way of getting to SSG but if you aren't Goku then it's gonna run out and you'll be back to square one.
I think Vegeta did the ritual and kept its power in the movie timeline cause they didn't mention him reaching it on his own and no one was surprised to see him use Blue.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
LightBing wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

I can see your point. But my personal beef is with how quickly the decided to disregard everything revolving around Super Saiyan God just for the convenience of making sure Vegeta kept up with Goku in the power hierarchy. I mean, even if there were plans, which I highly doubt that there were, for the Super Saiyan God transformation and everything associated with it to be essentially disregarded in future stories, Toei and/or Toriyama could have found a way to work around it to make it seem like it wasn't just a hastily made decision because of the mindset they most likely had of, "Vegeta need to be as strong as Goku as quick as possible".
I also find it very hard to believe how nothing in Dragon Ball is special, oh but Goku is very special and is potentially the only one who can do the ritual. The way they went about it just made SSJ God/Blue another transformation. That's it. It no longer means anything beyond it's another transformation. Instead of being this unworldy thing that only an ancient ritual can achieve, it's another transformation like everything else.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:02 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:My gripe with the SSJB form is that it seems to have nothing at all to do with the SSJG one, with Vegeta training to get it and implying Cabba can obtain it one day through training as well. So what the hell was the point of the latter? Why couldn't we just get SSJB from the start and call that SSJG?
More forms = more merchandise

I mean, why do you think the saiyans have been using their different forms pretty much at random? Need to sell those action figures.