Android 18 should have fought in the Tournament

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Android 18 should have fought in the Tournament

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:16 pm

She is still the strongest female fighter in the main DB universe. I don't think time has eroded her abilities, she could still put up a good fight.

Rather than cast Buu in the tournament and then remove him, I would have replaced Buu with 18.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Android 18 should have fought in the Tournament

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:22 pm

18 wouldn't have done any better than Piccolo if anything she would probably do even worse because Piccolo is slightly Stronger... hmmm 18 is probably immune to poison she is a cyborg :think:
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Sonicjamareiz wrote:18 wouldn't have done any better than Piccolo if anything she would probably do even worse because Piccolo is slightly Stronger... hmmm 18 is probably immune to poison she is a cyborg :think:
Definitely has less power than Piccolo. But Power isn't everything, as you've put here, so could have been noteworthy... poison vs Cyborg.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Why? Nothing in your post provides a justification for your view. Is it because she wouldn't receive the same faith as Boo? I doubt that, the story was set. Even if it did matter and Boo was the problem, #18 wouldn't make sense. Did she ever showed any interest in fighting, besides financial reasons?
How would you justify her inclusion? Forcibly changing the character personality doesn't offer any upside.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:17 pm

In a 5 fighters i don't think so, but She would be arround top 7. I can see this way:

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan (Now he isn't useful, but he still have power to be top 3)
Boo (He could be very useful, but toriyama didn't want him making anything...Boo could defeat Botamo and possible Frost)
Piccolo (Now he is way above A18)

Here in Top 6 I really don't know who is stronger between Trunks and A18 and Goten. In Budokai Kid Trunks was almost in same level...And when A18 was training with Kuririn, Trunks and Goten was training with Vegeta, Gohan and fighting each other...So I think Kid Trunks and Goten now is a little more stronger than A18.
So I put A18 in top 8.

BUT we are talking about tournament...Goten, Trunks and Gohan are Sayajins like Goku and Vegeta...A18 is an Android, so she would be more useful than another sayajin.

Then, I can put my top 5:

Goku
Vegeta
Boo
Piccolo
A18
Vados Sama!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Well, sure, she would be better than Buu not even fighting at all, and we've not seen her fighting since her fight with the runts so it would be nice to see her again, but since she's weaker than Piccolo, she would lose rather quickly and people would rage for different reasons. She could fight against Botamo and Cabba, I guess.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:22 pm

It would have been cool, but they would have lose anyways.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:20 pm

They also could have written an opposing fighter differently for her. Its not like the characters exist in reality and earned their place. If they wanted her there it could be written to work.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:20 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:They also could have written an opposing fighter differently for her. Its not like the characters exist in reality and earned their place. If they wanted her there it could be written to work.
That's the thing, with a tournament, they could always have had various bad guys who were comparable to Piccolo or 18, and have those characters easily beaten before bringing in characters you need Goku or Vegeta for. I think Toei assumes way too much that kids will start tuning out if Goku and Vegeta aren't doing everything.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:17 pm

LightBing wrote:#18 wouldn't make sense. Did she ever show any interest in fighting, besides financial reasons? How would you justify her inclusion?
Well, Beerus was willing to handsomely pay Monaka to participate in the Tournament.
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:33 pm

While I would've loved to have seen it (I would even have been behind a resurrected Freeza participating), the four they chose made sense given the number of slots they had and Gohan's inability to participate.

Ultimately the whole arc was focused around Goku and Vegeta either way, which is fine.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:44 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:
LightBing wrote:#18 wouldn't make sense. Did she ever show any interest in fighting, besides financial reasons? How would you justify her inclusion?
Well, Beerus was willing to handsomely pay Monaka to participate in the Tournament.
They know #18 is weak, she couldn't replace Monaka.
Altought it would be hilarious if Beerus lied and told us he trained her. I can imagine Goku's admiration, Kuririn telling Goku to chill and Vegeta suffering from post-traumatic stress, while having flashbacks of the Android Arc. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:19 pm

I doubt 18 would have done any better than Piccolo did. Piccolo was the much safe bet given he had more unusual extra abilities to back him up.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:29 pm

It is not all about winning or losing, but about participating. I don't mind if 18# lost, I think it would have been fun to see her fight. I like her no nonsense style. I think the point is that if Beerus paid Monaka to participate, if Vegeta/Goku argued she would be good for the team, Beerus could have paid her to participate. That in itself would be an amusing scene.

It would even be plausible, buu could have gone to sleep right before the tournament, gohan is at a conference, and she is the best option/last minute replacement. Beerus hands her a load of cash to pitch in. Then they wouldn't have needed to have this weird "goku lost but then was allowed back in!" plot point which I thought was weak.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:33 am

To be honest, I still wish Beerus would have resurrected Freeza without anyone's permission. Though that would've taken the arc in a different direction.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:30 am

Goten and Trunks are way stronger than Android #18, and both of them was rejected because they are not strong enough. Beerus didn't care who the two fighters will be. He payed Monaka lots of money because Monaka has to do a significant job, whereas there is really no point in him paying #18 since he only cared about his two trump cards who are way stronger than anyone in the team.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:00 am

Cipher wrote:To be honest, I still wish Beerus would have resurrected Freeza without anyone's permission. Though that would've taken the arc in a different direction.
In terms of power Freeza would be a nice member, but he is really crazy and he can't be resurrected again. Maybe bring Cell back and train him with Whis (but if Freeza training alone got a tier god level, Cell would reach Whis and Vados :lol: )
Vados Sama!

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:43 pm

LightBing wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:
LightBing wrote:Altough it would be hilarious if Beerus lied and told us he trained her. I can imagine Goku's admiration, Kuririn telling Goku to chill and Vegeta suffering from post-traumatic stress, while having flashbacks of the Android Arc. :lol:
I would have enjoyed seeing Vegeta flashback to getting his arm broken and Krillin asking a hyped Goku to calm down.
irreality wrote:It is not all about winning or losing, but about participating. I don't mind if 18# lost, I think it would have been fun to see her fight. I like her no nonsense style.

It would even be plausible; buu could have gone to sleep right before the tournament, and she is the best option/last minute replacement. Beerus hands her a load of cash to pitch in.
And then Chanpa pays her more money to back out, and Beerus raises the amount to keep her fighting, and the two keep raising the amount... LOL

Even if she couldn't have lasted long, she is a good choice both for a serious fight and a comic situation.

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:36 am

it certainly would have better than having a non participant like Buu.

I'd imagine she could beat Botamo and base Cabba, maybe even Frost if she just went straight for the win without letting him transform. in fact she'd beat Magetta too, because I'm almost sure she'd insult him at some point lol.

I didn't think there was any logical reason she would want to participate though, until Monaka's payment was brought up. it could have been written pretty easily that without a 5th fighter Beerus would be disqualified, so he desperately payed her to fight as the 5th fighter.

really, U6 was pretty damn weak besides Hit, considering a character from as far back as 18 could potentially sweep 4 fighters under sufficiently ideal circumstances.

although you also have to wonder, would she even be allowed to participate, given that her power is augmented by technology? Frost isn't allowed to use a needle so maybe a cyborg can't participate either.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 am

Androids 18 does NOT want to participate. Why would she have participated at all? You gonna force her? The only reason she participated in the Buu Saga tournament was for the prize money.