Goku Black/Zamasu best villains in Dragon Ball since _____?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Goku Black/Zamasu best villains in Dragon Ball since _____?

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 am

I never liked Cell & Boo as villains their motiv was boring and as villains uninteresting...Black Goku/Zamasu are evil but at the same time you can understand them

that humans has changed in a bad way and they want to clean up to make it a beautiful place again..

Bullza
Banned

Re: Black Goku/Zamasu best villains in Dragonball since Frieza??

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:05 am

Yeah I'd say so, I liked Cell and Buu (Cell more so), but Black and Zamasu have the whole mysterious angle playing for them which the series has never made much of.

Usually the villains are straightforward, they're evil from the get go and they just have to stop them. It's straightforward. With Black and Zamasu I've never seen so much speculation and questions asked about them, it makes them different and it makes them interesting.

Black in particular has been great. Since the series made its comeback in 2013 Beerus and Black are the best of the new characters.

They've never really had good characters turn bad I'm this series but here we have a Goku and a Supreme Kai who are evil.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:45 am

Not only are they the best since him but I think the have the potential to be even better.

The best thing about them (currently) is that they want to do good for the universe but they're using very extreme methods to do it so in a way they're more misguided then they are evil.

With that in mind, will one or both of them recognize that and change sides ? If complete villains like Piccolo and Vegeta can change then I think someone who's good at heart can as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:58 am

I'd wait until the arcs over to make that call. I personally liked Vegeta, Zarbon, Dr. Gero, Android 15, Dabura, and Majin Vegeta.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:22 am

TheMikado wrote:I'd wait until the arcs over to make that call.
Agreed. I think it's borderline irresponsible to make these sorts of calls and assessments so early on. There are still too many unanswered questions and motivations at this point. While I'm certainly enjoying it, there's always the potential for the ball to dropped in a major way. Beyond that, you also really need to give this stuff the benefit of time before making those calls. It's important to, while still of course enjoying what you're enjoying, separate yourself from the hype and be able to view things critically and with a sense of context and time.

Is it good stuff? Sure, I certainly think so! I just don't know enough about who these characters are yet, though, to be able to say if they're the "best" villains since ________. With each episode we learn more, so I urge people to keep waiting it out!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:33 pm

"Rejoice, Son Goku. You have reached the height of beauty at my hand"

"They have no capacity to understand the dignity of my speech"

"Nor my desires, nor my beauty!"
- so yes, this is the best villain so far.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Nah, I think Cell and Buu are better so far, because of how they ran through the entire cast, not to mention their humor. Zamasu and Black are certainly the villains whose ideologies are a bit more forefront and philosophical, but that doesn't make them better yet. Zamasu comes across as hypocritical to me, what good is him being a god/Kaioshin if all mortals are dead? More needs to be explained before I form an opinion about them being the best.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I just don't know enough about who these characters are yet, though, to be able to say if they're the "best" villains since ________.
Which is why we modify the question to say "best villains thus far" since X.

Personally, I rank them this way:
4. Zamasu (thus far)
3. Black Goku (thus far)
2. Frieza
1. Garlic Jr. (anime arc)
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Although it is subjective to think what villain is better, I would say *best since Cell and you can argue Cell was or is a better villain than Frieza.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Cell is still the best for me. A being from the future with the combined powers of all of Earth's protectors, and his perfect form was both arrogant yet polite at the same time. A very interesting character. Frieza has been re-used and expanded upon 3 times (first time killed by Goku, second time killed by Trunks, third time golden form by Goku), and his brother Cooler and King Cold... Buu also exists somewhat still as Mr Satans friend... Cell is the only character that only appeared exactly once (barring the times they escaped from Hell)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Hard to tell yet. I liked Cell and Baby.
I'm kinda afraid how the ending of this arc may be disappointing, so I will wait until there.

But they are great villains. The writing of Zamasu's character has been flawless.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 pm

One reason I liked Buu is he was just pure evil, and insane killing machine that went through multiple forms. Sure if you include Fat Buu and Super Buu he has various levels of intellect, but overall Buu was just fun.

Sometimes just having a pure evil character who kills without reason or conscience can be just as entertaining as a complex character.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:05 pm

Freeza has always been the best villain story arc to me, but flat out as a villain Cell really rivals Freeza to me. Either way I can say aside from Vegeta/Cell/Freeza so far they are at the top in my book. They may break that top three or they may not. I have more interest in Black than Zamasu as I think it may be one of those weird times when the subordinate (Black, in my eyes anyway) is actually physically more powerful than the master (Zamasu).
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:05 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:1. Garlic Jr. (anime arc)
I'm curious as to why

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Not yet. We will know once the Arc is over like others have already pointed out. Too early to tell.

Freeza was a great, and complex villain. I think many of you are setting the bar a little high. The Arc is great so far, but that doesn't mean things can't change very quickly.

Patience is a virtue, my friends.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:18 pm

What's really interesting about Super to me is that Toriyama is forced to plan his arcs all at once. He's probably not thinking way ahead like Oda, but his writing process is apparently no longer done on a weekly basis. We had Black introduced at the end of episode 47, and 10 episodes later we still don't know much about him.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:28 pm

What made Frieza great was an adult Goku and the SuperSayan transformation, something so... important to become a cultural meme. It's not about Frieza.
Cell was interesting for Trunks, Gohan and other cast taking part to battles. Not about Cell.
Majin Buu was not interesting, if not again for the other side actions (fusions, Satan, SSJ3, Gohan). Not about Buu.

Black, and Zamasu to a certain degree, are more interesting than the good cast fighting them. No one here is asking how Goku can defeat them: we're guessing what they will do again XD.
Also, finally you can "pretend" to be a villain. It's not hard to immedesimate into Black, and maybe Zamasu, like once people immedesimate into Vegeta.

I think we can rate them already: they are a very different kind of villains, despite what they actually do (that's really predictable from the start: destroy things).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:30 pm

I tend to be really hash on Super, but Black is pretty good so far. Zamasu... I need to see more about him.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:33 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:What made Frieza great was an adult Goku and the SuperSayan transformation, something so... important to become a cultural meme. It's not about Frieza.
Cell was interesting for Trunks, Gohan and other cast taking part to battles. Not about Cell.
Majin Buu was not interesting, if not again for the other side actions (fusions, Satan, SSJ3, Gohan). Not about Buu.

Black, and Zamasu to a certain degree, are more interesting than the good cast fighting them. No one here is asking how Goku can defeat them: we're guessing what they will do again XD.
Also, finally you can "pretend" to be a villain. It's not hard to immedesimate into Black, and maybe Zamasu, like once people immedesimate into Vegeta.

I think we can rate them already: they are a very different kind of villains, despite what they actually do (that's really predictable from the start: destroy things).
I found Cell interesting as a villain personally. He didn't have a backstory but he also didn't need one and we knew why. There was an intense burning inside wondering how strong Perfect Cell would be the first time I saw him. He actually had quite a bit of personality IMO.

A lot of people seem to be speculating Fusion in order to defeat Black but we will see. I don't know if I'd like or hate that.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Freeza saga = best build up, to fight the main villain. (Freeza scared me a little bit)

Cell saga= best fight scenes

Buu= no words

Trunks saga (black)= so far best story and this saga gives me chills. Black is way better than Zamasu imo.