What is your opinion on the "Black is Goten" theory?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

What is your opinion on the "Black is Goten" theory?

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Like it, hate it? Believe in it, don't believe in it? What would be your reaction if it came to be true and how do you think such a reveal would impact the series and the characters in this arc?

I have no opinion on it yet, besides thinking it probably isn't true and, if it was, it'd give Goten some much needed relevancy.

404FILENOTFOUND
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What is your opinion on the "Black is Goten" theory?

Post by 404FILENOTFOUND » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:27 pm

They'll believe its Goten but I say let the chips fall and it could be Bardock.

Its a possibility but I doubt its Goten, Zamasu probably told Black to take form of the mortal who pushed him a bit wee hard

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:30 pm

The way Black talks about his body, and the way he reacts after fighting Son Goku, it seems to be pretty clear that his body once belonged to Son Goku.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:31 pm

I posted this when I first saw him as a joke. Then I noticed people seriously discussing it on Youtube. Lol.

It would be a nice twist though.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Least plausible Black theory to recieve any serious discussion.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Cipher wrote:Least plausible Black theory to recieve any serious discussion.
Black is Goku's long-lost second brother, who had been spying on Goku from afar, and took his name out of jealousy. Neither Bardock or Raditz ever mentioned him because of reasons.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Cipher wrote:Least plausible Black theory to recieve any serious discussion.
Black is Goku's long-lost second brother, who had been spying on Goku from afar, and took his name out of jealousy. Neither Bardock or Raditz ever mentioned him because of reasons.
I thought Goku's long-lost brother was Vegeta though

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Why is he calling himself Son Goku and hates Saiyans tough?
It's like many of those Snoke theories, people grasping on straws as they don't have more concrete indicators.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:12 pm

I have no reason to believe it's true, but I hope it is just for the lols. Goten's reason for becoming blacks need to be extremely bad as well.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:17 pm

He at the very least has Goku's body. I don't know why some people still think he's Goten since Black clearly states it is Goku's body and Zamasu clearly is connected to Goku (in a bad way, but still).

When we had no clue of who Black was going to be, it was silly but it was anyone's guess. Now it's just used as joke.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:20 pm

If they had written it in a compelling way from the start I'd have loved it. Now I can't think of a single way it could make sense/tie in properly.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:20 pm

FlpShimizu wrote:He at the very least has Goku's body. I don't know why some people still think he's Goten since Black clearly states it is Goku's body and Zamasu clearly is connected to Goku (in a bad way, but still).

When we had no clue of who Black was going to be, it was silly but it was anyone's guess. Now it's just used as joke.
It's obviously Goten in Goku's body.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 pm

I wish it was, but know it isn't.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:52 pm

If I take your mind away from your body and put it into another one, and I remove all your memories from that mind, twisting your thoughts and beliefs, and fake all of your senses...
Well, c'mon, you're just another guy, that's all XD.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:00 pm

Black himself made it pretty obvious by subtle words that it is in fact "Goku's" body. Trunks even says that Black refers to himself as "Son Goku".

Besides, in Trunks' timeline, Goten was not conceived yet. It is fair to say that Goten was conceived sometime after the Androids appeared, and before the start of the Cell games. Goku dies before the Androids appeared, it just doesn't fit.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:20 pm

I have a theory that it's Goten's body and the spirit residing in him was conjured by Zamasu. Maybe Black is a demon from the demon realm summoned under the command of Zamasu? I don't think it's Goku's body simply for the fact Goten has been completely absent from this arc and just like Trunks has a star moment in this arc, I think Goten will be involved too. I'm thinking that Potara on Black allows Zamasu to keep control of him, I'm looking for it to be removed and Black turning on Zamasu and killing him (When Zamasu falls in the opening) Or a demon could reside in the ear ring and take control of who ever it's equipped to? Black is obviously his own person! I think Black will turn on Zamasu when Goku removes his ear ring in a attempt to fuse with Vegeta.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 pm

I think it could be interesting. It'd be a fairly dark twist, since it'd reveal that Goten was born in the future timeline, but soon taken by Zamasu and then raised into a villain by him. It'd contradict some material that mentions Goten was conceived just before the Cell games, but it wouldn't even be the same timeline anyway. However, there's just not enough actual evidence pointing to it. It seems to be entirely based on two elements, both which have big flaws:

-Goku Black has 3 hair spikes on the "back" side of his head in front shots, while Goku in Super has 4 and Goten has 3. The main issue there though is that it seems to be based on Yamamuro's designs. Toriyama still drew Goku with 3 hair spikes as recently as Battle of Gods. In the Super manga, Goku also has only 3 hair spikes too. His design in the beginning of Z, even in the anime, also only had 3 hair spikes.

-Goten has been added to the new title card in spite of being completely irrelevant so far. Super's marketing material often doesn't really match the actual story content though, like Gohan receiving some focus in the BoGs version of the opening, only to have less screentime than in the movie.

Some of the apparent plotholes with the theory could be explained:
-The references to mastering Goku's power and such could just come from him being Goku's son, and so it being an indirect reference to the power he inherited from him.
-The references to "this body" could just be about him having become an official god somehow, and so not just a half-Saiyan anymore. We know that it's possible since Whis offered to train Goku or Vegeta for the God of Destruction position.

Giving Black the identity of an existing character would also make the mystery behind his appearance be much more justified than just making him some kind of construct or clone. Personally, I'd like the twist and it'd make the conflict very personal, but I just don't see them taking this route.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:09 am

Like other have said, if it was set up properly it would have been pretty awesome. It's a great way to give Goten relevance. Especially since we could see how it would affect Present Trunks and Goten, knowing that in another timeline they're enemies.Hell, it would have been interesting to see what Goku would do if his son wasn't a good guy. It wouldn't be as good if they tried it this late,though. I think it's a missed opportunity, but this mortal hating Kai is a good storyline too. They could have built a palpatine-vader relationship between Blackten and Zamasu, with ningen hating embded into Goten's mind through teaching, but that plot works best if it's just Zamasu imo.

Oh well, we can only imagine.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:29 am

Garbage.

Not just "oh it's bad", it's literally coming from NOWHERE and has no reason to even be a theory.

That's how I feel about it.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 am

Black was clutching his heart when he travelled to the past and fought Goku, wasn't he? Seems to hint that it's Goku's body, in some form.