Don't want to start a power level debate, but from this image, are we to understand...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Don't want to start a power level debate, but from this image, are we to understand...

Post by z_cherub » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:56 pm

That SSJ2 can be trained to the point of being efficient enough to reach or nearly reach SSJ3 power output?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Has Goku trained his SSJ2 to this point given that [spoiler]Whis says that Trunk's SSJ2 has only a slight adventage over Goku's?[/spoiler]

Apologies if this has been brought up. I read chapter 15 today and haven't seen it brought up here.

Thx.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Don't want to start a power level debate, but from this image, are we to understand...

Post by TheMikado » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:59 pm

z_cherub wrote:That SSJ2 can be trained to the point of being efficient enough to reach or nearly reach SSJ3 power output?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Has Goku trained his SSJ2 to this point given that [spoiler]Whis says that Trunk's SSJ2 has only a slight adventage over Goku's?[/spoiler]

Apologies if this has been brought up. I read chapter 15 today and haven't seen it brought up here.

Thx.
Yes that's what that means

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Re: Don't want to start a power level debate, but from this image, are we to understand...

Post by z_cherub » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Okay, so we know that SSJ3 comes with extraordinary ki drain, & only a dead guy & a guy with an element of magic could attain it. Would this ultimately make SSJ2 practical/useful in place of SSJ3 due to similar power output & higher efficiency?

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:00 am

It means no one likes drawing all that hair all the time so they purposely made the form irrelevant.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:40 am

Goku's and Vegeta's base should be stronger than SS2 Trunks.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:34 am

Muffin Man wrote:It means no one likes drawing all that hair all the time so they purposely made the form irrelevant.
This person gets it.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:35 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Goku's and Vegeta's base should be stronger than SS2 Trunks.
...and yet it's not according to this manga chapter...

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:54 am

z_cherub wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Goku's and Vegeta's base should be stronger than SS2 Trunks.
...and yet it's not according to this manga chapter...
That's correct.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:08 pm

z_cherub wrote:Okay, so we know that SSJ3 comes with extraordinary ki drain, & only a dead guy & a guy with an element of magic could attain it. Would this ultimately make SSJ2 practical/useful in place of SSJ3 due to similar power output & higher efficiency?
It depends what you consider higher efficiency. Trunks spent years training his SSJ2 form to perfect it. Goku skipped that by attaining a form that, all things considered, is still more powerful and faster, if only ever so slightly.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:33 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
z_cherub wrote:Okay, so we know that SSJ3 comes with extraordinary ki drain, & only a dead guy & a guy with an element of magic could attain it. Would this ultimately make SSJ2 practical/useful in place of SSJ3 due to similar power output & higher efficiency?
It depends what you consider higher efficiency. Trunks spent years training his SSJ2 form to perfect it. Goku skipped that by attaining a form that, all things considered, is still more powerful and faster, if only ever so slightly.
Good point. I'm thinking of current status quo, not necessarily time to get there. Then there is the ki drain of SSJ3. Perhaps there really is something unnatural about SSJ3 & no living mortals can/should be able to perform it?

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Hm, personally I see super saiyan 3 as a full output of one's power translated into a transformation, similar (but better) to the ssj grade forms. Maybe Goku's ssj2 is almost just as good as Trunks's (in the manga) and ssj3 is a just step above ssj2's maximum. That could also explain how Vegeta's enraged ssj2 form surppassed Goku, even though that was before god ki training.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't mind Trunks' SSJ2 power. In fact, I like it. Rage Vegeta annoyed me to no end, however. It was just stupid and inconsistent.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Rubens wrote:Hm, personally I see super saiyan 3 as a full output of one's power translated into a transformation, similar (but better) to the ssj grade forms. Maybe Goku's ssj2 is almost just as good as Trunks's (in the manga) and ssj3 is a just step above ssj2's maximum. That could also explain how Vegeta's enraged ssj2 form surppassed Goku, even though that was before god ki training.
I kind of like this theory.

Something like SSJ : SSJ2 :: SSJ grade 2 : SSJ3 :: Mastered SSJ : Mastered SSJ2? We could even tie in Vegeta's 'Mutated' SSJ2 in the Mastered SSJ2 category.

In general though, I think SSJ3 is a form that as has been mentioned, is only attainable in unnatural circumstances. While dead (Goku) and while fused (Gotenks, and training it in the ROSAT came into play with him too). But if Trunks did manage to master SSJ2, a lot of this stuff makes more sense. We'll need to see how Toyotaro handles it I think. My rule of thumb is, if something takes place in both the anime AND manga, it's probably Toriyama's idea.

Rip the Jacker

Post by Rip the Jacker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:21 pm

This kinda makes you wonder how strong the buu saga characters are in comparison to Super.

Mystic Gohan would still be a powerhouse if he were still around. Super Gotenks is still a factor. Some of these characters still have to power to have a place on the battlefield.