In the future, does anyone recognize the Chorno Trigger reference?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

In the future, does anyone recognize the Chorno Trigger reference?

Post by keyz05 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:11 pm

When I played Chrono Trigger, there was a doomed future. Is this a reference to the Goku Black arc or what?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: In the future, does anyone recognize the Chorno Trigger reference?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Obviously it wouldn't be a reference to the Black arc, since Chrono Trigger came first.

And the Black arc isn't referencing Chrono Trigger either, because besides the apocalyptic future, there are no similarities. A dystopian, ruined future is a common theme in many series.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:46 pm

An post-apocalyptic environment does not mean that there is a reference. There are many series with that theme.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:49 am

True. Apocalyptic futures have been done from time to time. That being said, there's nothing that TRULY references Chrono Trigger in the Black arc.

Though, bringing it up now, I wouldn't mind seeing a little "blink-and-you''ll-miss it" cameo from some of the CT cast. Maybe one from Chrono and/or Marle?

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Believe me, no reference at all.

In Chrono Trigger, time travel is a plot element.
Zamasu is really different from Magnus, that have a sad background and wasn't the main enemy ( there's nothing like Lavos in the arc).

You don't have alternative timelines, one of the worst element in all DB franchise, but only one timeline.

So, while having multiple time windows happen at the same "time", there's no clear reference.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:27 pm

Akira Toriyama had nothing to do with the story of Chrono Trigger, so he is as likely to reference it as he is to reference Broly or GT.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Akira Toriyama had nothing to do with the story of Chrono Trigger, so he is as likely to reference it as he is to reference Broly or GT.
I do not know Chrono trigger at all...

However DB Super anime is not made by Toriyama alone... and references to GT have already been made there (surely to Baby-Vegeta... and maybe also baby Pan looking at the stars may be a reference to the galaxy tour)...
In the manga I don't know.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:50 pm

A few years before Chrono Trigger was developed, Toriyama had completed the Android Saga. It's a pretty safe bet that Square was fond of how Toriyama depicted time travel artistically, which landed him his design role in Chrono Trigger.

The Goku Black Arc seems to be a spiritual successor to Toriyama's Android saga, which predates Chrono Trigger. :thumbup:

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Nah, Chrono Trigger future is an high tech, post nuclear punk one, with robots, mutants and radiations, set in a FAR future.
This Future Trunks ...future is not a post-apocalypse one, more like a war scenery nowadays. No mutants, hitech, secret technology and cyborgs.
They are two different settings.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:27 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:Nah, Chrono Trigger future is an high tech, post nuclear punk one, with robots, mutants and radiations, set in a FAR future.
This Future Trunks ...future is not a post-apocalypse one, more like a war scenery nowadays. No mutants, hitech, secret technology and cyborgs.
They are two different settings.
That's true, and no one is saying Chrono Trigger and Android saga were supposed to be the same storywise, but you can see similar artistic elements like sword-wielding heroes fighting robots and the flying time machine. Also note there are two future time periods in the game if you count the "Day of Lavos".