Who is Super really intended for?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Who is Super really intended for?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Because I know for a fact it ain't for a raw, real-as-they-come hardcore fan like me because it does so much wrong even on a factual level. It's certainly not for Goku fans since they made him mentally handicapped and does a good job at perpetuating the belief of him not giving two shits about his loved ones, it's certainly not for fans of the non-Saiyan Z-Warriors since only Krillin and Piccolo do shit (but they're treated as jokes), and it's most definitely NOT for Gohan fans since he's only relevant as a jobber/punchline which is even worse in the anime given how gag-driven it is and there are some episodes that make him seem significant but they're just so poorly written and inconsequential. It won't appeal to older non-fans either since it rides heavily on the latest two movies' success and doesn't progress the series in any meaningful way.

Do you think Super is aimed for?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Who is Super really intended for?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:14 pm

You say all those things as if they single-handedly define a person. Like, if I don't care for the fact that Piccolo and Kuririn aren't super-involved, I automatically, by default, and at the expense of every single other aspect of the show, therefore have to dislike it.

That's... not reasonable, and that's not realistic.

I don't think it's out of line to categorize me (Mike, VegettoEX) as an absolutely insane, fanatical fan of the franchise. I like Dragon Ball Super. Well, I'll clarify that: I like the Universe 6 arc and the current Trunks arc of Dragon Ball Super.

So even right there you can see how an actual, real-life human being can be split on the show and have different opinions about different aspects, yet simultaneously still define the show as a "success" to them. It's a show that's greater than the sum of its parts.

Who is it for? The same audience it's always been for: young Japanese boys. They're the audience Toei is trying to indoctrinate into their fandom to run them for all they've got NOW, and then LATER sell nostalgia to. This is literally the plan they publicly outline in their financial reports, and it makes perfect sense. If anyone else happens to enjoy it along the way... that's great, Toei's happy to take their money, as well.

I don't mean to come down on you, but this reeks of entitlement. I don't know if you meant it that way, but that's how I'm reading it. Not every product that's made is for you. It is indeed possible that they don't care what you think, and are not specifically out to please you with the product they're making. And that's perfectly OK.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm

It's aimed at people like me.
Goku doesn't exist.
Gohan doesn't exist.
I don't have any kind of debt with them.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:53 pm

Its for people who love the DB Franchise who werent ready for it to be over but more for a new generation of Japanese schoolboys. I'm one of the two.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:16 pm

It's for Japanese middle school and highschool kids.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:24 am

I don't really understand the OP. I like Krillin, Piccolo and Goku and I like (almost love) Super. I don't think you can jump to conclusions that everyone who likes Piccolo or Krillin will automatically dislike the show as it's not for them.

Also the series has progressed a lot so I don't understand the not appealing to older non DB fans. In fact it would be even better for them because they'll likely not know about EoZ.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:02 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't really understand the OP. I like Krillin, Piccolo and Goku and I like (almost love) Super. I don't think you can jump to conclusions that everyone who likes Piccolo or Krillin will automatically dislike the show as it's not for them.

Also the series has progressed a lot so I don't understand the not appealing to older non DB fans. In fact it would be even better for them because they'll likely not know about EoZ.
I didn't clarify what I said... what I mean it's not making the effort to please the fans of those characters specifically as not everyone are gonna like their diminished roles.

As in progressing... I mean take the story in directions where it's never been before like how the series started as a lighthearted comedy/adventure that was loosely based on Journey of the West but became it's own thing as an action series that was darker and more mature as it went along. It's a natural progress that GT didn't get as it tried to combine the lighthearted comedy/adventure with the darker, edgier action-oriented stories.

Admittedly the whole concept of a villain who wants to exterminate humanity for the error of their ways is a cool concept but it's not really explored. I and I'm sure many others would love to see how he can ever come to such an opinion.
VegettoEX wrote:You say all those things as if they single-handedly define a person. Like, if I don't care for the fact that Piccolo and Kuririn aren't super-involved, I automatically, by default, and at the expense of every single other aspect of the show, therefore have to dislike it.

I don't think it's out of line to categorize me (Mike, VegettoEX) as an absolutely insane, fanatical fan of the franchise. I like Dragon Ball Super. Well, I'll clarify that: I like the Universe 6 arc and the current Trunks arc of Dragon Ball Super.

So even right there you can see how an actual, real-life human being can be split on the show and have different opinions about different aspects, yet simultaneously still define the show as a "success" to them. It's a show that's greater than the sum of its parts.

Who is it for? The same audience it's always been for: young Japanese boys. They're the audience Toei is trying to indoctrinate into their fandom to run them for all they've got NOW, and then LATER sell nostalgia to. This is literally the plan they publicly outline in their financial reports, and it makes perfect sense. If anyone else happens to enjoy it along the way... that's great, Toei's happy to take their money, as well.

I don't mean to come down on you, but this reeks of entitlement. I don't know if you meant it that way, but that's how I'm reading it. Not every product that's made is for you. It is indeed possible that they don't care what you think, and are not specifically out to please you with the product they're making. And that's perfectly OK.
Sorry if I come off as entitled but I feel Super is not as good as it could be as it's the midquel to one of the most popular and influential animated/comic book series'. I don't believe fans of a specific character would automatically dislike it because of the character's diminished role but it is a setback that lowers it's chances of appealing to that crowd at large.

I know the kiddies would like it but what I wanna know is what it intends for itself on a viewing experience spectrum once it's served it's purpose. The original series was for young boys yes... but it grew alongside the audience. The very early stuff would be looked back at fondly for nostalgia but the later on it progressed in a way that makes it's old ways seem vastly inferior.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:59 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't really understand the OP. I like Krillin, Piccolo and Goku and I like (almost love) Super. I don't think you can jump to conclusions that everyone who likes Piccolo or Krillin will automatically dislike the show as it's not for them.

I didn't clarify what I said... what I mean it's not making the effort to please the fans of those characters specifically as not everyone are gonna like their diminished roles.

As in progressing... I mean take the story in directions where it's never been before like how the series started as a lighthearted comedy/adventure that was loosely based on Journey of the West but became it's own thing as an action series that was darker and more mature as it went along. It's a natural progress that GT didn't get as it tried to combine the lighthearted comedy/adventure with the darker, edgier action-oriented stories.

Admittedly the whole concept of a villain who wants to exterminate humanity for the error of their ways is a cool concept but it's not really explored. I and I'm sure many others would love to see how he can ever come to such an opinion.
VegettoEX wrote:You say all those things as if they single-handedly define a person. Like, if I don't care for the fact that Piccolo and Kuririn aren't super-involved, I automatically, by default, and at the expense of every single other aspect of the show, therefore have to dislike it.

Sorry if I come off as entitled but I feel Super is not as good as it could be as it's the midquel to one of the most popular and influential animated/comic book series'. I don't believe fans of a specific character would automatically dislike it because of the character's diminished role but it is a setback that lowers it's chances of appealing to that crowd at large.

I know the kiddies would like it but what I wanna know is what it intends for itself on a viewing experience spectrum once it's served it's purpose. The original series was for young boys yes... but it grew alongside the audience. The very early stuff would be looked back at fondly for nostalgia but the later on it progressed in a way that makes it's old ways seem vastly inferior.
So basically, you're asking what kind of fans is Toei trying to appeal to?
I'd think the Future Trunks fans.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:03 am

Super is for all kinds of fans but mostly for gaining new fans and getting them to ride along the journey and make a profit off of them for years to come as stated above. That isn't really new I mean they did that with us older fans of the series and will continue to do so as long as there is a market for it. I think it is better to view DBS as canon and just accept what is happening in it. The same writers aren't being used and it is a different generation so all the things that made Z and GT great or even DB might not work here. Super is for the young fans and those fans may not care much for what happened to other characters but honestly it feels as though that was the natural progression. Piccolo didn't do much in the Buu Arc and all the other characters felt they weren't needed to fight anymore and could move on. Gohan only fought because he needed to never because he wanted to.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Dragon Ball Super, like the previous Dragon Ball related anime before it, is intended for young boys.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:18 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Because I know for a fact it ain't for a raw, real-as-they-come hardcore fan like me because it does so much wrong even on a factual level. It's certainly not for Goku fans since they made him mentally handicapped and does a good job at perpetuating the belief of him not giving two shits about his loved ones, it's certainly not for fans of the non-Saiyan Z-Warriors since only Krillin and Piccolo do shit (but they're treated as jokes), and it's most definitely NOT for Gohan fans since he's only relevant as a jobber/punchline which is even worse in the anime given how gag-driven it is and there are some episodes that make him seem significant but they're just so poorly written and inconsequential. It won't appeal to older non-fans either since it rides heavily on the latest two movies' success and doesn't progress the series in any meaningful way.

Those are not impersonal facts. Those are negative opinions and some of them are also debatable.
I opened a thread months ago to know common opinions about Super being targeted at a younger audience than DBZ. That's a discussion.
What you're trying to say is "who could ever care about that horrible show?", and this will cut off any discussion: tastes are tastes. And yours are not eligible as absolute (and mine aren't too).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Can we stop pretending like Dragon Ball is the pinnacle of Japanese cartoons or something? It's a mediocre show full of plot holes and retcons targetted at kids and young teens, with an incredibly inconsistent quality level ranging from "shit" to "pretty good". That's what it always was and that's what Super is, too.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:Can we stop pretending like Dragon Ball is the pinnacle of Japanese cartoons or something? It's a mediocre show full of plot holes and retcons targetted at kids and young teens, with an incredibly inconsistent quality level ranging from "shit" to "pretty good". That's what it always was and that's what Super is, too.
I have an urge to put this as my signature.

I think that Super has about the same intended audience. What I can see though from your posts DBZAOTA482 is that it's probably just not for you.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:16 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Because I know for a fact it ain't for a raw, real-as-they-come hardcore fan like me because it does so much wrong even on a factual level.
No. Sorry to break it to you, but that's not how things work. Your preferences and opinions are universal laws of the Dragon Ball universe. To meet them is not, never was and never will be a requirement. And you are not a template for a "a raw, real-as-they-come hardcore fan", whatever that even means.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:46 pm

It's for people who watch cartoons to be entertained.
I guess you could write an angry essay about Goku's relaxed disposition into middle age.
:clap:

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:09 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Because I know for a fact it ain't for a raw, real-as-they-come hardcore fan like me because it does so much wrong even on a factual level. It's certainly not for Goku fans since they made him mentally handicapped and does a good job at perpetuating the belief of him not giving two shits about his loved ones, it's certainly not for fans of the non-Saiyan Z-Warriors since only Krillin and Piccolo do shit (but they're treated as jokes), and it's most definitely NOT for Gohan fans since he's only relevant as a jobber/punchline which is even worse in the anime given how gag-driven it is and there are some episodes that make him seem significant but they're just so poorly written and inconsequential. It won't appeal to older non-fans either since it rides heavily on the latest two movies' success and doesn't progress the series in any meaningful way.

Dunno, maybe bulma/vegeta shippers. :D Or fans of both characters independently. Or fans of Trunks.

Or fans of Goku as being silly and carefree.

Or, those who are fans of minor characters but like adding new cast characters as the series progresses into new realms and goku meets new people (as has happened since day 1).

Oh, wait, none of those are a real demographic. Or they can't be "raw, real-as-they-come hardcore fans", because *you* are one, and you don't like it, so obviously no other hardcore fans like it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:30 am

The premise of this thread from jump street is extremely loaded and judgmental, not to mention pretty elitist.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

dragon ball truth

Post by dragon ball truth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:18 am

THEGOKU wrote:Super is for all kinds of fans but mostly for gaining new fans and getting them to ride along the journey and make a profit off of them for years to come as stated above. That isn't really new I mean they did that with us older fans of the series and will continue to do so as long as there is a market for it. I think it is better to view DBS as canon and just accept what is happening in it. The same writers aren't being used and it is a different generation so all the things that made Z and GT great or even DB might not work here. Super is for the young fans and those fans may not care much for what happened to other characters but honestly it feels as though that was the natural progression. Piccolo didn't do much in the Buu Arc and all the other characters felt they weren't needed to fight anymore and could move on. Gohan only fought because he needed to never because he wanted to.
Gun to his head and all, threatened with death if he didnt

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:03 am

Young Japanese boys.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:50 am

Young japanese kids, mostly boys, since its a fighting anime. Tho young girls may enjoy it also.