Toyotaro Goku & Toei Goku

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Toyotaro Goku & Toei Goku

Post by LightBing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:59 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:I don't know how I can say it better, it's not about the actions but the personality and mental process.
"It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me."

Someone can be the nicest person on the planet on the inside but if they act like a shithead, a shithead is what he will be regarded as by everyone else. Goku is a fairly likeable person but his actions and reasons for said actions are appallingly selfish and destructive for himself and everyone around him. He acts much like his various opponents to, doing things because that's what he's like except Freeza is an evil bastard for destroying the Earth while Goku isn't even though he's the one who gives Freeza a fucking opening to destroy it in the first place!

I will stop calling Goku a scum sucking bastard the day someone tells me why it's bad for Freeza to follow his base instincts which is be a murdering asshole but Goku is a good guy for basically doing the same thing and causing much needless pain, suffering and destruction for everyone around him in the process.
Goku doesn't directly destroy anything. It's unfair to call him scum and to compare him to Freeza. Not to say that Goku is good, not all, he's beyond selfish and calling him an asshole is fair, the difference is assholes don't clean their own shit; which Goku always does, one way or another (it helps having Dragon Ball).

It's like if Freeza was the guy who is actively is killing dolphins, while Goku is the guy who contributes to it by not choosing the brand that doesn't hurt them, either because of money or because that brand's tuna is just to damn good!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:02 pm

ParkerAL wrote:For the longest time, Toei had a habit of making Goku a tad more traditionally heroic and serious than Toriyama's Goku. I guess now they decided to fix that, after having Toriyama involved in newer material like Battle of Gods, but maybe swung a little too far in the other direction? That's just my feeling, I guess.
That's exactly what I've been thinking too. I wonder, was it a result of whatever Toriyama was complaining about?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Toei's more or less turned Goku into Luffy.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:54 am

Xeztin wrote:Toei's more or less turned Goku into Luffy.
Pretty much this. Only, I feel that Luffy cares about his friends a lot more than Gokuu cares about his.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:05 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Pretty much this. Only, I feel that Luffy cares about his friends a lot more than Gokuu cares about his.
Yeah I actually despise Luffy, but his antics are tolerable in that how he always was. Yes I understand Toei wrote Goku more heroic than he was, but he was never written as a total idiot either.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:39 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
Yeah I actually despise Luffy, but his antics are tolerable in that how he always was. Yes I understand Toei wrote Goku more heroic than he was, but he was never written as a total idiot either.
Except he has acted like a total idiot on several occasions in the manga.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Except he has acted like a total idiot on several occasions in the manga.
They weren't nearly as gut wrenching though. Toriyama Goku has displayed high levels of intelligence and, at times, used high vocabulary.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Except he has acted like a total idiot on several occasions in the manga.
They weren't nearly as gut wrenching though. Toriyama Goku has displayed high levels of intelligence and, at times, used high vocabulary.
Exactly, we even occasionally had times where Goku perceived or pieced together things other hadn't yet.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:09 pm

ryou766 wrote:
In fighting and training, yes. Outside of that, no.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:28 pm

Hate to be arriving a two month old thread, but I just finished reading the translated version of Chapter 17, and I like how Toyotaro's Goku rudely speaks to Beerus and even rudely speaks about the Grand Priest -- "Is this little runt over here the Grand Priest?" Lol, really reminds me of Toriyama's Goku.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:37 pm

ryou766 wrote:Hate to be arriving a two month old thread, but I just finished reading the translated version of Chapter 17, and I like how Toyotaro's Goku rudely speaks to Beerus and even rudely speaks about the Grand Priest -- "Is this little runt over here the Grand Priest?" Lol, really reminds me of Toriyama's Goku.
The scanslations are very liberal with that kind of thing, so don't take that as law. It's likely that Goku wasn't nearly as rude as they made him seem.
Retired.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:34 am

It's still "spiced" up a bit more than need be, but pretty much on track. This is about as literal as you can get without being disjointed for all his "rude" lines.
  • Son Goku: "What~?"
    ~~~~~~
    Son Goku: "I ain't going if I have to do somethin' so annoyin'."
    ~~~~~~
    Son Goku: "What noooow?"
    ~~~~~~
    Son Goku: "That kid-like person is the Dai Shinkan/Grand Priest-sama?"
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:49 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
  • Son Goku: "That kid-like person is the Dai Shinkan/Grand Priest-sama?"
I see, even though "little runt" seems a tad bit more disrespectful, still drives the point.