Could Dragon Ball Super lead to a Toonami Channel in the West?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Could Dragon Ball Super lead to a Toonami Channel in the West?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:30 pm

I think Turner is a major shoe in for the TV license of Dragon Ball Super in the Americas. But Toei doesnt seem to want an Adult Slot for DBS. But what if Toonami resurfaced as a channel itself aimed at children? Like the ones in France, India and the rest of Asia? That would be awesome. I do wish for Super to get the most exposure possible and all so It might not be a good idea. Still, sounds pretty cool huh? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Re: Could Dragon Ball Super lead to a Toonami Channel in the USA?

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:57 pm

could canada get a Toonami channel too?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:02 pm

You know what, that's a terrific idea! Toonami expanding as a channel would do wonders not just for anime but action cartoons as well!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You know what, that's a terrific idea! Toonami expanding as a channel would do wonders not just for anime but action cartoons as well!
We canadians haven't had a decent anime since Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood back in 2011

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:07 pm

That would probably cause brand confusion with the Adult Swim block.

Plus, it's not like linear kids television is in a boom period in the US right now.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Jason DeMarco mention a while ago that there is no plans to have Toonami on the day time from what I can remember on Ask.fm
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Jason DeMarco mention a while ago that there is no plans to have Toonami on the day time from what I can remember on Ask.fm
Dang, really? Welp, there goes my chances of ever seeing day-time Toonami in my lifetime. I wonder, why won't they do it?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:44 pm

Different people run CN now compare to what it was from 1992-2004. CN is not into action cartoons as they used to be. With Comedy shows, you don't need a toyline to sell merchandise which makes things cheaper. With Thunder Cats 2011, Green Lantern, Young Justice, they need toys to sell and they didn't sell that great.
She/Her

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Different people run CN now compare to what it was from 1992-2004. CN is not into action cartoons as they used to be. With Comedy shows, you don't need a toyline to sell merchandise which makes things cheaper. With Thunder Cats 2011, Green Lantern, Young Justice, they need toys to sell and they didn't sell that great.
I'm just speculating after reading your toy comments there, but I'd guess toyline sales dropping in general, as, in particular, video-games overtake them as children's entertainment, probably constitutes a major contributor in the death of the action cartoon block.

That's ... kind of a shame, as I think cartoons+toylines do a lot more for imagination and growth.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:09 pm

Honestly, as much as I love the returned Toonami block...if they couldn't actually get a whole channel to themselves at the height of their popularity back in the day, there's probably no way they'd get one now.

My bet for Super on TV is still regular CN or Nick (maybe Nicktoons). Though it'd be nice if it could also land on a streaming service pretty quickly after too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:40 am

Cipher wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Different people run CN now compare to what it was from 1992-2004. CN is not into action cartoons as they used to be. With Comedy shows, you don't need a toyline to sell merchandise which makes things cheaper. With Thunder Cats 2011, Green Lantern, Young Justice, they need toys to sell and they didn't sell that great.
I'm just speculating after reading your toy comments there, but I'd guess toyline sales dropping in general, as, in particular, video-games overtake them as children's entertainment, probably constitutes a major contributor in the death of the action cartoon block.

That's ... kind of a shame, as I think cartoons+toylines do a lot more for imagination and growth.
Well I didn't know that. I still see a lot of kids toys for shows like Adventure Time, Ninja Turtles, Pokemon, Transformers, Power Rangers, Star Wars, Marvel and DC. Kids must be buying them if they keep on making them. Even in Japan, Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Super Sentai still sell with toys for kids under the age of 13.
She/Her

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Could Dragon Ball Super lead to a Toonami Channel in the West?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:03 pm

I changed the title to reflect the demand for a Toonami Channel in Canada AND the UK. Now its more inclusive!

I really hope a mainstream channel gets the show though. Not that I wouldnt love for Toonami to be mainstream.