Dragon Ball Super DVD and Blu-ray Sales

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" DVD and Blu-ray Sales

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:51 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I was actually surprised how well Part 1 (and looks like 2) sold in the U.S. Both movies the arcs are based off of, are already available for half the price!! RS even ended up running out of stock before Part 1's official release date!! Super brand is already strong in Japan to the point they're slapping the logo on anything looks like the U.S/International may follow! Third time lucky to get a brand after Z I guess, :P
It only really proves that the hate for the retellings is mostly confined to the internet, much like how everyone hates the live-action Transformers movies on the internet. Also, hate or loved them, the retellings gives a more flush out account of what's going on compared to the movies, especially Resurrection 'F'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I was actually surprised how well Part 1 (and looks like 2) sold in the U.S. Both movies the arcs are based off of, are already available for half the price!! RS even ended up running out of stock before Part 1's official release date!! Super brand is already strong in Japan to the point they're slapping the logo on anything looks like the U.S/International may follow! Third time lucky to get a brand after Z I guess, :P
It only really proves that the hate for the retellings is mostly confined to the internet, much like how everyone hates the live-action Transformers movies on the internet. Also, hate or loved them, the retellings gives a more flush out account of what's going on compared to the movies, especially Resurrection 'F'.
That goes for Super on a whole really too. It wouldn't be doing this well if people didn't enjoy/like/love it and evidence like this suggest that people indeed are. It has gotten to the point now where Toei prioritised it over One Piece (in regards to the recent special)!!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: That goes for Super on a whole really too. It wouldn't be doing this well if people didn't enjoy/like/love it and evidence like this suggest that people indeed are. It has gotten to the point now where Toei prioritised it over One Piece (in regards to the recent special)!!
The One Piece got more billing, Last Supper and stuff, while Super got less or that but since these episodes were such a big turning point for the series (maybe even the franchise going forward) it got the best animators/writers like Episode 66. One Piece, Sanji vs Luffy isn't really a big moment no matter how Toei tried to frame it.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am

The recruitment episodes flopped big time. Lowest BD/DVD Sales since Box 3.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 am

No. DBS never does well in DVD/BD sales cause the audience comprises mostly of kids and kids don't buy home releases. The few units sold were brought by the very dedicated, but very tiny part of the fanbase.

With the exception of a few long runners, almost no long running series performs well in the home video market. Making any kind of conclusion about what's hit and what's flop based on home video sales which is a trivial and kind of irrelevant thing to a ratings/merchandise driven series like DBS is pointless.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:24 am

The numbers are in and Dragon Ball Super Part 1 sold a combined 16,148 units in it's first week of release in the America.

13,054 units were sold on Blu-Ray and 3094 were sold on DVD.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Dragon Ball Super Part 2 sold 9,844 units on Blu Ray in it's first week of release.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Total units sold for Dragon Ball Super Part 2 (DVD and Blu-Ray) were 12,257

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am

Dragon Ball Super Box Set 9 sold 511 copies on Blu-Ray and 533 copies on DVD.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball Super Box Set 9 sold 511 copies on Blu-Ray and 533 copies on DVD.
That means it made 13736800yen going prices from CDJapan so ~ $122,258. Not bad definitely understand why the mark up the prices.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 am

Dragon Ball Super Box Set 10 sold 667 copies on Blu Ray and 675 copies on DVD in Japan.

Dragon Ball Super Part 3 sold 10,458 copies on DVD and 21,551 on Blu Ray in the USA in its first week. (A huge jump in sales and profit for Part 1 and especially Part 2).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Dragon Ball Super Box Set 11 sold 803 copies on DVD and 770 copies on Blu-Ray in Japan.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am

Hey so by any chance will this get an update i really want to see the Dragon ball super part 4 sales.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote:Hey so by any chance will this get an update i really want to see the Dragon ball super part 4 sales.
When I get the numbers for Dragon Ball Super Part 4, I'll update the thread.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Limit-Breaking wrote:Hey so by any chance will this get an update i really want to see the Dragon ball super part 4 sales.
When I get the numbers for Dragon Ball Super Part 4, I'll update the thread.
Hey quick question when it comes down to buying Dragon Ball Super Part 4 or any for that matter, if you buy it on ebay for a cheaper price does it still help funimation and the anime. Cause it confuses me how it's thirty dollars on funimation website and people sell it a lot cheaper on different websites.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Dragon Ball Super Part Four sold 18,739 copies on Blu Ray in America in its first week of release.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball Super Part Four sold 18,739 copies on Blu Ray in America in its first week of release.
I'm confuse on the edit it say's in total 18,739 but here you say only for bluray 18,739, but on the link it say's 24,518

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:37 pm

Dragon Ball Super Part Four sold 5779 copies on DVD in its first week in sales in America
Limit-Breaking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball Super Part Four sold 18,739 copies on Blu Ray in America in its first week of release.
I'm confuse on the edit it say's in total 18,739 but here you say only for bluray 18,739, but on the link it say's 24,518
My mistake.

I'll sort that out.

EDIT: It's sorted on the main page
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:45 pm

I remember someone once saying DBS' sales on DVD & Blu-ray are due to it not appealing to the otaku market. Any truth to this?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:51 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I remember someone once saying DBS' sales on DVD & Blu-ray are due to it not appealing to the otaku market. Any truth to this?
To be honest i don't think that's close to the truth, if i remember correctly i will make an edit leaving a link if i find the article but it goes into detail on how japan sell's their dvd and bluray anime which apparently consists of 3-4 episodes apparently ranging around 80 to 90 USD if you convert them.

Hence to why it sales in japan may be considered good or bad depending on how you see them, as for the international side well they sell it at the price of 30 dollars or more online, but places like ebay sells them a bit cheaper if you are lucky, But i could be wrong to an extent on otaku not buying it but i think the main reason for it sales is because of money and how many episodes go along with it.

Here is the article, https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07