Will Trunks stay in the future after the current arc ends?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Will Trunks stay in the future after the current arc ends?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 pm

I will say yes. Him staying in the present could hurt the development of other characters.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
emperior wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I don't even think they should've brought him back so he most definitely needs to perma fuck off after this arc is done. I have nothing against the character himself mind you, I just think it was unnecessary to crap on his ending from Z by making his future a terrible place again.
In my opinion this arc needed to exist, I never really liked the fact Trunks altered the time and went home like he did nothing. The fact the enemy who kills his mom and terrorizes his future has the very face of the guy Trunks' went back in time to save is awesome for me and this will be the proper closure to Future Trunks' character.
Trunks' arc was over, he saved his future, defeated the people who murdered his mentor and his father, got to know his dad, earning mutual respect for him and was secure in the knowledge all would be well. All of this stuff you mention isn't some holdover from before, its things engineered to soft-reboot Future Trunks' corner of Dragon Ball, and make no mistake, this IS a soft-reboot, so he can be in the same shitty future with humanity once again on the brink of destruction and him needing to skulk around like a rat to survive before leaving to the past again.

Trunks didn't need this, all you needed to do to have everyone lose their shit over this arc is have Champa & Vados chill around on his planet then end the episode with (holy fucking shit!) Goku murdering Champa, thus setting in motion a whole chain of events which would realistically involve Zeno and Beerus and all these other deities in a FAR more natural way than the actual Black arc has. Trunks didn't need to be here, his arc was concluded, the fact Super shat on that and soft-rebooted him so he can get some closer (again) isn't a fitting end to his character, Z already accomplished that.

But having Trunks casually walk back to his future with no consequence on his time travelling is lame. I get your point, but DBS already stated with Jaco that time travelling is severely forbidden, and it was also stated in Jaco's manga. Also Bulma and Trunks knew that time travelling would have created a parallel world but decided to do it the same, but they made sure to only create one parallel world.

Now we have 12 universes and many more Gods than in DBZ, so you can hate this new arc as much as you want but you can't tell me it doesn't make sense.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:32 pm

emperior wrote:But having Trunks casually walk back to his future with no consequence on his time travelling is lame. I get your point, but DBS already stated with Jaco that time travelling is severely forbidden, and it was also stated in Jaco's manga. Also Bulma and Trunks knew that time travelling would have created a parallel world but decided to do it the same, but they made sure to only create one parallel world.

Now we have 12 universes and many more Gods than in DBZ, so you can hate this new arc as much as you want but you can't tell me it doesn't make sense.
A character who completed the one thing he set out to do and lives in his own corner of the DB universe is a LOT more easier to retire in a satisfactory manner than the vast majority of other guys who do nothing because they're not either Saiyan's or Goku & Vegeta as is the case with the main timeline cast.

And my issue with Trunks being in here doesn't make me hate the arc, the arc itself is going down the Cell Arc road of shit well enough on its own, I'm merely saying we didn't need Toriyama's stupid time travel on top of a multiverse on top of a stupid, convoluted time loop that used to not be possible in Dragon Ball to make this arc happen.

Having Champa & Vados chill on their world after the tournament for an episode then having one or both of them get murdered by (ER MAH GURD!) Goku would be a satisfactory enough way to bring in the multiverse characters and introduce more Gods from there and you'd have the gimmick of (ER MAH GURD!) evil Goku working for you.

Trunks did not need to be here if anything, his presence just makes things unnecessarily convoluted and is blatant fanboy wanking of the highest order. It also creates a stupid notion that Dragon Ball can only get darker or more serious if you make Future Trunk's miserable shit life ooze into the main casts which is flat out wrong on so many levels.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:40 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
emperior wrote:But having Trunks casually walk back to his future with no consequence on his time travelling is lame. I get your point, but DBS already stated with Jaco that time travelling is severely forbidden, and it was also stated in Jaco's manga. Also Bulma and Trunks knew that time travelling would have created a parallel world but decided to do it the same, but they made sure to only create one parallel world.

A character who completed the one thing he set out to do and lives in his own corner of the DB universe is a LOT more easier to retire in a satisfactory manner than the vast majority of other guys who do nothing because they're not either Saiyan's or Goku & Vegeta as is the case with the main timeline cast.

And my issue with Trunks being in here doesn't make me hate the arc, the arc itself is going down the Cell Arc road of shit well enough on its own, I'm merely saying we didn't need Toriyama's stupid time travel on top of a multiverse on top of a stupid, convoluted time loop that used to not be possible in Dragon Ball to make this arc happen.

Having Champa & Vados chill on their world after the tournament for an episode then having one or both of them get murdered by (ER MAH GURD!) Goku would be a satisfactory enough way to bring in the multiverse characters and introduce more Gods from there and you'd have the gimmick of (ER MAH GURD!) evil Goku working for you.

Trunks did not need to be here if anything, his presence just makes things unnecessarily convoluted and is blatant fanboy wanking of the highest order. It also creates a stupid notion that Dragon Ball can only get darker or more serious if you make Future Trunk's miserable shit life ooze into the main casts which is flat out wrong on so many levels.

I get your point, but if an Evil Goku showed up so strong he would kill a God of Destruction then Power Levels would have skyrocketed too much and Goku and Vegeta would have to get on par with Beerus and it's not what Akira Toriyama wants. Also you can't have something involving time in DB unless you put Future Trunks in the mix. Unless Evil Goku was from another universe, which wouldn't make much sense
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm

emperior wrote:I get your point, but if an Evil Goku showed up so strong he would kill a God of Destruction then Power Levels would have skyrocketed too much and Goku and Vegeta would have to get on par with Beerus and it's not what Akira Toriyama wants. Also you can't have something involving time in DB unless you put Future Trunks in the mix. Unless Evil Goku was from another universe, which wouldn't make much sense
He doesn't need to kill Champa directly, they can keep the whole "kill a Kai to kill his God of Destruction!" thing to have them die without needing to make Black necessarily on par with Beerus. Plus, Zamasu already steals Goku's body in the actual story so imagine if our main Goku suffered that fate and it was up to the other characters to combat him? Goku's already a hated caricature of himself in the show so I really don't think you'd lose any points with people by just benching him for a while.

The time travel thing doesn't need to exist here period, there's plenty of ways to write around it and majoritively get the same points across in the story.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

djcoopdawg
Beyond Newbie

Post by djcoopdawg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:51 pm

There are two situations that I would be comfortable seeing:

1) Future Trunks returns to the future and lives happily after with Mai as they rebuild the future. He promises never to go to the past because of all the bad that it has done. We get full closure.

2) Zeno gets angry at everything and is about to destroy the whole Future timeline. Goku persuades him to either not do it or to save those few remaining mortals alive. Xeno moves them (including Trunks) to the regular timeline, either to live on Earth, or to live on a planet far away in the same universe and timeline as everyone else. This allows us to see Trunks return again, while keeping him a distance away as to not have him "forced" in with the main cast.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:08 pm

My idea is they'll use the Super Dragon Balls to bring back those killed by Zamasu, Black, AND the Androids.

Everyone but Goku comes back.

He's suffered enough. He deserves a peaceful life.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:05 pm

djcoopdawg wrote:There are two situations that I would be comfortable seeing:

1) Future Trunks returns to the future and lives happily after with Mai as they rebuild the future. He promises never to go to the past because of all the bad that it has done. We get full closure.

2) Zeno gets angry at everything and is about to destroy the whole Future timeline. Goku persuades him to either not do it or to save those few remaining mortals alive. Xeno moves them (including Trunks) to the regular timeline, either to live on Earth, or to live on a planet far away in the same universe and timeline as everyone else. This allows us to see Trunks return again, while keeping him a distance away as to not have him "forced" in with the main cast.
I'm getting the feeling one of these two, maybe the second option, ends up happening. I can't imagine all of this goes without some sort of consequence...

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 am

I'm sure that this is his swan song, especially with how they continually mention that time travel is bad. They'll restore everything in his world somehow and he'll have his happy ending

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:23 am

Future Trunks ain't coming back to the present. He already said goodbye to Present Mai and Present Trunks, pretty much states that he no longer intends to return. Also the time travels already messed too much with the timelines, bringing despair to both timelines, future and present and Trunks feels guilty about Black or even Cell, altough he had the best intentions for doing what he did.

Earth's dragonballs are long gone by now, Super Dragon Balls were destroyed by Zamasu & Black and most likely the Namek Dragon Balls were destroyed as well. Black stated that the Dragon Ball were destroyed so I doubt he would leave Namek alone. But if Namek is intact, they can use the Dragon Balls to ressurect Bulma and, at least, restore Earth.

Another question is, can the Zetto-senshi ( or sould I say Super-senshi ) use the present Super Dragon Balls to fix the dismal future ? I seriously doubt that Zarama can fix different timelines... Ressurect all the Kaioshins and Hakaishins and restore all the planets that Black/Zamasu destroyed sounds a bit too much but...who knows.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:26 am

Future Trunks' hackneyed reemergence into the story does seem like an intentional arrangement by Toriyama and Toei so they can drudge up profitability for the series. The Universe 6 tournament arc was satisfactory, but there was no doubt a myriad of grievances surrounding the execution of it such as the low-quality of several fights and haphazard animation standard. No matter your opinions concerning the subject matter, the Future Trunks arc is undoubtedly several plateaus higher in quality -- the animation seems to exude more enthusiasm despite the obvious hiccups ailing recent episodes. It also helps that an attempt to prescribe some inkling of standard for the antagonist's actions is occurring.

Could the inter-timeline debacle have been avoided? Yes, though I also enjoy the notion of acknowledgement, no matter how perverse, for previously asserted lore facts such as the illegality of time travel resurfacing to accommodate what would have otherwise been a blatant hole in the logic of the universe's authority figures.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:43 am

He's not even in the current ED, so I doubt he'll stick around.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm guessing he will somehow get the dragon balls and resurrect everyone, because Toyotaro says Trunks will talk to his tutor, which is future Gohan

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:59 pm

The tutor likely being referred to is Trunks' private instructor. I doubt that was about Future Gohan.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:02 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I'm guessing he will somehow get the dragon balls and resurrect everyone, because Toyotaro says Trunks will talk to his tutor, which is future Gohan
Are you sure he's not talking about present Gohan?
Out of curiosity, was this stated in the newest interview?
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Avery wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:I'm guessing he will somehow get the dragon balls and resurrect everyone, because Toyotaro says Trunks will talk to his tutor, which is future Gohan
Are you sure he's not talking about present Gohan?
Out of curiosity, was this stated in the newest interview?
Yeah it's in the new interview. I imagine it's future Gohan, because present Gohan is a completely different character and never tutored Trunks

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Nejishiki wrote:The tutor likely being referred to is Trunks' private instructor. I doubt that was about Future Gohan.
Definitely, no way any form of Gohan is going to be relevant anymore.

But aside from silly comments like that, I agree completely and Toyotaro must be referring to the tutor explaining the concept of parallel worlds, as that not only seemed like a reminder of how timelines work in DB, but also a set-up for explaining later on what exactly is going on in this arc.
And given the fact the Future Trunks arc of the Super manga has yet to be released in the US, I'm sure he isn't referring to chapters after the ones already released in japan, but just future chapters in the US.

So it seems like he's implying Trunks going back in time really did split the timeline, even though he tried not to, so we have the main timeline, as we knew it until Zamasu seeks out Goku and takes his body and then terrorizes Trunks' future and then this new main timeline, where Zamasu will be stopped in his tracks, thanks to Trunks' visit.

At least that's what it sounds like. That would also mean that the new timering, Gowasu spots in the box, was actually created, when Future Trunks escaped from Black, which would mean the timerings would represent the original timeline(1), the one created by that guy from Universe 12(2), Future Trunks' timeline(3), Zamasu becomes Black timeline(4) and the new main timeline(5). Unfortunately this forces us to question "what about Cell's timeline?" It's confusing right now, so I really don't know. At this point it could be it was straight up overwritten. Hope we get some explanations!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Interview: Dragon Ball Super's Toyotarou wrote:Among the gags in the manga, do you have a favorite one?
In the upcoming Trunks storyline, there's a part where Trunks' tutor explains a certain important part of the story…and I can't go into more detail. So keep an eye out for that!
That's all of the information concerning a tutor. Given that we have an established character for that already, I doubt Toyotaro is skirting reference to Future Gohan.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:39 pm

I recall Vegeta telling Future Trunks never to return the present or to bother them (the main cast) once this conflict with Zamasu is over. I predict that they will use the Earth and Namekian from the Present Timeline to bring everyone back to life in Future Trunks world and then Goku, Vegeta and Bulma will return to their timeline in the present. God knows Future Trunks needs a happy ending with the all the shit he's been through.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:51 pm

We already have a fifth timeline - the one that the Trunks that killed Mecha-Frieza and King Cold in Cell's timeline came from.

Cell mentions that they collected cells from Frieza and Cold, with the panel showing Frieza sliced in half same as in the main timeline and Cold with a hole blasted through his chest. The Trunks that killed those two must have come from somewhere.

So the timestream where Black comes from isn't an alternate timeline.

It's just erased from existence.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)