Masako Nozawa has nailed the voice of Goku Black

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Masako Nozawa has nailed the voice of Goku Black

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:43 pm

If the other voice actors will do the same great job like her in different countries :think: The voice is so great because he sounds like a savage but
at the same time it feels like he is trolling his opponents in a funny way with his voice..

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Masako Nozawa has nailed the voice of Black Goku

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:20 pm

You're absolutely right. And i never once thought i would actually say it, but boy she nailed it with Black! Black has an awesome, sinister and evil voice. This is WAY better than regular Goku. Where his voice is all goofy and childish. I bet more serious and evil voices would be better suited for Masaka Nozawa.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 pm

IMO, Nozawa nailed most* of her voices in Dragon Ball, so this should be no shock.
*besides bardock who should have been played by Chiba but i get why they went with nozawa.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:45 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:This is WAY better than regular Goku. Where his voice is all goofy and childish.
Well, I'd have to heavily disgree with this. Her Goku Black is amazing, but, in my opinion, her Goku AND her Gohan is even better. And I disagree with the notion that the voice is all goofy and childish. At times, it can be when those particular emotions are required. But, I think that she's shown time and time again, that she can do a spectacular and serious Goku.
GodVegetto91 wrote:I bet more serious and evil voices would be better suited for Masaka Nozawa.
I don't necessarily agree with the notion that that's all she can do, but I will agree that she's awesome at doing them.

In my opinion, yes, she definitely nailed that voice, like she does with every other role.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:50 pm

How many times has she voiced villians?? Or is this the first time with Black Goku???

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:How many times has she voiced villians?? Or is this the first time with Black Goku???
No, she's voiced Tullece. I wanna say Bardock, because Saiyajins were jerks, but I probably wouldn't consider him one. I'm not sure, but she's probably done others in her career.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Re: Masako Nozawa has nailed the voice of Goku Black

Post by Sodhi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:30 pm

It's sad to think that #64 will probably be the last time we hear her as Black :(. I don't think the dub would be able to match her performance. It is amazing.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Sodhi wrote:It's sad to think that #64 will probably be the last time we hear her as Black :(. I don't think the dub would be able to match her performance. It is amazing.
Maybe they'll do a movie version of the Trunks arc and we'll see him again. I usually don't like when they retell story arcs as movies, but I like Black and Zamasu so much I wouldn't mind it just to see them again.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:24 am

Yeah, goku black's voice is top notch. This, future trunks and piccolo's voice are just great in Japanese.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:31 am

I've been so accustomed to the Japanese version that every time I hear the English dub, I can't help but cringe.

Sean's Black could be much better than what it was. Heard it once, and immediately went back to Japanese on XV2.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:41 am

Bansho64 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:This is WAY better than regular Goku. Where his voice is all goofy and childish.
Well, I'd have to heavily disgree with this. Her Goku Black is amazing, but, in my opinion, her Goku AND her Gohan is even better. And I disagree with the notion that the voice is all goofy and childish. At times, it can be when those particular emotions are required. But, I think that she's shown time and time again, that she can do a spectacular and serious Goku.
GodVegetto91 wrote:I bet more serious and evil voices would be better suited for Masaka Nozawa.
I don't necessarily agree with the notion that that's all she can do, but I will agree that she's awesome at doing them.

In my opinion, yes, she definitely nailed that voice, like she does with every other role.
Well you can disagree all you want, but it doesn't change a thing to my opinion. If i compare the 2 cases, they're like two extreme ends for me. I really dislike the goofy Goku voice, and while i definitely agree with you that she's capable of producing a serious Goku voice aswell. (Such as when Goku was up in the air talking to Freeza in a cocky way, just before Vegeta came in and started attacking Goku all of a sudden) That was greatly handled, i'll give her that! but overall when Goku is just being his usual self. It's like one end, while Goku Black is the other end to the extreme. I absolute LOVE Goku Black's voice! While i really dislike Goku's usual goofy voice.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 am

ryou766 wrote:I've been so accustomed to the Japanese version that every time I hear the English dub, I can't help but cringe.

Sean's Black could be much better than what it was. Heard it once, and immediately went back to Japanese on XV2.
I think Sean did the best he could with what he was given (Black was such a new character at the time of recording, there probably was not much to go on). I'm sure when Super is being dubbed, the Voice Director will give him a better understanding of what Black is supposed to sound like.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:09 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Well you can disagree all you want, but it doesn't change a thing to my opinion.
Ok? I wasn't even hellbent on doing so in the first place. I was just offering my thoughts, just like you were with yours.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am

I'll never be a fan of the Japanese voices she works on. However, Black is the one exception. I love her work on him. I'm also severely disappointed in Black's english dub voice from Xenoverse 2. It's ****ing awful. I REALLY hope that's not how he ends up sounding in the English Super.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:37 am

Nozawa Masako nailed Gokuu Black just like she nailed all the voices of the characters she has played, so nothing surprising.

The only exception being Son Goten, which was okay at best but Goten is barely a character so I don't care that much.

- Travis

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:45 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
ryou766 wrote:I've been so accustomed to the Japanese version that every time I hear the English dub, I can't help but cringe.

I think Sean did the best he could with what he was given (Black was such a new character at the time of recording, there probably was not much to go on). I'm sure when Super is being dubbed, the Voice Director will give him a better understanding of what Black is supposed to sound like.
It could be easily done, that's what bothers me the most. Just have him sound like a more calm and collective Goku.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:01 pm

You're right. Her work as Black has been nothing short of impressive and foreboding.
fadeddreams5 wrote:I love her work on him. I'm also severely disappointed in Black's english dub voice from Xenoverse 2. It's ****ing awful. I REALLY hope that's not how he ends up sounding in the English Super.
Not gonna lie, I was also a bit disappointed in Goku Black's voice.
ShadowBardock89 wrote:

Hopefully.
ryou766 wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:

It could be easily done, that's what bothers me the most. Just have him sound like a more calm and collective Goku.
Yeah, that's what I thought Black would sound like, only it sounds as if he needs to get some Robitussin or something. Such a gruff voice.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Don't forget, Super Saiyan God's first appearance in a game was a lot more gruff than it turned out to be. They'd probably hammer out the details better once they work on Super and see where it's going. Have faith in the FUNimation of today.

Masako Nozawa's Black? Yeah, that's a fantastic role. I must imagine she's having fun with playing a major villain. I might almost like her Black even more than her Goku (even though I do love her Goku).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:11 pm

pardon my ignorance but isn't the voice actor for black the same as goku but just spoken in a more sinister tone?

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:If the other voice actors will do the same great job like her in different countries :think: The voice is so great because he sounds like a savage but
at the same time it feels like he is trolling his opponents in a funny way with his voice..
I feel like Mario Castañeda (the LatAm Goku's voice actor) will do a great job voicing Black. He's voiced Kogu/Gokua and some other villains in Naruto or other movies, and most of the times he sounded great!

Kogu is probably the best example here since he's the one that sounds the most like Goku.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball