"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball Super Officially Confirmed

Post by Avok » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Daimakku wrote:The important question here is, will they get the Bluray version of the show or the TV broadcast? If it's the TV broadcast, they can expect me to not spend a single cent on this.. The animation is absolutely terrible in many parts. Like, unacceptably terrible. But I've heard they fixed them on the home video releases.

It's gotten a bit better on the Goku Black saga, but the overall animation doesn't hold a candle to Z, which was animated well over 20 years ago.. what a shame.
They fixed the art in some minor scenes. The animation is as poor as the in TV broadcast.
And don't worry, they'll use the BD version. Crunchyroll is already using it.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:09 pm

Soul wrote:I'm more curious on if it does air on a network for kids, how they'll work around the whole *God" thing.

"Beerus the Destroyer" is already a thing, would you change "God of Destruction" to "Kai", "Lord" or "Master"? Same rules apply to Super Saiyan God. Though I imagine they may just go with Super Saiyan Red.
Concerning godly titles, they can always dub Beerus as "Hakaishin". The other gods are already portrayed as higher beings, so the audience won't have trouble following Zamasu's speciesism.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Can't wait to find out who voices Vados, Champa, Zamasu, and etc.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Fucking fantastic! I really do hope it comes to Toonami. Nicktoons would censor it (and fail miserably - they let Lazuli say she was PISSED).
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:Fucking fantastic! I really do hope it comes to Toonami. Nicktoons would censor it (and fail miserably - they let Lazuli say she was PISSED).
A censored broadcast is fine with me. The physical release would still exist, and it's my priority anyway.
Retired.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:Fucking fantastic! I really do hope it comes to Toonami. Nicktoons would censor it (and fail miserably - they let Lazuli say she was PISSED).
A censored broadcast is fine with me. The physical release would still exist, and it's my priority anyway.
Let's just hope CW doesn't get it.

No more Blue Popo, please.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was cartoon network that featured the Blue Popo. I believe that was Nicktoons, yes?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:39 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was cartoon network that featured the Blue Popo. I believe that was Nicktoons, yes?
Neither, it was CW
Retired.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

CW is Toonzai and 4Kids. You're thinking of Cartoon Network.

CW's blocks Toonzai, 4Kids, and Vortexx (I forget the order) ran heavily censored versions of Kai concurrently with Nicktoons's broadcast. CW had Blue Popo and Chiaotzu's explosion being replaced with...glitter. Nicktoons was less censored.

Eventually, Kai moved to Toonami where it runs uncensored.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote: Let's just hope CW doesn't get it.

CW is Toonzai and 4Kids. You're thinking of Cartoon Network.

CW's blocks Toonzai, 4Kids, and Vortexx (I forget the order) ran heavily censored versions of Kai concurrently with Nicktoons's broadcast. CW had Blue Popo and Chiaotzu's explosion being replaced with...glitter. Nicktoons was less censored.

Eventually, Kai moved to Toonami where it runs uncensored.
Ah yes, you and Jinzoningen are right. I was confusing two different versions. My bad.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Y'know, I'm not going to start saying I want Funimation to make major changes to the DB Super dub - because just like other fans, I like the new Funimation that appeals to both the sub and dub fans. But if there were any MINOR changes I could make to the dub (MINOR SPOILERS FOR DUB FANS AHEAD):

There's a moment in (I think Episode 17) when it appears as if Goku's having trouble using a cell phone. Then, Gohan arrives and I think he asks, "What are you doing?" If I was Funimation, just for fun - I might change Gohan's line to "Need help with that, dad?". I know it's a pointless change, but I feel like it wouldn't affect anything major and would be a funny way to show the difference between Goku and Gohan - especially since immediately after, Goku just leaves the room so it's not like he responded to Gohan in a way that messes up the scene.

As for where DB Super will air, like I said in previous posts - I think at this point to my own surprise, Disney XD might be the best place to air it due to the fact that it already airs certain kids anime, Marvel shows, and Star Wars: Rebels. It'd be nice for Dragon Ball to be featured on a channel that already has Marvel and Star Wars (two properties Disney owns) on it. Then, at some later point in time - It will air on Toonami. I also have a feeling like with My Hero Academia, Funimation will stream dubbed episodes as well as it being on television.

Ah, 2017 is shaping up to be an awesome year for dubbed Dragon Ball (as someone else said) with Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (Buu Saga) and Dragon Ball Super seemingly coming. It'd be even better if the undubbed DB specials were announced, but beggars can't be choosers.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:52 am

Funimation's web site was having major lag when I was watching the new episode tonight. I really hope they fix it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:42 pm

So on reddit someone said they met Rager at the con over the weekend and Rager confirmed that they have dubbed first 10 episodes already. Maybe it's likely we'll see the first BD in Feb?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote: No more Blue Popo, please.
I think that level of censorship is acceptable for pre-watershed broadcast.

Whether intended or not, the likeness may carry an offensive racial connotation when viewed by Western audiences.

We know that Popo is a genie, the casual everyman probably doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:39 pm

Why are people thinking that we will get a Blue Mr. Popo again? The home video releases had him in his normal skin color for Kai. I think that was more of CW4kids choice and not Funimation. Blaming them for Blue Popo would be no different than blaming the Gohan's face while it is being held by Tullece.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Yeah. It was an edit unique to The CW's broadcasts. Now that their kids block is dead so is Blue Popo.

Also I do wish Nicktoons gets it. We dont know if Disney XD might require a similar edit.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 pm

So I was looking at Kanzenshuu's website post about the dub confirmation and I noticed something. The post mentions Funimation's facebook page, back in March, posting some seemingly Easter-related images followed by an actual Super-related picture a few days later. So do we think that FUNi had acquired Super back in March and just took months after that to negotiate the details with Toei? After all, Sean Schemmel did mention back in April that a Super dub was getting closer to being a reality & even shared some inside info about how FUNi had been negotiating with Toei about Super since late 2015.

And speaking of Super teases, I also noticed something else. The actual Easter pictures I'm referring to in the Kanzenshuu post have the following URL's:
1.) http://www.kanzenshuu.com/wp-content/up ... png?x86358
2.) http://www.kanzenshuu.com/wp-content/up ... png?x86358
3.) http://www.kanzenshuu.com/wp-content/up ... png?x86358

Notice the year, month, and picture titles. These pictures are in the March 2016 directory for the website and are titled "funi_super_fb_tease_[1/2/3]". Were these pictures named this way back in March? If so, how did the Kanzenshuu folks know that they were supposed to be a Super tease? Do they have some kind of inside knowledge???

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:39 pm

thaman91 wrote:...how did the Kanzenshuu folks know that they were supposed to be a Super tease? Do they have some kind of inside knowledge???
It was obvious what they were referencing, I don't think it has anything to do with "inside knowledge".
Retired.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
thaman91 wrote:...how did the Kanzenshuu folks know that they were supposed to be a Super tease? Do they have some kind of inside knowledge???
It was obvious what they were referencing, I don't think it has anything to do with "inside knowledge".
But wouldn't the obvious conclusion be that they are Easter-related pictures? So why not name the pictures "funi_fb_easter" instead of "funi_super_fb_tease"? Like how is a gif of Goku running on Snake Way an obvious Super reference?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 pm

thaman91 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
But wouldn't the obvious conclusion be that they are Easter-related pictures? So why not name the pictures "funi_fb_easter" instead of "funi_super_fb_tease"? Like how is a gif of Goku running on Snake Way an obvious Super reference?
Read the first message. Every one of these is teasing fans.
Retired.