"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:When talk about kid vegeta scene i think kaiji tang did pretty great job with it compared to whoever voicing him currently in funi!! I think kaiji himself voiced king vegeta too (can't say for sure but his voice range is pretty much everywhere, so it could be him)...
Justin Briner (FUNi Kid Vegeta) did pretty well too, his voice fit the younger Vegeta. Kaiji sounded too old in the role for my tastes, reminds me of when they had adult men voice kids in the 4Kids dub of One Piece
I thought the transition worked well for kaiji tang from younger to older, he didn't sound too old at all haha!!! just for quick comparison
https://streamable.com/qi7hd
Last edited by hulkedoutdude on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:47 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:When talk about kid vegeta scene i think kaiji tang did pretty great job with it compared to whoever voicing him currently in funi!! I think kaiji himself voiced king vegeta too (can't say for sure but his voice range is pretty much everywhere, so it could be him)...
Justin Briner (FUNi Kid Vegeta) did pretty well too, his voice fit the younger Vegeta. Kaiji sounded too old in the role for my tastes, reminds me of when they had adult men voice kids in the 4Kids dub of One Piece
I thought the transition worked well for kaiji tang from younger to older, he didn't sound too old at all haha!!! just for quick comparison https://streamable.com/qi7hd
It's just a thing where Kaiji has a deep voice so when he tries to sound like a kid, it sounds a little forced and unfitting. I think Kaiji is an alright Vegeta overall but this is the FUNi dub discussion thread so I won't say anything more about my thoughts on his portrayal
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:50 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Justin Briner (FUNi Kid Vegeta) did pretty well too, his voice fit the younger Vegeta. Kaiji sounded too old in the role for my tastes, reminds me of when they had adult men voice kids in the 4Kids dub of One Piece
I thought the transition worked well for kaiji tang from younger to older, he didn't sound too old at all haha!!! just for quick comparison https://streamable.com/qi7hd
It's just a thing where Kaiji has a deep voice so when he tries to sound like a kid, it sounds a little forced and unfitting. I think Kaiji is an alright Vegeta overall but this is the FUNi dub discussion thread so I won't say anything more about my thoughts on his portrayal
Yeah,But i'm Glad funi didn't stick to sabat's kid vegeta voice... it was really good decision from them!!!

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote: I thought the transition worked well for kaiji tang from younger to older, he didn't sound too old at all haha!!! just for quick comparison https://streamable.com/qi7hd
Yeah,But i'm Glad funi didn't stick to sabat's kid vegeta voice... it was really good decision from them!!!
Right, having Sabat voice Kid Vegeta again wouldn't be ideal especially when they switched to Laura Bailey for Kai. I mean, its still inconsistent having another actor for him in Super but it fits
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 am

funrush wrote:Really glad they dubbed the ending. If you're gonna translate a show, why wouldn't you translate the whole thing?

I agree that titles should keep "God of Destruction." Destroyer works in the dub because it fits mouth flaps better, but it should be GoD in written form.
While I appreciate when they dub the songs, they always do it in far poorer quality than the original song. In this instance I can barely hear what they are saying because it seems poorly mixed.

If it's not as good as the original musically, I'd rather just hear the original.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:50 am

This rip seems to be clearer than the first one posted:
https://youtu.be/eR40XUVOcvc

I think it may be Sabat himself. "If I still were a kid" sounds a lot like his voice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:14 am

funrush wrote:Really glad they dubbed the ending. If you're gonna translate a show, why wouldn't you translate the whole thing?

I agree that titles should keep "God of Destruction." Destroyer works in the dub because it fits mouth flaps better, but it should be GoD in written form.
That's might be too confusing/ inconsistent to have titles suddenly say God of Destruction when it's never referred to in the show.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:33 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Right, having Sabat voice Kid Vegeta again wouldn't be ideal especially when they switched to Laura Bailey for Kai. I mean, its still inconsistent having another actor for him in Super but it fits
Honestly, considering that Bailey played him in Kai, I figured they would've got Tipton to do Kid Vegeta for Super, but I guess not...

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:25 am

^ Agreed, I would rather hear Alexis Tipton do Kid Vegetas voice since I prefer Laura's voice form Kai then the Super and Z VA's. Also consistency for both of them to sound similar as kids like Goku and Gohan with Coleen Clinkenbeard and Stephane Nadolny

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:55 am

El Diabeetus wrote:This rip seems to be clearer than the first one posted:
https://youtu.be/eR40XUVOcvc

I think it may be Sabat himself. "If I still were a kid" sounds a lot like his voice.
Didn't originally think of it, but Sabat singing it would make so much sense with the nostalgia angle the song has, even if it sounds a little different than the Japanese version in terms of where they chose to use backing vocals.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Man, at the beginning when Goku is talking to King Kai, Schemmel as that part of Goku down to a Tee right now, as seen last episode his screams are on point, cannot wait for Goku vs Beerus R2, especially curious how he handles the "ping ping" moment.

Sabat was on point as Vegeta this episode, after watching the promo looks like he is gonna deliver next week. Douglas was awesome as Beerus as per usual.

I actually really enjoyed this episode tbh, 6 episodes in and I am not getting that dragging feeling yet, but that rock paper scissors episode is right around the corner...

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Dragon Ball Super Episode 9 English Dub title is here!
"Thanks for Waiting, Lord Beerus; At Last, Super Saiyan God Is Born!"

Here are the Toei and Kanzenshuu titles.
Toei: "Sorry for the Wait, Beerus Sama. The Super Saiyan God Is Finally Born!" 
Kanzenshuu: "Sorry About the Wait, Beerus-sama — Finally, Super Saiyan God is Born!"
お待たせ、ビルス様 ついに超サイヤ人ゴッド誕生!

Really accurate, Getting Better FUNi!

Premiers March 4, 2017

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:27 pm

i dont understand why this is weekly when everywhere else in the world its daily. obviously in japan its weekly because they need to animate it but there no excuse for it to be weekly in the US. it misses the entire purpose of a shonen you know . kids who come back after school everyday to watch their favorite shows. this was the global ritual that brought dragon ball z into the spotlight. with this weekly they miss the kids audience and are left with the old fans.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:11 pm

You guys think by the end of this year we might get into Champa arc?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 pm

gohan_black wrote:i dont understand why this is weekly when everywhere else in the world its daily. obviously in japan its weekly because they need to animate it but there no excuse for it to be weekly in the US. it misses the entire purpose of a shonen you know . kids who come back after school everyday to watch their favorite shows. this was the global ritual that brought dragon ball z into the spotlight. with this weekly they miss the kids audience and are left with the old fans.
Actually no it's not daily everywhere else, in Portugal two episodes air every weekend and the same happens in South Asia.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
gohan_black wrote:i dont understand why this is weekly when everywhere else in the world its daily. obviously in japan its weekly because they need to animate it but there no excuse for it to be weekly in the US. it misses the entire purpose of a shonen you know . kids who come back after school everyday to watch their favorite shows. this was the global ritual that brought dragon ball z into the spotlight. with this weekly they miss the kids audience and are left with the old fans.
Actually no it's not daily everywhere else, in Portugal two episodes air every weekend and the same happens in South Asia.
its daily in my country and also dbz was

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
its daily in my country and also dbz was
In Portugal DBZ was also daily, but although I agree 1 per week is not enough for a dub I think 2 per week is the best since because of that there aren't any breaks due to not having more dubbed episodes, like what's happening in Italy right now.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Noah wrote:You guys think by the end of this year we might get into Champa arc?
Yes. I can't see Toonami only ordering 27 episodes while Super is a hot property, especially considering the episodes after that will most likely perform better being material the Funimation cast hasn't touched yet.

At best we will get to the beginning of the Future Trunks arc, at worst it will be a few episodes before that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm

FUNi solicits go up tomorrow here is hoping for Super and it's 23 eps like Kai.
Mid year the arc will start. Current trajectory is July.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:30 pm

You just have to do the math, with one episode per week episode 28 will air on July 9th.