"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:29 pm

I have no idea as to why Funimation are advertising Super & One Piece on the Simuldub section of their website.

https://www.funimation.com/simuldubs/

The trailer they released a few days back wasn't advertised as promoting their Simuldubs, but this is blatant. I remember Mike McFarland saying a One Piece Simuldub isn't impossible, but for obvious reasons, would be very, very difficult.

Now we know why Attack on Titan is also on their Simuldub page, as it will premiere on Toonami, and be just 4 weeks behind.

But as for DB & OP, I just don't know.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:I have no idea as to why Funimation are advertising Super & One Piece on the Simuldub section of their website.

https://www.funimation.com/simuldubs/

The trailer they released a few days back wasn't advertised as promoting their Simuldubs, but this is blatant. I remember Mike McFarland saying a One Piece Simuldub isn't impossible, but for obvious reasons, would be very, very difficult.

Now we know why Attack on Titan is also on their Simuldub page, as it will premiere on Toonami, and be just 4 weeks behind.

But as for DB & OP, I just don't know.
Who knows maybe they could be simudubing Dragon Ball, it is their biggest property after all.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I seriously doubt Toei would let them simuldub Super, considering how much importance they've put on TV deals.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:05 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:ere yesterday. So good on them and we should be happy for them. Adult Swim have done an April Fools ever chance it can. They used to air The Room every April Fools day. It's a tradition and calling it ridiculous is slightly over exaggerating it.
Sorry it is ridiculous they aired the same episode 6 times!! Also it isn't like how it was in the old days when Dragon Ball aired 5 times a week. It takes a year to be the same amount of episodes that would air in 2.5 months. This is another week added to the already ridiculous wait for the English Dub of the Black arc of Super which is inexcusable. If they wanted to do their stupid gag they could of just eliminated the back end of the block Naruto and Ghost in the Shell and no one would have cared.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:53 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Sorry it is ridiculous they aired the same episode 6 times!! Also it isn't like how it was in the old days when Dragon Ball aired 5 times a week. It takes a year to be the same amount of episodes that would air in 2.5 months. This is another week added to the already ridiculous wait for the English Dub of the Black arc of Super which is inexcusable. If they wanted to do their stupid gag they could of just eliminated the back end of the block Naruto and Ghost in the Shell and no one would have cared.
But if they put it there then no one would have seen it. I've since found out this was actually an idea by the creator of Rick and Morty. On his twitter he replied to a fan who demanded S3 by saying "What if I just suddenly aired it with no warning then" seems Adult Swim liked that idea. And back when DBZ was airing weekly it was already done in Japan. We're never going to get that kind of consistency again. And if you have anyone to blame for the "Inexcusable" wait. blame Toei for forcing Funimation to secure a TV deal. With that said, aside from simmuldubs this is the usual dub wait time. Most anime release in dub 1-2 years after they air in Japan. One Piece and Naruto are both 2-3 years behind their sub releases, I don't see any of their fans saying the wait is inexcusable. Attack On Titan and One Punch Man were both extremely waited on to be dubbed and took 1 year each, so much so AOT is the first suggestion when you google "Will there ever be a dub for...". This is simply the normal dub waiting time, nothing ridiculous or inexcusable about it.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:A sumuldub is practically impossible for DB unfortunately since the likes of Sean and Kyle don't live locally and I don't think the quality would be as good our only bet is if like Kai the BDs go ahead.
Who knows? In the credits for the Dragon Ball Super dub, they mention a recording studio in California for all of the episodes, so, it could Mabye happen.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:58 am

simtek34 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:A sumuldub is practically impossible for DB unfortunately since the likes of Sean and Kyle don't live locally and I don't think the quality would be as good our only bet is if like Kai the BDs go ahead.
Who knows? In the credits for the Dragon Ball Super dub, they mention a recording studio in California for all of the episodes, so, it could Mabye happen.
Hmm but would the quality be as good though? Currently the dub is benefiting from being behind, they can afford to take their time currently too. I dunno whether I would actually want a Simuldub now thinking about it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah fair enough, just annoyed that we only have Super weekly so a break like this puts us behind further.
You know what would really help, Toonami gets it prime time slot back, Funimation simudubs Super, and DBS airs every day until it catches. But that will never happen, I still think they should simudub Super, they hinted at it not too long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig8mBwpAPY4&app=desktop
A sumuldub is practically impossible for DB unfortunately since the likes of Sean and Kyle don't live locally and I don't think the quality would be as good our only bet is if like Kai the BDs go ahead.
Depending on when they get the episodes after they're completed for the animation, plus when they'd air, they could possibly set up recording sessions one week a month with Sean & Kyle, depending on who appears in the episodes, or if they have speaking lines. I know Goku's a staple of the franchise & King Kai occasionally appears, but with Kyle he might only need to spend a day or 2 there because of how little Gohan's appeared in the series so far. Then again, their recording sessions only last a few hours a day a piece, so who knows.
Then again, they might be fast-tracking the dub because of the possibility of the simuldub, but again, who knows.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:17 pm

You fail to address them just cutting the back end of the Toonami block and still airing Jack and Super which would of been a much smarter idea!!! Airing it 4 times would have been enough and we now live in a world where 2 times anyone who would of wanted to see it could of thanks to social media. I am sure most RandM fans knew it was on by the time the first airing ended. Hopefully AS ratings are down for their stupidity.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:20 pm

I highly doubt simuldub would not violate the terms of contact Toonami and Adult Swim have with Funimation. It would be surprising if this wasn't the case. However considering how their is no home media release date for Super yet, I think this is further evidence that Toonami and AS want the exclusivity of the premiere of each episode to them.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:I highly doubt simuldub would not violate the terms of contact Toonami and Adult Swim have with Funimation. It would be surprising if this wasn't the case. However considering how their is no home media release date for Super yet, I think this is further evidence that Toonami and AS want the exclusivity of the premiere of each episode to them.
It was highly speculated and publicised that Toei wanted a TV deal for Super. So I doubt it matters much what Toonami think.
rs_chaosmaster wrote:You fail to address them just cutting the back end of the Toonami block and still airing Jack and Super which would of been a much smarter idea!!! Airing it 4 times would have been enough and we now live in a world where 2 times anyone who would of wanted to see it could of thanks to social media. I am sure most RandM fans knew it was on by the time the first airing ended. Hopefully AS ratings are down for their stupidity.
It was April Fools and it's Adult Swim's channel. They have every right to do whatever the hell they want. It's just one week that Toonami would have found another way to skip anyway through a marathon or something. Maybe it's just the fact a game I waited 3 years for finally came out in English this week, but an additional seven day wait for an alternative language track on a year and a half old episode doesn't seem like something that warrants getting so angry about.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Can someone clarify something for me? Funis website says for the simul dub "Watch English-dubbed anime as soon as two weeks after its original Japanese broadcast". How is that possible? Theres no way the Funi dub is already up to episode 82.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:20 pm

DHM211 wrote:Can someone clarify something for me? Funis website says for the simul dub "Watch English-dubbed anime as soon as two weeks after its original Japanese broadcast". How is that possible? Theres no way the Funi dub is already up to episode 82.
That blurb is just their standard description for Broadcast Dubs. So far, it doesn't apply to Dragon Ball Super.

That's why people are so confused by Super appearing as a Simuldub on the website. In terms of what's been released, the dub is currently ~70 episodes behind, not to mention they also list One Piece as a Simuldub, and they're ~300 episodes behind on that dub.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Can someone clarify something for me? Funi's website says for the simuldub "Watch English-dubbed anime as soon as two weeks after its original Japanese broadcast". How is that possible? There's no way the Funi dub is already up to episode 82.
That blurb is just their standard description for Broadcast Dubs. So far, it doesn't apply to Dragon Ball Super.

That's why people are so confused by Super appearing as a simuldub on the website. In terms of what's been released, the dub is currently ~70 episodes behind, not to mention they also list One Piece as a simuldub, and they're ~300 episodes behind on that dub.
At most, it's probably in the planning stages for that. Since 2 main cast members of DB's dubs live in California, & one also does dubs for Viz Media, they'd need to get a bunch of episodes for them to dub translated & scripted so they can record their parts & have the audio techs edit the dialogue into the audio afterwards, then let them go home. Then have the other cast record their parts.
One Piece has been in talks for a simuldub for a while. It's basically in the same boat. Since Oda has a LOT of characters he loves to reuse when it makes sense, there's no telling who'd they need unless they got a cast list of characters from Toei before they start dubbing so they can call their non-Texas actors to get them booked to record. At this point, unless they set up telerecordings with Studiopolis or something, which could be done, look up James Arnold Taylor's YouTube account sometime, it's more logical for them to license multiple arcs at a time spanning over a hundred episodes to dub over the course of several months, then release o DVD, since they're not bound by the TV contract deal Super is, which could be another reason for the hold up with Super.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:49 pm

So how often do Toonami do Marathons? A Super mara could help speed things along especially if it comes in the, and I will try not to vomit, Freeza arc.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Scsigs wrote:Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece. All of these shows are ones I've heard others describe as having English dubs that are just as good, if not better, than the originals.
Even Watanabe says he prefers the English dub Spike Spiegel to the Japanese one and apparently one of the English voice actors claimed Yoko Kanno, series composer, said, "Our Spike, good. Your Spike, sexy!" from what I've read on TV Tropes.
Fullmetal Alchemist, the original, is looked at with such reverence in part thanks to the dub. Chris Sabat even said in his interview with Geekdom101 that it was a dub that happened at just the right time in just the right way.
One Piece's is subjective, as I've cited on this site myself about Colleen's Luffy getting irritating to some.
For bonus points, Miyazaki has even given his praise of the English dub of Ponyo by Disney
I've seen all of these shows & heard their dubs. I am a connoisseur of dubs & only really look up clips of the subs if I feel curious, or wanna see a certain scene. All opinions are subjective, but this is one of the best dub jobs I've seen. For a series that, for the first 2 arcs, could've just been given autopilot performances by its returning actors, I'm glad they're putting all they have into it, even when the first arc is paced really badly in places to pad it out.
I know that we all have our opinions and all, but just because the creator said he thinks his work sounds better in another language, doesn't mean everyone has to think the same way. I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer watching Cowboy Bebop in Japanese. Yeah, the dub's great and all, but most of the time I prefer hearing the dulcet tones of Yamadera and Hayashibara over Blum and Lee. I never understood this whole idea that it doesn't make sense for characters speaking Japanese because a series is Western inspired. Well, of course, it doesn't make sense for them speaking Japanese because it's a fucking cartoon. I don't think anyone's ever bashed Ghost in the Shell's English dubs because the series take place in Japan.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece. All of these shows are ones I've heard others describe as having English dubs that are just as good, if not better, than the originals.
Even Watanabe says he prefers the English dub Spike Spiegel to the Japanese one and apparently one of the English voice actors claimed Yoko Kanno, series composer, said, "Our Spike, good. Your Spike, sexy!" from what I've read on TV Tropes.
Fullmetal Alchemist, the original, is looked at with such reverence in part thanks to the dub. Chris Sabat even said in his interview with Geekdom101 that it was a dub that happened at just the right time in just the right way.
One Piece's is subjective, as I've cited on this site myself about Colleen's Luffy getting irritating to some.
For bonus points, Miyazaki has even given his praise of the English dub of Ponyo by Disney
I've seen all of these shows & heard their dubs. I am a connoisseur of dubs & only really look up clips of the subs if I feel curious, or wanna see a certain scene. All opinions are subjective, but this is one of the best dub jobs I've seen. For a series that, for the first 2 arcs, could've just been given autopilot performances by its returning actors, I'm glad they're putting all they have into it, even when the first arc is paced really badly in places to pad it out.
I know that we all have our opinions and all, but just because the creator said he thinks his work sounds better in another language, doesn't mean everyone has to think the same way. I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer watching Cowboy Bebop in Japanese. Yeah, the dub's great and all, but most of the time I prefer hearing the dulcet tones of Yamadera and Hayashibara over Blum and Lee. I never understood this whole idea that it doesn't make sense for characters speaking Japanese because a series is Western inspired. Well, of course, it doesn't make sense for them speaking Japanese because it's a fucking cartoon. I don't think anyone's ever bashed Ghost in the Shell's English dubs because the series take place in Japan.
You have misunderstood Scsigs post, s/he is not saying that everyone has to accept Bebop dub is better s/he was responding to a comment where somebody said that original is better no matter what and Scsigs was simply giving examples where the majority of opinion is that dub of X show is better.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Scsigs wrote: Even Watanabe says he prefers the English dub Spike Spiegel to the Japanese one
This is actually a rumor that's been spread around for a while. Research it yourself if you don't believe me. There's no record of Watanabe saying he prefers the English dub or English Spike.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:03 pm

I used to see a rumor that Toriyama prefers the Funimation dub of DB because he likes the more serious take.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:31 pm

I think Bansho has a point. I can't find any interview where Watanabe states such a thing.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.