"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 08, 2017 10:52 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:any reason for the old VA not voicing her?
There is no new VA, Cranz still voices Chi-Chi, but she's either taken a new approach or her voice has changed. I'm not a fan, it sounds identical to the sarcastic tone of someone I used to know, and that makes it all kinds of weird to listen to.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 11:49 pm

Is it just me or Whis' voice too deep in the dub? I'm so used to Japanese Whis being high pitched that I think his dub voice should be higher too. Otherwise it's a good fitting voice for him.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 pm

Wow i would love this, I loved her as Yume in Grimgar and her performance in Fairy Tail Zero was phenomenal as Zera. I could totally see her owning this character and making Pan so much more enjoyable along with a better characterization provided by Toyataro and Toriyama post Z

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue May 09, 2017 12:17 am

Bajosexto wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bajosexto wrote: Yeah, I think I'm misunderstanding the meaning of 1:1. What exactly does 1:1 mean?
A 1:1 translation would be a translation that's perfectly representative of the source. 1:1 is a ratio, it simply means "equivalent"
Then I do think dubs should be 1:1 adaptations.
Expecting a dub to be 1:1 is an impossibility. There are too many factors that work against such a thing existing.

What *is* reasonable to expect is a product that respects the original source material but also adapts it in a way so that it works in an entirely different language. It isn't perfectly exactly the same but the same experience is shared.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue May 09, 2017 12:19 am

Gonstead wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: A 1:1 translation would be a translation that's perfectly representative of the source. 1:1 is a ratio, it simply means "equivalent"
Then I do think dubs should be 1:1 adaptations.
Expecting a dub to be 1:1 is an impossibility. There are too many factors that work against such a thing existing.
Why is it impossible? What are these factors?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 am

Bajosexto wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
Bajosexto wrote: Then I do think dubs should be 1:1 adaptations.
Cultural incongruities, lip flaps, etc.

Basically, not much. Just enough to make excuses for them when they don't.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:47 am

Did you guys know Sony and Univeral Pictures may be looking to buy Funimation? But it's mainly to accquire the Dragon Ball Franchise.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 09, 2017 1:08 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Did you guys know Sony and Univeral Pictures may be looking to buy Funimation? But it's mainly to accquire the Dragon Ball Franchise.
I don't know why you assume DB is their priority, but I had heard the news. No need to worry about it though, we wouldn't see any immediate change.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:16 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Did you guys know Sony and Univeral Pictures may be looking to buy Funimation? But it's mainly to accquire the Dragon Ball Franchise.
I don't know why you assume DB is their priority, but I had heard the news. No need to worry about it though, we wouldn't see any immediate change.
I didn't assume that what it says in most of the articles I'm reading. Of course they want the other properties too, but I'm sure DB is that property their keeping a hawks eye on.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 09, 2017 1:21 am

precita wrote:Is it just me or Whis' voice too deep in the dub? I'm so used to Japanese Whis being high pitched that I think his dub voice should be higher too. Otherwise it's a good fitting voice for him.
Ian Sinclair's doing a great job, no need to change it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 09, 2017 1:45 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Sony isn't in a great spot right now so if anything happens to them they'll take Funimation down with them which will be the worst thing to happen to anime here in America.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue May 09, 2017 2:09 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
Gonstead wrote: Expecting a dub to be 1:1 is an impossibility. There are too many factors that work against such a thing existing.
Cultural incongruities, lip flaps, etc.

Basically, not much. Just enough to make excuses for them when they don't.
You can still have faithful and accurate dubs even with cultural incongruities. I get that the dub scripts can't be a literal translation of the original because it wouldn't sound natural, it wouldn't fit the lip flaps and it would be too wordy and unnecessary. What I don't agree with is the idea that a dub shouldn't be a 1:1 adaptation. A dub, at least to me, should be the exact same show/movie but in my native language. When I watch Terminator 2(one of my favorite movies)dubbed in Latin Spanish, I expect it to be a 1:1 adaptation. Or as close as possible to the original. Now, I've never watched T2 in English so I don't know how accurate the Latin American dub is. But I expect it to be as accurate as possible. Because like I said, I want to watch Terminator 2 in my native language. Not some cheap re-imagining with unfaithful dialogue and replace score. I bring this up because I've read a lot of comments were fans don't want the (English)dub to be a 1:1 adaptation of the original. And I don't get it. Maybe it's a cultural thing. 90% of the shows/cartoons/movies I comsume are dubbed. That's why I want them to be as accurate as possible. Or maybe I'm just a purist who expects too much from dubs. Probably the latter.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am

Can someone please tell me If Android 18 has her original voice back or is it Kai's one?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 am

jeffbr92 wrote:This scene in this dub was so much better than the original! Goku doesn't look annoying was he was in that episode with Nozawa performance, but I don't like Chichi new voice, any reason for the old VA not voicing her?
It's the same voice.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 am

Bajosexto wrote: You can still have faithful and accurate dubs even with cultural incongruities. I get that the dub scripts can't be a literal translation of the original because it wouldn't sound natural, it wouldn't fit the lip flaps and it would be too wordy and unnecessary. What I don't agree with is the idea that a dub shouldn't be a 1:1 adaptation. A dub, at least to me, should be the exact same show/movie but in my native language. When I watch Terminator 2(one of my favorite movies)dubbed in Latin Spanish, I expect it to be a 1:1 adaptation. Or as close as possible to the original. Now, I've never watched T2 in English so I don't know how accurate the Latin American dub is. But I expect it to be as accurate as possible. Because like I said, I want to watch Terminator 2 in my native language. Not some cheap re-imagining with unfaithful dialogue and replace score. I bring this up because I've read a lot of comments were fans don't want the (English)dub to be a 1:1 adaptation of the original. And I don't get it. Maybe it's a cultural thing. 90% of the shows/cartoons/movies I comsume are dubbed. That's why I want them to be as accurate as possible. Or maybe I'm just a purist who expects too much from dubs. Probably the latter.
Who is saying they don't want the dub to accurate? Not wanting the show to be exactly 1:1 for reasons you stated in your first sentence does not mean we don't want it to be accurate. For example, Goku was an annoying prick in #17 in the original Japanese and Goku was still an annoying prick in #17 in the English dub, they both may have had differing dialogue etc but they both still conveyed the same thing.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 09, 2017 11:59 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Can someone please tell me If Android 18 has her original voice back or is it Kai's one?
It's Colleen Clinkenbeard. The same women who voiced her in Kai.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Can someone please tell me If Android 18 has her original voice back or is it Kai's one?
Its Meredith McCoy.
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/11 ... all-super/

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 12:08 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Its Meredith McCoy.
Thank kami. I loved her performance as 18. Wasn't too fond of the Kai one.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Its Meredith McCoy.
Oops. Confused Kai for Super.

My bad. :shifty:

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue May 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bajosexto wrote: You can still have faithful and accurate dubs even with cultural incongruities. I get that the dub scripts can't be a literal translation of the original because it wouldn't sound natural, it wouldn't fit the lip flaps and it would be too wordy and unnecessary. What I don't agree with is the idea that a dub shouldn't be a 1:1 adaptation. A dub, at least to me, should be the exact same show/movie but in my native language. When I watch Terminator 2(one of my favorite movies)dubbed in Latin Spanish, I expect it to be a 1:1 adaptation. Or as close as possible to the original. Now, I've never watched T2 in English so I don't know how accurate the Latin American dub is. But I expect it to be as accurate as possible. Because like I said, I want to watch Terminator 2 in my native language. Not some cheap re-imagining with unfaithful dialogue and replace score. I bring this up because I've read a lot of comments were fans don't want the (English)dub to be a 1:1 adaptation of the original. And I don't get it. Maybe it's a cultural thing. 90% of the shows/cartoons/movies I comsume are dubbed. That's why I want them to be as accurate as possible. Or maybe I'm just a purist who expects too much from dubs. Probably the latter.
Who is saying they don't want the dub to accurate? Not wanting the show to be exactly 1:1 for reasons you stated in your first sentence does not mean we don't want it to be accurate. For example, Goku was an annoying prick in #17 in the original Japanese and Goku was still an annoying prick in #17 in the English dub, they both may have had differing dialogue etc but they both still conveyed the same thing.
No one. I'm saying that I want a 1:1 dub and that English dub fans don't.