"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:54 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Didn't think this was worth making a topic for, but I've been watching just YouTube clips of the dub and is it just me or is Sabat back to making Vegeta sound gravelly again like he did pre-Kai? I guess I felt the same way in the BoG movie and then he was fine in RoF. I determined it was more due to the fact that Vegeta is basically just yelling for the entire BoG arc whether it be in the movie or anime and he doesn't really have many calm lines. I dunno, am I just crazy?
He sounds how he did in Kai
Maybe I'm just crazy. Guess I'll wait for the RoF arc to listen when he has some "calmer" lines and then judge

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Who is saying they don't want the dub to accurate? Not wanting the show to be exactly 1:1 for reasons you stated in your first sentence does not mean we don't want it to be accurate. For example, Goku was an annoying prick in #17 in the original Japanese and Goku was still an annoying prick in #17 in the English dub, they both may have had differing dialogue etc but they both still conveyed the same thing.
No one. I'm saying that I want a 1:1 dub and that English dub fans don't.
I don't think you should expect every dub to be 100% accurate in translation and voices.
Maybe not 100%. But as accurate as possible without sounding unnatural and literal.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Forte224 wrote:Didn't think this was worth making a topic for, but I've been watching just YouTube clips of the dub and is it just me or is Sabat back to making Vegeta sound gravelly again like he did pre-Kai? I guess I felt the same way in the BoG movie and then he was fine in RoF. I determined it was more due to the fact that Vegeta is basically just yelling for the entire BoG arc whether it be in the movie or anime and he doesn't really have many calm lines. I dunno, am I just crazy?
Glad to know that i'm not the only one that noticed! My favorite version of Sabat's Vegeta voice was his voice in the DBZ Saiyan/Namek/Frieza saga remastered re-dub. I just like a heavier-voiced Vegeta, it just makes him sound more intimidating and tough imo.

Just listen to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMbewD4nYZI

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by MagmonKai » Thu May 11, 2017 7:35 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Glad to know that i'm not the only one that noticed! My favorite version of Sabat's Vegeta voice was his voice in the DBZ Saiyan/Namek/Frieza saga remastered re-dub. I just like a heavier-voiced Vegeta, it just makes him sound more intimidating and tough imo.

Just listen to it:
Damn, how come they don't have blood like that in today's show. I miss that grungy look of the Old DBZ!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:37 pm

superfan2024 wrote:

Just listen to it:
My favorite version of Sabat's Vegeta is Kai. The link you posted is more what I'm hearing in Super's dub. Not completely but to a degree. I'm not a fan of that one personally

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:

Just listen to it:
Damn, how come they don't have blood like that in today's show. I miss that grungy look of the Old DBZ!
Because Dragon Ball Z aired at 7:30pm instead of 9:00am so Z could get away with a whole lot more than Super.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by MagmonKai » Thu May 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:

Just listen to it:
Because Dragon Ball Z aired at 7:30pm instead of 9:00am so Z could get away with a whole lot more than Super.
Was that the old Japanese time slot or Toonami? And why is Dragon ball Super on at 9am anyway?

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:10 am

MagmonKai wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:
Was that the old Japanese time slot or Toonami? And why is Dragon ball Super on at 9am anyway?
Japanese. And maybe it's because Dragon Ball is a kids show? Why would it not air Sunday morning?

Toonami are having a Samurai Jack marathon on the 27th, 11pm-4am. So expect no Kai or Super that week. I'm more annoyed due to Attack On Titan episode 6 was supposed to air on the 27th, and if anyone has been watching they know why I'm upset episode 6 won't premiere on Toonami. That one episode could get Toonami massive rating and trending all over twitter.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Because Dragon Ball Z aired at 7:30pm instead of 9:00am so Z could get away with a whole lot more than Super.
Japanese. And maybe it's because Dragon Ball is a kids show? Why would it not air Sunday morning?

Toonami are having a Samurai Jack marathon on the 27th, 11pm-4am. So expect no Kai or Super that week. I'm more annoyed due to Attack On Titan episode 6 was supposed to air on the 27th, and if anyone has been watching they know why I'm upset episode 6 won't premiere on Toonami. That one episode could get Toonami massive rating and trending all over twitter.
Actually, it has to do with several factors. Kai got the 9:00 timeslot after what was previously airing there prior to it (if someone knows, please share) in a timeslot right before One Piece. Toriko took aver the slot after it & had its first episode be a crossover with One Piece, which carried over into that week's One Piece episode as well. They did the same thing again at a later date, most probably as a ratings stunt, given how the show & manga ended up. After the Toriko anime was cancelled, Toei quickly needed something to fill the timeslot or Fuji TV would give it to another company, so they showed an even more cut down version of Kai: TFC, allowing Toei to not only catch new viewers up on the events of the Buu Saga, but it set up Super over a year later. Super just inherited the timeslot from Kai. This has always happened with DB. The original series inherited its slot from Dr. Slump, then Z got the slot, then GT, then another Dr. Slump series after it. Simple.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Because Dragon Ball Z aired at 7:30pm instead of 9:00am so Z could get away with a whole lot more than Super.

Dragon Ball Super will still air at 8pm that night like it usually does, it just won't air on Toonami that night because of the marathon. That probably means that the week after the Jack marathon, they'll rerun the episode that aired at 8pm on the night of the Jack marathon in both the 8pm and 11:30pm timeslots before moving on with the next Super episode at both timeslots the week after. That means that now its going to take us even longer to get to the Universe 6 arc even if it is only an extra week of waiting
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 6:20 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Dragon Ball Super will still air at 8pm that night like it usually does, it just won't air on Toonami that night because of the marathon. That probably means that the week after the Jack marathon, they'll rerun that week's Super in both the 8pm and 11:30pm timeslot before moving on with the next Super episode at both timeslots a week after. That means that now its going to take us even longer to get to the Universe 6 arc even if it is only an extra week of waiting
Shit, so either way we gonna lose a week then. So 2 weeks behind on the retellings? Not good.

But TV listings list ep20 airing 27/5 and ep21 airing 3/6, so a chance the 8pm will continue as normal? Since the 8pm slot is Adult Swim and not Toonami could be a possibility no?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri May 12, 2017 6:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Dragon Ball Super will still air at 8pm that night like it usually does, it just won't air on Toonami that night because of the marathon. That probably means that the week after the Jack marathon, they'll rerun that week's Super in both the 8pm and 11:30pm timeslot before moving on with the next Super episode at both timeslots a week after. That means that now its going to take us even longer to get to the Universe 6 arc even if it is only an extra week of waiting
Shit, so either way we gonna lose a week then. So 2 weeks behind on the retellings? Not good.

But TV listings list ep20 airing 27/5 and ep21 airing 3/6, so a chance the 8pm will continue as normal? Since the 8pm slot is Adult Swim and not Toonami could be a possibility no?
It very well could be but if that is going to happen, that will be horrible for Toonami because then they'll just be rerunning the previous week's 8pm Super making them always a week behind it. Where can you see the TV listings for June 3rd because I'm not seeing them anywhere
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 6:58 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

It very well could be but if that is going to happen, that will be horrible for Toonami because then they'll just be rerunning the previous week's 8pm Super making them always a week behind it. Where can you see the TV listings for June 3rd because I'm not seeing them anywhere
Here:
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/dragon- ... aid=zap2it

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri May 12, 2017 7:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Shit, so either way we gonna lose a week then. So 2 weeks behind on the retellings? Not good.

Here:
Thats strange, its only going up to the 20th. Maybe they changed it since you last saw it but either way, the Adult Swim schedule will update tomorrow with the June 3rd schedule so we'll find out soon. If it is showing up for you, send a picture

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 7:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: It very well could be but if that is going to happen, that will be horrible for Toonami because then they'll just be rerunning the previous week's 8pm Super making them always a week behind it. Where can you see the TV listings for June 3rd because I'm not seeing them anywhere
Here:
Thats strange, its only going up to the 20th. Maybe they changed it since you last saw it but either way, the Adult Swim schedule will update tomorrow with the June 3rd schedule so we'll find out soon. If it is showing up for you, send a picture
Huh weird it's not showing up for you: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri May 12, 2017 8:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Huh weird it's not showing up for you: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh, I clicked on upcoming episodes and didn't see it, didn't know that it was in the Episode Guide. I wouldn't take this as fact though because it lists Episode 13 as airing on April 1st when it didn't because it ended up being preempted by Rick and Morty so I feel like it will be reran on the week after it's premiere in both timeslots

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:41 am

Scsigs wrote:This has always happened with DB. The original series inherited its slot from Dr. Slump, then Z got the slot, then GT, then another Dr. Slump series after it. Simple.
And hell, One Piece inherited the 90s Dr. Slump timeslot! But then in 2007 it got moved to Sunday mornings.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Dragon Ball Super will in fact air a new episode at 8pm the week after the Jack marathon. That is horrible for Toonami, they're going to be behind the unadvertised airing of one of their most popular shows

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 13, 2017 5:06 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Dragon Ball Super will in fact air a new episode at 8pm the week after the Jack marathon. That is horrible for Toonami, they're going to be behind the unadvertised airing of one of their most popular shows
Surely they must have been aware? Maybe it was a calculated risk on their part to have the marathon, or perhaps they will skip the week after and be on par with the 8pm showing?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Or the weekend after Jack ends they'll play 20 & 21 from 11-12.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]