"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:40 am

Danfun64 wrote:youtube clip plz? Also, I'm hoping that isn't a real line. It doesn't sound like the kind of thing Freeza would ever say. I doubt even TFS Freeza would ever say that.
Here is the actual line
"Hell was a womb and the dream of vengeance my umbilical. Now I am reborn and will suckle the sweet milk of victory."

If you want to check just look up episode 20 English dub online. It's at the very end of the episode when Frieza is landing on Earth.
Yep that's it, lmao.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:52 am

Scsigs wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:That line about Frieza suckeling the tits of victory lmao
youtube clip plz? Also, I'm hoping that isn't a real line. It doesn't sound like the kind of thing Freeza would ever say. I doubt even TFS Freeza would ever say that.
Here's a crazy, radical idea...Why don't you look up a clip yourself? I never understood why people don't just look for things themselves in these kinds of cases rather than asking other people.
Why do you have to be so rude and snarky to everyone? This type of stuff will end up getting you banned
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:04 am

Scsigs wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:That line about Frieza suckeling the tits of victory lmao
youtube clip plz? Also, I'm hoping that isn't a real line. It doesn't sound like the kind of thing Freeza would ever say. I doubt even TFS Freeza would ever say that.
Here's a crazy, radical idea...Why don't you look up a clip yourself? I never understood why people don't just look for things themselves in these kinds of cases rather than asking other people.
Calm down Zamasu and make us some tea.

Anyway on topic....looking forward to the next episode. The performances have been great IMO
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:17 am

Scsigs wrote:Here's a crazy, radical idea...Why don't you look up a clip yourself? I never understood why people don't just look for things themselves in these kinds of cases rather than asking other people.
While there's nothing inherently wrong with the sentiment, you could have found another, less snarky way way to phrase that.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Calm down Zamasu and make us some tea.
Don't add fuel to the fire. If you have nothing to add but more snark, ask yourself whether the comment truly needed to be made.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:30 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Don't add fuel to the fire. If you have nothing to add but more snark, ask yourself whether the comment truly needed to be made.
Apologies, that came out as rude when it wasn't intended to be more than a little joke. Only posting to let you know its been noted.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:29 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Here's a crazy, radical idea...Why don't you look up a clip yourself? I never understood why people don't just look for things themselves in these kinds of cases rather than asking other people.
While there's nothing inherently wrong with the sentiment, you could have found another, less snarky way way to phrase that.
Yeah, it's just my personal thoughts on this very thing coming to the surface, sorry. It's just that some things should be common sense to do. This isn't the first time I've seen things like that & I doubt it'll be the last.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Danfun64 wrote: youtube clip plz? Also, I'm hoping that isn't a real line. It doesn't sound like the kind of thing Freeza would ever say. I doubt even TFS Freeza would ever say that.
Why do you have to be so rude and snarky to everyone? This type of stuff will end up getting you banned.
I like to think I try to add more to most conversations on this site than I don't. If it doesn't seem like that, I guess I'm not wording my replies right. If I say something like, "have some faith" in something, I'm trying to be positive about a situation, or if I say something like when I'm actually refuting an argument, I like to see that as healthy discussion. It's only with the really dumb posts that I feel the need to turn up my snark a bit. In that instance specifically, if I were curious about how a scene went in DB, I'd immediately go to a place like YouTube to look up a clip, since there's a lot of them. I've done it before for subbed clips of Super to see how some scenes played out in episodes I haven't watched yet because I'm specifically waiting for the dub. I would, generally, think most other people would do the same, but I guess not. If the admins do have a serious problem with my posts, all they'd have to is let me know & I'll tone it down, but again, I'd like to think I add more to most conversations than not. Feel free to disagree if you do, no skin off my bones.

Also, & please don't take this the wrong way, I feel sometimes people read my posts in the wrong way. I get that it's incredibly difficult to tell tone & meaning through a quick response without some level of explanation in text form, but most of my posts that are maybe seen as negative aren't always meant to be such. It just differs from when I'm typing them to when someone reads them.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:59 pm

So DBZ_Lee came up with an interesting theory, that the retellings AKA Season 1 of Dragon Ball Super has exclusive rights to air on Toonami but after that FUNi are free to upload dubbed episodes on FUNiNow. This explains why the initial press release only mentions Season 1 airing on Toonami, and why Marsters was working on Super since Dec, well before XV2 DLC announcement, why Sabat cannot discuss the Black arc, why Fornever world were hyping over FUNiNow (I know they were sponsored but they were hyping specifically about DB), why Vale has suddenly become active on Facebook again updated his cover to Trunks, Goku and Vegeta. Remember FUNi started the dub at least back in July of last year.

Something is brewing and we will probably find out at AX.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Hmm, Tagoma sounds great.
:clap:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Yomi wrote:Hmm, Tagoma sounds great.
Pretty sure it was the same guy that voiced him in RF.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So DBZ_Lee came up with an interesting theory, that the retellings AKA Season 1 of Dragon Ball Super has exclusive rights to air on Toonami but after that FUNi are free to upload dubbed episodes on FUNiNow. This explains why the initial press release only mentions Season 1 airing on Toonami, and why Marsters was working on Super since Dec, well before XV2 DLC announcement, why Sabat cannot discuss the Black arc, why Forneverworld were hyping over FUNiNow (I know they were sponsored but they were hyping specifically about DB), why Vale has suddenly become active on Facebook again updated his cover to Trunks, Goku and Vegeta. Remember FUNi started the dub at least back in July of last year.

Something is brewing and we will probably find out at AX.
That would be cool, but I have a feeling that this might not be entirely what they're gonna do. Plus, remember, Toonami isn't airing Super, they're airing Kai, unless it's going to move there from its 11:30 timeslot after TFC ends its airing next year. Adult Swim's airing Super. Remember, they apparently need a TV airing contract in place to dub future DB shows, so it's probably going to continue to air on TV at the very least & get physical home releases, as it already is. However, the point about them putting episodes they've already dubbed that won't air for a while on their streaming service would make sense for both those who don't have cable, but do subscribe to online streaming services, from a business standpoint. Give everyone a chance to watch the show dubbed that's interested.
As for your pointing out that the actors have already recorded the dub, that happens a lot for televised dubs before home releases happen. They need to get everything recorded & mixed for the airings. It's not like South Park, there needs to be the voices recorded well in advance of the airings. Doubly so with Xenoverse 2, since that's a video game & the voices need to be programmed in beforehand.
As for why Sabat can't say to much about the Black arc's dub, that's because of NDA's forbidding him to speak about it until the episodes come out. It was the same thing with Kai TFC's dub & what's most likely causing TFS to keep quiet on their parts, despite their recordings getting out anyways. It's obvious that they've recorded well into the Future Trunks Arc, if not further, but they can't discuss it until the episodes start airing.
I also think that someone told me that the whole "Season" thing is for marketing purposes, since it's apparently the first 26 episodes rather than 27 that fills it here in the US, so that's why the press release says "season 1," that's how they market it.
I'm not trying to be negative here, just furthering the discussion.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:08 pm

How was tonight's episode?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Did Roshi say "shit" when the Frieza soldier was putting his hand over his face while he was talking to Krillin?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:03 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Did Roshi say "shit" when the Frieza soldier was putting his hand over his face while he was talking to Krillin?
I didn't hear anything.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:08 am

MagmonKai wrote:How was tonight's episode?

Pretty good. Similar to the movie with some added lines.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:49 am

The comradery among the Turtle Hermit school and Z Warriors really sets this show above the film for me. I didn't feel it at all in ROF.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:44 am

I can't stop saying it, the dub makes this show so much better.

Of course, this is right before the ROF arc animation debacle. Let's see how 23 and 24 come out. These episodes weren't fixed for the blue rays, so expect the same shitty animation as we got back in the original Fuji TV run in 2015.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:43 am

Hit!! wrote:I can't stop saying it, the dub makes this show so much better.

Of course, this is right before the ROF arc animation debacle. Let's see how 23 and 24 come out. These episodes weren't fixed for the blue rays, so expect the same shitty animation as we got back in the original Fuji TV run in 2015.
After episode 22, the art/animation began to take a turn to the worst in the arc with only a few decent scenes in between. Episode 27 was ok, but the art was really hard to look at in some scenes.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:03 am

Absolutely. I was just about to come here to say that. I've always been a dub fan but watching the retellings in sub was a chore and extremely boring. Now I'm actually invested and can enjoy it even though I know what happens.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:38 am

superfan2024 wrote:

After episode 22, the art/animation began to take a turn to the worst in the arc with only a few decent scenes in between. Episode 27 was ok, but the art was really hard to look at in some scenes.
Episodes 21 - 26, visually speaking, is some of the worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced. And it's only salvaged by the fact it's arguably better written than the movie and Tate's awesomeness in episode 26.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:44 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Episodes 21 - 26, visually speaking, is some of the worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced. And it's only salvaged by the fact it's arguably better written than the movie and Tate's awesomeness in episode 26.
Episodes 21-23 are not visually awful, at least not in the "worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced". The animation only nose drives in Episode 24-26.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.