"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Daisetsu » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 am

Asura wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Asura wrote:How come I can't find any episodes of the Funi dub online that are in 1080p? No matter where I look everything is 720p, even from official sources like adultswim. What gives?
Because that's the max definition & resolution the episodes are broadcasted in. If you want the episodes to be in 1080p, you'll need to wait to find Blu-Ray rips, or sync the dub audio to 1080p Japanese Blu-Ray rips yourself, or maybe find someone who's doing just that, sorry.
I don't get it though, I can instantly watch the latest sub episode of Super in 1080p the day it comes out, but all the episodes which have existed for over a year now are being broadcasted in 720p for the dub? Why is this?
Because, as far as I know, Cartoon Network (and, by extension, Adult Swim) only broadcasts at 720p. Even then, is the show even produced at 1080? I swear that, even these days, it's pretty rare for a long-running anime to have a resolution any higher than 720.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 am

MR.Mark wrote:Actually I did correct you as you initially posted the wrong clip, but anyway I'll give them another listen.
Oh, corrected me over that. Yeah, I forgot about that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:51 am

Asura wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Asura wrote:How come I can't find any episodes of the Funi dub online that are in 1080p? No matter where I look everything is 720p, even from official sources like adultswim. What gives?
Because that's the max definition & resolution the episodes are broadcasted in. If you want the episodes to be in 1080p, you'll need to wait to find Blu-Ray rips, or sync the dub audio to 1080p Japanese Blu-Ray rips yourself, or maybe find someone who's doing just that, sorry.
I don't get it though, I can instantly watch the latest sub episode of Super in 1080p the day it comes out, but all the episodes which have existed for over a year now are being broadcasted in 720p for the dub? Why is this?
That's just how TV broadcasting is for every station. Due to restrictions in current broadcasting technology, TV stations are limited to 720p, or 1080i (which is an equivalent to 720p, but interlaced, which isn't nearly as good as progressive scan. Go ahead & try to watch Star Trek DS9 or Voyager on Netflix. Those episodes were mastered at 480i & you can feel it, due to the picture being jittery at moments, particularly when a background like the Voyager sickbay is shown). Only on streaming platforms & home media can you get true 1080p on a TV screen.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:38 am

DHM211 wrote:Not sure if it's been pointed out, but some additional lines of Frieza have been re-dubbed for the blu-ray. I'm not positive, but it sounds like Daman Mills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JINTM ... e=youtu.be
Wow, if that is indeed Daman Mills, I'm impressed.
Other than the laugh and the annotation of a few words, he sounds exactly like Chris Ayres.
"Oh dear...."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:48 am

Kogu 87 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Not sure if it's been pointed out, but some additional lines of Frieza have been re-dubbed for the blu-ray. I'm not positive, but it sounds like Daman Mills.

Wow, if that is indeed Daman Mills, I'm impressed.
Other than the laugh and the annotation of a few words, he sounds exactly like Chris Ayres.
I like Daman Mills as Frieza, but it's odd they've inserted Daman's recording instead of using Chris's here.

Unless they're easing people in to get used to Daman - my theory is that they know Chris sadly won't be able to record in time for the Universe Survival Arc, so adding an extra scene or two on the Blu Ray is just another way of showing how close Daman is to Chris.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:54 am

Funimation have been taking way too many creative liberties with their dubs lately. I feel the only two shows that are still at top quality of dubbing are My Hero Academia and One Piece. The quality of adaption for Funi is really going down with every week a seemingly new scandal breaking out due to a change of character or controversial script change. Maybe the stress of Simuldubbing is finally getting to them. I honestly wish they'd stop getting so many licenses cause the quality of dub scripts are getting lower. They have a great talent pool, but their adaptive writing team badly needs some work.

It's kinda obvious a lot of bloopers have become parts of Super's final copy, tractor line mainly. I met Sarah Williams from Aniplex on the weekend and she mentioned how the Aniplex dubs always made them do Bloopers for Con and DVD purposes, Funimation used to do this too. Funi should make creative and funny lines for Blooper reals again and stop inserting them into the episodes final product. Danganronpa 3 had a famous one which is STILL in the final product.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:15 am

Sounds like Daman Mills to me.

Is it just a couple of lines? I find it odd that if they were redubbing Freeza's lines they wouldn't redub all of them in this arc or at least a full episode featuring Mills for consistency.

Kinda disappointing honestly. I like Mills, but I also enjoyed Ayre's lines and would have liked to have had the uncut broadcast episodes left as is, at least for the initial home release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Funimation have been taking way too many creative liberties with their dubs lately. I feel the only two shows that are still at top quality of dubbing are My Hero Academia and One Piece. The quality of adaption for Funi is really going down with every week a seemingly new scandal breaking out due to a change of character or controversial script change. Maybe the stress of Simuldubbing is finally getting to them. I honestly wish they'd stop getting so many licenses cause the quality of dub scripts are getting lower. They have a great talent pool, but their adaptive writing team badly needs some work.

It's kinda obvious a lot of bloopers have become parts of Super's final copy, tractor line mainly. I met Sarah Williams from Aniplex on the weekend and she mentioned how the Aniplex dubs always made them do Bloopers for Con and DVD purposes, Funimation used to do this too. Funi should make creative and funny lines for Blooper reals again and stop inserting them into the episodes final product. Danganronpa 3 had a famous one which is STILL in the final product.
One Piece's writing team features probably some of the best writers at FUNi so it's no doubt that they're clearly the best. Not to say that Jared Hedges isn't a good adaptive script writer because nowadays he's really at the top of his game, but Clint Bickham and the One Piece writing team, who are all mostly caught up with the manga, are the best at their craft and theres a reason why they've been writing the show since the Davy Back Fight arc. I feel like the Super dub would benefit from switching writers once the Goku Black arc starts, J Michael Tatum and Patrick Seitz' writing is made for that arc and I hope that John Burgmeier realizes that, especially with the lines that Goku Black Rosé and Zamasu have
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Funimation have been taking way too many creative liberties with their dubs lately. I feel the only two shows that are still at top quality of dubbing are My Hero Academia and One Piece. The quality of adaption for Funi is really going down with every week a seemingly new scandal breaking out due to a change of character or controversial script change. Maybe the stress of Simuldubbing is finally getting to them. I honestly wish they'd stop getting so many licenses cause the quality of dub scripts are getting lower. They have a great talent pool, but their adaptive writing team badly needs some work.

A lot of these "scandals" are just overly blown up innocuous lines that people read too much into, and mostly by people who don't watch the dubs anyway, I been watching FUNi's SDs the past year and the quality has been nothing short of great.
Take this Magetta incident, he has gone from a gibberish talking man robot to... a gibberish talking man robot. Nothing has really changed. But people are now acting like he was this well developed character with a tragic back story that FUNi suddenly "destoyed" it's laughable really. Nobody cared he got treated like shit in the current JPN arc but all sudden FUNi do something odd with him people start to "care" about this "character".

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

A lot of these "scandals" are just overly blown up innocuous lines that people read too much into, and mostly by people who don't watch the dubs anyway, I been watching FUNi's SDs the past year and the quality has been nothing short of great.
Take this Magetta incident, he has gone from a gibberish talking man robot to... a gibberish talking man robot. Nothing has really changed. But people are now acting like he was this well developed character with a tragic back story that FUNi suddenly "destoyed" it's laughable really. Nobody cared he got treated like shit in the current JPN arc but all sudden FUNi do something odd with him people start to "care" about this "character".
Yeah, I don't get it, Magetta has no character to begin with and he only says "Cho-po" in the original so I don't understand the upset really. If it was say, Hit's chatacter that was being changed, then that'd be something else. Point is, people are getting mad about a chatacter who has no actual character and also only has very little screen time getting played with in the dub and like come on, Magetta isn't some character that people will remember forever so people are honestly getting too heated over it in my opinion
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:07 am

Guys, you all need to understand. Super's Funimation dub is obviously being rushed so that it can air on Toonami, hence why we have some errors in the TV broadcast. Fortunately, Funimation fixes them on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. Probably right now, Funimation is only up to nearing the middle of the Future Trunks arc.

The difference with One Piece is that it doesn't have a TV network to air new episodes on, and even when Toonami was airing the series recently, the DVDs were all ready way ahead of where Toonami was.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 am

superfan2024 wrote:Guys, you all need to understand. Super's Funimation dub is obviously being rushed so that it can air on Toonami, hence why we have some errors in the TV broadcast. Fortunately, Funimation fixes them on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. Probably right now, Funimation is only up to nearing the middle of the Future Trunks arc.

The difference with One Piece is that it doesn't have a TV network to air new episodes on, and even when Toonami was airing the series recently, the DVDs were all ready way ahead of where Toonami was.
As a casual viewer, i really don't feel that Funimation's dub is being rushed.
"Oh dear...."

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 am

Kogu 87 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Guys, you all need to understand. Super's Funimation dub is obviously being rushed so that it can air on Toonami, hence why we have some errors in the TV broadcast. Fortunately, Funimation fixes them on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. Probably right now, Funimation is only up to nearing the middle of the Future Trunks arc.

As a casual viewer, i really don't feel that Funimation's dub is being rushed.
Exactly, that's because Funimation's dub and production is that good not for viewers to feel/think that the series is rushed.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 am

Mercer is pretty good as Hit. Kudos to Sabat for casting him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Episode 27 is rather wonky on the set, Mills rerecorded all of Ayres' Frieza's lines after Frieza powers up, aside from a few, and they forgot to put in the "You know what to do Sorbet" line so it's just silent there

EDIT: It's silent in the Japanese version too when Frieza talks to Sorbet so the Blu-ray is just fixing another mistake from the initial airing of the dub on Toonami
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Episode 27 is rather wonky on the set, Mills rerecorded all of Ayres' Frieza's lines after Frieza powers up, aside from a few, and they forgot to put in the "You know what to do Sorbet" line so it's just silent there
So it is definitely Mills? Definitely impressed more by him this time around.

Perhaps Ayres didn't like how his lines ended up and requested they have Mills redub them?

I'm more surprised you made it through the set that fast! (Unless you just skipped ahead lol).

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Episode 27 is rather wonky on the set, Mills rerecorded all of Ayres' Frieza's lines after Frieza powers up, aside from a few, and they forgot to put in the "You know what to do Sorbet" line so it's just silent there
So it is definitely Mills? Definitely impressed more by him this time around.

Perhaps Ayres didn't like how his lines ended up and requested they have Mills redub them?

I'm more surprised you made it through the set that fast! (Unless you just skipped ahead lol).
Mills definitely does sound great as Frieza here and as for why, I would assume that Sabat just didn't like how Ayres' lines after that point sounded so they had Mills go in and redub a substantial amount of them. Also, the "You know what to do Sorbet" line actually wasn't in the Japanese version, but it was in the dub on Toonami so the Blu-ray fixes that mistake it seems

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 pm

I haven't watched the set yet, but I don't get why they had to change it from the TV edit. Unless they already know that Chris sadly won't be reprising his role in time for the Universe Survival Arc.
I have a feeling they've done it for consistency. Daman Mills is a very able replacement, and Chris has gone for the closest he can get (aside from LittleKuriboh) to Ayres's portrayal.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:05 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
I haven't watched the set yet, but I don't get why they had to change it from the TV edit. Unless they already know that Chris sadly won't be reprising his role in time for the Universe Survival Arc.
I have a feeling they've done it for consistency. Daman Mills is a very able replacement, and Chris has gone for the closest he can get (aside from LittleKuriboh) to Ayres's portrayal.
Oddly enough, they credit only Ayres as Frieza but it's definitely Mills for those lines

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:09 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Oddly enough, they credit only Ayres as Frieza but it's definitely Mills for those lines
Weird. In the TV Edit, they do actually credit Mills & Ayres. So they have totally changed it in dialogue and credits - at least they fixed the Sorbet line.