"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:23 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:The quality of adaption for Funi is really going down with every week a seemingly new scandal breaking out due to a change of character or controversial script change. Maybe the stress of Simuldubbing is finally getting to them. I honestly wish they'd stop getting so many licenses cause the quality of dub scripts are getting lower. They have a great talent pool, but their adaptive writing team badly needs some work.
It's kinda obvious a lot of bloopers have become parts of Super's final copy, tractor line mainly.
I'm pretty sure that's the only blooper line so far that they've kept in, at least that they've readily admitted to. And even so, why is it that bad in that instance? You people keep insisting that they're mangling the sub scripts when dubbing the series, but it seems to me that people are just complaining about only a few instances of something they don't agree with or like, like how overblown the bad animation quality of some of the episodes has made people hate the series overall just for a few instances that, honestly, got fixed for the later home media releases & dubs. Yeah, the animation should've been on point from the start, but considering the heavy time constraints the staff was under to rush the show out the door, I think it's some kind of miracle the whole first 2 arcs didn't turn out that bad.
I get people not liking the overly long gag of the meta humor from Team Four Star's original lines from Kai TFC, but not the one outtake they used in a filler episode's scene that was, apparently, supposed to already be so funny without it. As I've said it already, I wouldn't have laughed without that audio on top of the visuals, so there was something to keeping it.
As for the scripts, yeah, they could use some more QC on them sometimes, but I think the scripts are actually coming out really well otherwise. I mean, they're, obviously, willing to correct lines for the home media releases, so it's not like they're like TV-Nihon & telling you to deal with it for the poor translations &/or bad scripting. They're more like Square Enix, in that Square's been updating Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 since it came out to make sure it's perfectly playable for everyone for the foreseeable future. I think we're lucky they care about feedback so much.
superfan2024 wrote:
Kogu 87 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Super's Funimation dub is obviously being rushed so that it can air on Toonami, hence why we have some errors in the TV broadcast. Fortunately, Funimation fixes them on the DVDs and Blu-Rays.
As a casual viewer, i really don't feel that Funimation's dub is being rushed.
Exactly, that's because Funimation's dub and production is that good not for viewers to feel/think that the series is rushed.
FUNi's dub isn't being rushed. We don't even definitively know when they started recording. They, obviously, record some actor's parts earlier than others, but they're doing so in a timely fashion if anything. Chris was recording his parts of the Resurrection F Arc right up until he had to go to the hospital due to his illness, but I'm thinking most everyone else recorded their parts either around the same point in time, or earlier. Hell, Schemmel records his parts of Goku & King Kai over the internet because he lives in California, though I think he records his screams in Texas. I mean, if you want rushed dubbing, look at Xenoverse 1 & 2.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:The quality of adaption for Funi is really going down with every week a seemingly new scandal breaking out due to a change of character or controversial script change. Maybe the stress of Simuldubbing is finally getting to them. I honestly wish they'd stop getting so many licenses cause the quality of dub scripts are getting lower. They have a great talent pool, but their adaptive writing team badly needs some work.
It's kinda obvious a lot of bloopers have become parts of Super's final copy, tractor line mainly.
I'm pretty sure that's the only blooper line so far that they've kept in, at least that they've readily admitted to. And even so, why is it that bad in that instance? You people keep insisting that they're mangling the sub scripts when dubbing the series, but it seems to me that people are just complaining about only a few instances of something they don't agree with or like, like how overblown the bad animation quality of some of the episodes has made people hate the series overall just for a few instances that, honestly, got fixed for the later home media releases & dubs. Yeah, the animation should've been on point from the start, but considering the heavy time constraints the staff was under to rush the show out the door, I think it's some kind of miracle the whole first 2 arcs didn't turn out that bad.
I get people not liking the overly long gag of the meta humor from Team Four Star's original lines from Kai TFC, but not the one outtake they used in a filler episode's scene that was, apparently, supposed to already be so funny without it. As I've said it already, I wouldn't have laughed without that audio on top of the visuals, so there was something to keeping it.
As for the scripts, yeah, they could use some more QC on them sometimes, but I think the scripts are actually coming out really well otherwise. I mean, they're, obviously, willing to correct lines for the home media releases, so it's not like they're like TV-Nihon & telling you to deal with it for the poor translations &/or bad scripting. They're more like Square Enix, in that Square's been updating Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 since it came out to make sure it's perfectly playable for everyone for the foreseeable future. I think we're lucky they care about feedback so much.
superfan2024 wrote:
Kogu 87 wrote: As a casual viewer, i really don't feel that Funimation's dub is being rushed.
Exactly, that's because Funimation's dub and production is that good not for viewers to feel/think that the series is rushed.
FUNi's dub isn't being rushed. We don't even definitively know when they started recording. They, obviously, record some actor's parts earlier than others, but they're doing so in a timely fashion if anything. Chris was recording his parts of the Resurrection F Arc right up until he had to go to the hospital due to his illness, but I'm thinking most everyone else recorded their parts either around the same point in time, or earlier. Hell, Schemmel records his parts of Goku & King Kai over the internet because he lives in California, though I think he records his screams in Texas. I mean, if you want rushed dubbing, look at Xenoverse 1 & 2.
Xenoverse also suffered from lousy vocal direction. They just gave the actors the script and made them read with no context or video. That is how you got stuff like the English voices not matching the flaps and odd devilries to many lines.

Which is why I keep saying that you shouldn't judged any voice by how they sound in Xenoverse since even the Japanese sub fans called the Japanese acting subpar, especially Cell from what I've heard.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 pm

DHM211 wrote:Not sure if it's been pointed out, but some additional lines of Frieza have been re-dubbed for the blu-ray. I'm not positive, but it sounds like Daman Mills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JINTM ... e=youtu.be
Just finished doing a comparison and after the 12 minute mark, every Frieza line in episode 26 has been redubbed.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:13 am

HeroR wrote:I mean, if you want rushed dubbing, look at Xenoverse 1 & 2.
Xenoverse also suffered from lousy vocal direction. They just gave the actors the script and made them read with no context or video. That is how you got stuff like the English voices not matching the flaps and odd devilries to many lines.

Which is why I keep saying that you shouldn't judged any voice by how they sound in Xenoverse since even the Japanese sub fans called the Japanese acting subpar, especially Cell from what I've heard.[/quote]
Hey, man, I've been saying the same thing, at least of Marsters. And I know that's how the dubbing was done. I'm just saying that it also felt rushed as a result of how they did it.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:10 am

Scsigs wrote:I kind of hope they patch out Hit's voice with Mercer's for Xenoverse 2 & also Schemmel's Goku Black, since they've most likely figured out what they're doing now, with the updated performances to match consistency with both the show & later games, since it'd be weird to leave them as-is. Are they done releasing DLC for the game yet?
Like others have already said, I doubt they would redub Hit's lines just because of Mercer's new take. However, if they were to do it - I think it'd make sense in the event that we get Japan's Xenoverse 2 Deluxe Edition. This would be the perfect chance for Funimation to re-release the game with Hit's updated voice to match the games enhancements. Besides, I think it's perfect to release the Deluxe Edition at this time due to Super now having an English dub when last year, XV2 came out and there was no Super dub. So now, dub fans can get into XV2's Super storylines due to being exposed to Super's story through the English dub (At least, Cabba and Frost - who are the focus of the first XV2 DLC).

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Aaron Roberts will get another role in Super: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 5101745152

I'm betting on him voicing Gowasu or the Grand Priest
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:19 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Aaron Roberts will get another role in Super: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 5101745152

Don't know about Gowasu, but I can definitely see him playing the Grand Priest.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Aaron Roberts will get another role in Super: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 5101745152

For sure there should be something more befitting for him than Hit in DBS, no doubt when DBS is done it'll use all of FUNi's taken poole possibly more if they keep getting outsiders.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:01 am

Good for him. I feel like I'm in a minority on this but I wished they'd kept him on as Hit. Mercer's good, but he's so prolific and still gets used too often as a budget Troy Baker, which is a waste of his talent. At least Roberts would've been distinctive. It's why I was excited by Magetta but meh on Hit last week. Again, minority opinion.

I notice Sabat has had that picture of Zeno with Stewie Griffin's head pinned on his Twitter for a while now. He retweets a lot of joke stuff like that, but this one stayed. With all this talk about the the Super dub going too far with the changes, I wonder... :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Kataphrut wrote:

Good for him. I feel like I'm in a minority on this but I wished they'd kept him on as Hit. Mercer's good, but he's so prolific and still gets used too often as a budget Troy Baker, which is a waste of his talent. At least Roberts would've been distinctive. It's why I was excited by Magetta but meh on Hit last week. Again, minority opinion.

I notice Sabat has had that picture of Zeno with Stewie Griffin's head pinned on his Twitter for a while now. He retweets a lot of joke stuff like that, but this one stayed. With all this talk about the the Super dub going too far with the changes, I wonder... :)
That would be on change that would rile me up, but I don't think they will I am sure they had much fun with Zen-Oh as he is.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Rh3nf ... ploademail
"Ah-I forgot my tractor-Ah, that hurt..."
I swear, the most funniest thrown in joke in the entirety of the franchise for the dubs.

Okora

Post by Okora » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:I mean, if you want rushed dubbing, look at Xenoverse 1 & 2.

Which is why I keep saying that you shouldn't judged any voice by how they sound in Xenoverse since even the Japanese sub fans called the Japanese acting subpar, especially Cell from what I've heard.
Hey, man, I've been saying the same thing, at least of Marsters. And I know that's how the dubbing was done. I'm just saying that it also felt rushed as a result of how they did it.[/quote]
Yes and no. The thing about xenoverse is that they couldn't actually edit it to make the lip flaps work it didn't have to do with direction. And for xenoverse the english scrip was very rushed I think Schemmel said on twitter that they only had a few days to record everything

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Okora wrote: Yes and no. The thing about xenoverse is that they couldn't actually edit it to make the lip flaps work it didn't have to do with direction. And for xenoverse the english scrip was very rushed I think Schemmel said on twitter that they only had a few days to record everything
TFS talked about their experience. They more or less said they were handed a script and told to read with no context.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:52 am

HeroR wrote:
Okora wrote: Yes and no. The thing about xenoverse is that they couldn't actually edit it to make the lip flaps work it didn't have to do with direction. And for xenoverse the english scrip was very rushed I think Schemmel said on twitter that they only had a few days to record everything
TFS talked about their experience. They more or less said they were handed a script and told to read with no context.
Exactly. And on the subject, yeah they could've edited the mouth movements to fit the English dialogue. It would've required a bit more development time, but if companies like Square Enix can edit the mouth movements to match dubs of their games, Dimps could do the exact same thing. Either that, or they could give FUNi the cutscenes for the cast to lip match. Those things are the exact same, just rendered in real time with the different created characters.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:11 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Exactly. And on the subject, yeah they could've edited the mouth movements to fit the English dialogue. It would've required a bit more development time, but if companies like Square Enix can edit the mouth movements to match dubs of their games, Dimps could do the exact same thing. Either that, or they could give FUNi the cutscenes for the cast to lip match. Those things are the exact same, just rendered in real time with the different created characters.
That is more on Namco than Dimps. Despite the money Xenoverse makes, you can tell it was made on the cheap.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 am

I remember not long after XV2 was announced someone asked Schemmel when he was gonna record and he said he already had! It seems they dubbed it in May 16 which explains why they didn't know anything about Goku Black other than Toei telling them it's an "evil Goku".

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 am

Can someone with the Part 2 Blu-ray confirm if this is true?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
That is more on Namco than Dimps. Despite the money Xenoverse makes, you can tell it was made on the cheap.
Dimps was the developer, they had the ability to alter the files.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:36 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Exactly. And on the subject, yeah they could've edited the mouth movements to fit the English dialogue. It would've required a bit more development time, but if companies like Square Enix can edit the mouth movements to match dubs of their games, Dimps could do the exact same thing. Either that, or they could give FUNi the cutscenes for the cast to lip match. Those things are the exact same, just rendered in real time with the different created characters.
Dimps was the developer, they had the ability to alter the files.
Not if it isn’t in the budget.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:52 pm

#40 title- "A Decision at Last! Is the Winner Beerus? Or Is It Champa?".